Plain Old Tele

Michael Mann's "Untitled" cyberthriller - over 100m in China Club

But to be fair to Tele, this would be about the equivalent of a Christopher Nolan Joint doing bad in that I consider Michael Mann and Nolan about equal.. Meaning, it'll eventually happen with one of Nolan's movies and Tele will have his Revenge..

Cinematic-Gifs-16.gif

Nolan ain't doing Blackhat type disaster, I predict that.

I mean, Mann is awesome. Was awesome? But he's never been in the box office league Nolan is.

• Like 1

All movie makers at some point in their career make a dud or 2.. Spielberg has made some lackluster movies, but obviously some great ones as well... It happens and will happen with Nolan.. I mean, INTERSTELLAR didn't exactly light the world on fire either..

Honestly, Spielberg never made a bomb as totally bombastic as Blackhat. 1941? Always? Sorry, none that bad. His lowest grossing movie since Jaws is Empire of the Sun and that still easily tripled Blackhat's gross I. The mid 80s. And gave us...Batman.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

This may not have been released in China, but it was released in Taiwan...which China considers a part of itself, when convenient...

I happened to be in Taipei in Jan. 2015 for this film's local red carpet premiere.  Hemsworth and Mann didn't see fit to show, but the evening was attended by Chinese-born Tang Wei, who was infamously "banned from acting"/blacklisted for a few years by the Chinese government after her appearance in Ang Lee's Lust, Caution (2007).

Tang Wei had also just married a South Korean film director in 2014...I'm guessing that didn't help the Chinese government's perception of her...or Blackhat.  ;-)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1