Fullbuster

In the reboot of Thor, Thor will be a woman!

1. No writer is going to say that they were forced to do this. That almost always comes out years later.

2. Frank Miller is/was still a huge influence on Batman and we got TDKSB and ASBAR

3. The fact that they were announced on talk shows first of all with the intention being that the general public would see rings awfully close to The Death of Superman.

4. New 52 was done to drum up falling sales. New 52 isn't entirely good and I'm excited for it to most likely end next year.

5. Daredevil: Born Again, Fraction's run on Iron Fist, Some of Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run, some of the early 2000s Spider-Man stuff etc etc

1. No writer is going to say that they were forced to do this. That almost always comes out years later.

Wrong.

Several writers have left books and gone on record that they didn't want to follow through with with editorial mandates. Azzarello for one, has repeatedly expressed his displeasure with the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship.

It's also clear that you don't know much about either Jason Aaron or Rick Remender, if you think they are going to resign themselves to telling stories they don't want to tell for dozens of issues, and then be quiet about it.

2. Frank Miller is/was still a huge influence on Batman and we got TDKSB and ASBAR

Yes, but he didn't define the character as you claimed. The character had already been defined.

And The Dark Knight Strikes Back isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out be. It has its flaws, and the JokerRobin development is garbage, but there's still a lot of good things in the book that people would see if they didn't go in expecting a rehash of The Dark Knight Returns.

3. The fact that they were announced on talk shows first of all with the intention being that the general public would see rings awfully close to The Death of Superman.

Taking advantage of something that can generate publicity isn't the same as doing something for the sake of publicity.

Nothing about the new Thor rings close to the Death of Superman. That storyline came about because writers had to put all their stories on old, because they were told they had to match up the Clark/Lois marriage in the comics with that of the TV show that was airing at the time. He wasn't even supposed to be dead as long as he was, but they kept him dead because of how well the comics were selling, and the attention they were receiving.

On the other hand, all Marvel did regarding the new Thor, is announce what would be happening, so that that it would garner some attention. Not the same thing as a decision made because of decisions made by people not involved in the creative process, for purely commercial reasons.

So, you have no proof to provide.

4. New 52 was done to drum up falling sales. New 52 isn't entirely good and I'm excited for it to most likely end next year.

That's a very simple look at why the Nu52 occurred, and reversing continuity isn't going to change the poor state of editorial at DC, but that's a whole other matter that we don't have to get into.

As for something being entirely good, neither was Pre-Crisis continuity or Post-Crisis continuity. And you're excited for another potential publicity stunt, or something that's an ongoing publicity stunt?

What happened to publicity stunt = bad?

Daredevil: Born Again, Fraction's run on Iron Fist, Some of Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run, some of the early 2000s Spider-Man stuff etc etc

:rofl:

So stuff that that made changes, sometimes even to the entire status quo. Well, at least you're not still going with the change = bad angle, because if that were still the case, listing these comics would be laughable, considering how you came across with your early posts in this thread. :lol:

Edited by Mitsuru Kirijo

New 52 has turned into a mixed bag now.  Alot of characters have become so much more interesting while others have been changed to be just pointless (Superboy) 

When it comes to Darkseid....there just hasn't been enough of him in the Nu52 to draw a proper conclusion. Though the Earth 2 story and the return of the Anti-monitor has me salivating for a face with the lord of Apokolops. 

As for fem-Thor. I don't see the point arguing about her as eventually Thor will return. Its just a story. Go with it. Things need to be mixed up now and then. Gives other characters some development for future stories. Its like the Superior Spiderman story....people made a big deal about it but when Peter returned there's a new challenge for him to face now i.e getting his reputation back etc.

These type of temporary changes i can live with.  Changes to a characters race *glares at Wally* for no apparent reason is what i don't like.

I love how at this point, Fox News is just a caricaturist parody of themselves.  :lol:

They complained about Wonder Woman having pants, using a design from a specific storyline from three years ago. :lol:

I could forgive them for saying there's never been a male "Wonder Woman", since that's more obscure, but the pants thing, come on. -_-

They complained about Wonder Woman having pants, using a design from a specific storyline from three years ago. :lol:

I could forgive them for saying there's never been a male "Wonder Woman", since that's more obscure, but the pants thing, come on. -_-

Yeah, they aren't even bothering to be legit now. Also, in that video, they managed to check every stereotypical trait expected of them. Whining about empowerment "going too far" because of something as trivial as a fictional female character replaced a male character? Check. Praising Wonder Woman's previous "patriotic" costume while simultaneously patronizing her? Check. Labeling the reduction of oversexualization of women in media as "Islamist"? Check. It's like I said before. That video felt like an SNL sketch of Fox News, a lazily written one at that! :D

• Like 3

I mean some comic fans in general who excuse any poor decision made by Marvel and DC.

These kind of fanboys seem to be much rarer, and there's the matter of what is and isn't a poor decision varying from person to person.

I'm not really happy with the state of either ATM 

Well, there's no accounting for taste. You can't really help it if you just don't like something.

As for me, other than some editorial problems at DC, both companies are doing well enough. Lots of good books from both publishers.

DC's got Action Comics, Batman, Aquaman, Batman/Superman, Astro City, Batman '66, Superman, Coffin Hill, Deadboy Detectives, Fables, Fairest, Swamp Thing, Justice League United, Justice League (Forever Evil really gave the series a shot in the arm), Grayson, Red Lanterns, Wonder Woman (though it'll drop in quality pretty soon), Sinestro, Multiversity, Superman Unchained (ending with the next issue), Sandman Overture (the best comic coming out right now from any publisher), Gotham Academy, and if the previews are anything to go by, Batgirl (coming out next week), then we've also got the upcoming Secret Six by Gail Simone.

Marvel's got Uncanny Avengers, Thor, The Death of Wolverine (the build-up sucked, but the actual mini has been good), New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier, Captain America (new volume is launching, but it's got the same writer), Daredevil, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (ending next month), Hawkeye, All New Invaders, Black Widow, Elektra, Loki: Agent of Asgard, She-Hulk, Storm, then we've got a S.H.I.E.L.D series coming from Mark Waid, Tom Taylor's Iron Man, and the Angela series involving Kieron Gillen.

There are things I wish they would do differently (like getting a better editor for the Superman books, better treatment of the New Gods, getting Bendis away from the X-books, etc), but I can't fault either for a lack of good comics.

Edited by Mitsuru Kirijo

I give the Thor as woman stunt 18 issues max. Wouldn't be shocked if it's 12, especially with all their grand hype up for their summer '15 event already. Geez, summer '14 just ended, AXIS just started...is it too much to ask for a few months of character building before the next "universe altering" moment. 

Try VALIANT comics people, nice alternative to the cluster stories at the Big 2. 

IDW's TMNT ongoing comic is excellent. 

Dark Horse's smaller superhero line, Project Black Sky is great with Captain Midnight, X, Ghost, Occultist, Blackout, King Tiger. A sampler issue hit shelves yesterday(10/15), 4 issues for $5.