Neo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | 5.5.2017 | William Hurt Returns as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

14 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-guardians-galaxy-vol-2-could-rake-100m-overseas-bow-997194

The gang is back in theaters.

Director James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 begins rolling out overseas on Tuesday, more than a week ahead of its debut in North America, where it kicks off the summer box office on May 5.

Tracking suggests the quirky superhero tentpole, from Disney and Marvel Studios, could approach or top $100 million from its first 58 foreign territories. Major markets include Australia, France, Germany, Brazil, the U.K. and Mexico.

When comparing previous Marvel debuts in the same suite of markets at today's exchange rates, 2013's Iron Man 3 debuted to $141.4 million, followed by $85.4 million for 2013's Thor: The Dark World and $64.6 million for the first Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

In North America, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is tracking to open in the $130 million-$150 million range, well ahead of the first film's $94.7 million launch in early August 2014. The movie was a surprise hit and went on to earn $733 million globally, a rousing number considering it featured a rag-tag group of lesser-known superheroes.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will open in raft of other major territories next week, including North Korea (May 3), Russia (May 4) and China (May 5).

North Korea?!?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Ugh np. -1. Mcu far exceeds the Sony Spider-Man movies. Spidey doesn't hold up at all.

Which is funny because those two first Raimi movies plus the first two Xmen movies tonally informed the MCU formula.

58 minutes ago, RRA said:

I remember years back him bitching about these spandex movies helping to put him and other action stars of his era out to pasture.

Mel Gibson did the same thing and then was in talks for Suicide Squad 2 (even if it its not going to pan out).

23 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-guardians-galaxy-vol-2-could-rake-100m-overseas-bow-997194

In North America, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is tracking to open in the $130 million-$150 million range, well ahead of the first film's $94.7 million launch in early August 2014. The movie was a surprise hit and went on to earn $733 million globally, a rousing number considering it featured a rag-tag group of lesser-known superheroes.

wow Chris Pratt is climbing that A-list. His last years have been so successful. Talk about hitting the jackpot!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

Which is funny because those two first Raimi movies plus the first two Xmen movies tonally informed the MCU formula.

Not surprising when you realize who pushed Fox and Sony to make Marvel movies (Arad and Permutter) and also who cut their teeth as a producer (Feige) on those early films

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/05/01/8375925/

His early efforts confirmed that he was onto something - and also underscored Marvel's dilemma. The company had been able to license many of its characters to studios, but the sense in Hollywood was that, unlike rival DC Comics's Batman and Superman, Marvel heroes were too complex, conflicted, and fantastical for mass appeal.

A crack in the resistance opened when Arad, after years of trying, finally helped coax New Line Studios into making a low-budget film based on an obscure Marvel line. Blade, released in 1998 and starring Wesley Snipes as a vampire hunting for fellow bloodsuckers, raked in $133 million worldwide at the box office. "Blade was the least likely to succeed," Arad says. "That was the first time it seemed clear to Hollywood that the Marvel franchise was something special."

Yet Arad says Marvel made only $25,000 from the first Blade movie, thanks to lousy licensing terms negotiated years earlier by Perelman lawyers. But the movie's success gave Arad leverage with reluctant studios. Fox, for instance, nearly balked at making the first X-Men film. "They almost didn't buy it as a movie," Arad recalls. "But we told them that if another studio buys it, they're going to look like dorks." Fox bit - and X-Men grossed nearly $300 million globally following its 2000 release. Hollywood jumped on the Marvel bandwagon, pumping out two Men in Black films (total worldwide gross: $1 billion), the Spider-Man megahits, and profitable films based on lesser Marvel characters like Daredevil and the Punisher.

As the hits kept coming, Arad was able to renegotiate some old licensing deals and extract sweeter terms on new ones, but he and Marvel still chafed under the lopsided financial arrangements. It was bad enough that Arad was able to bump licensing fees up to a maximum of only about 10 percent of box office receipts. But studios really cleaned up on ever-increasing sales of DVDs, which now account for more than half of the total profit on a film.

Marvel's share of DVD sales was minuscule - less than a percentage point in most cases. "That was the real impetus" for figuring out a way to dramatically increase the company's take from its characters, says former Marvel Entertainment CEO Allen Lipson. "We were getting such a small share of the DVD revenues. How do you get more?"

After months of furious brainstorming, a Marvel team led by David Maisel, the former top strategic planner at Disney who had been hired as COO of Marvel Studios specifically to guide the process, came up with a handful of options. Last on the list, because it was considered the riskiest, was to create a slate of self-made films.

"I didn't think it could be done," Lipson recalls. "We didn't want to be on the hook for all the costs of doing films." But Arad pushed hard, and eventually Marvel green-lighted a plan to make as many as a dozen films during the next several years while - so Marvel hopes - minimizing the chance that a string of duds could sink the company.

Under the plan, Marvel created a separate subsidiary to borrow $525 million from Merrill Lynch for films based on Ant-Man, Captain America, Nick Fury, and seven other characters. Marvel tried to structure the loan to protect the parent company; under its terms, in case of default, lenders are generally barred from coming after the parent company's assets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-03/kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises#p3

For years the film studios had been dithering about making the movies they’d paid for. Spider-Man, before its 2002 release, had been in development for years. Perlmutter’s plan was to drive toy sales by getting the reluctant movie studios to do something with their dormant rights to Marvel’s heroes. In the meantime, he taught Marvel a thing or two about watching its budget, which may partially explain its still-threadbare couches.

As Feige consumed stacks of Marvel comics, he wondered why others working on X-Men didn’t do the same. “I would hear people, other executives, struggling over a character point, or struggling over how to make a connection, or struggling over how to give even surface-level depth to an action scene or to a character,” Feige recalls. “I’d be sitting there reading the comics going, ‘Look at this. Just do this. This is incredible.’ ”

X-Men made $424 million worldwide. Feige says this is because he worked with Singer to portray the mutants as they had been in the comic books: an anguished ensemble of youthful heroes torn between saving humanity and turning against it as their enemies in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants did. Avi Arad, head of Marvel’s nascent film division, was impressed. He hired Feige the same year to be his second-in-command.

Arad and Feige spent much of their time trying to persuade executives making Marvel movies at Fox, Sony, and New Line not to screw them up by deviating from the original source material. They cut up comics and created guidebooks to get their point across. “I was like a preacher,” Arad says. “I would go in and say to these people, ‘Look at the comics. You can cut the panels, put them together, and you have a beautiful storyboard.’ ”

They were pleased with director Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man movies for Sony Pictures. The films did wonders for sales of Marvel toys. Arad and Feige were less happy with other films. Feige won’t name them, but surely they include Fox’s much-scorned Elektra, a 2005 movie in which Jennifer Garner appears as Marvel’s popular ninja-trained assassin. It lost $44 million, estimates media analyst SNL Kagan. Marvel also faced a larger problem. Its shares rose as movies opened and fell when there was nothing in the theaters. But the company couldn’t order Sony to put out the next Spider-Man film. Movie release dates would get postponed, and investors would dump Marvel’s stock.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Mel Gibson did the same thing and then was in talks for Suicide Squad 2 (even if it its not going to pan out).

He also said he would not be adverse to do doing Iron Man 4.

40 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Money talks. 

To be fair Sly never called BVS stupid unlike Mad Mel...

Sly comments was simply 80's type of action movie and that 80's action movie stars are gone, now it is superheroes, the idea that they would still be going on without them is probably false, but it didn't had much implied negativity toward them. Just a bit like someone making stamp saying that the e-mail took away is business.

It opens on 1 screen in North Korea with 1 attendee. He's a huge fan. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, RRA said:

North Korea?!?

I doubt North Korea allows any Hollywood movies whatsoever, and since the article referred to "major markets" it's safe to assume that they meant South Korea. 

This is the greatest piece of marketing since the Minions Amazon boxes. They're releasing bags of Doritos that will let you listen to the entire G2 soundtrack in full. I'm not kidding. The bags will be available for purchase on Amazon for a limited time, so not getting sold in stores. IDK the cost, but who cares? This is genius.

This isn't the first time Frito Lays has done this, but this is definitely a first for a movie. So damn clever.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, jandrew said:

This is the greatest piece of marketing since the Minions Amazon boxes. They're releasing bags of Doritos that will let you listen to the entire G2 soundtrack in full. I'm not kidding.

HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHA

13 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I doubt North Korea allows any Hollywood movies whatsoever, and since the article referred to "major markets" it's safe to assume that they meant South Korea. 

Yeah, they don't play there but you can catch Foreign films at the yearly film festival

http://www.gq.com/story/north-korean-film-festival-exclusive

I Survived the North Korean Film Festival

Remember when Pyongyang freaked out about that Seth Rogen movie, all those Sony e-mails were leaked, and hackers threatened to attack American theaters? Well, it turns out that North Koreans have always taken film seriously—like, kidnap-your-favorite-director seriously—and their signature cultural event is a full-on propaganda-packed cinemapalooza that's closed to nearly all foreigners. On assignment for GQ, one intrepid reporter risked his freedom and his sanity to spend eight surreal days watching movies in the Hermit Kingdom

Edited by TalismanRing

I've been saying this for a good while: Marvel Comics needs an intervention. When I say an intervention, a Kevin Feige / Marvel Studios / Disney intervention. Ike Perlmutter's reign needs to end. 

http://mashable.com/2017/04/25/captain-america-hydra-nazi-marvel-comics/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#GESsFVbPjsqH

And before you say that all press is good press, how it's just a story, fuck no. I'm not even born in the USA neither I'm jewish, I don't even know anyone jewish. But I'm fairly aware of Marvel Comics history and history in general. There's no such thing as all press is good press, and if this has worked for Marvel Comics in the past, it stopped working for a while now. Secret Empire is not selling well and the whole Hydra Cap thing is a PR nightmare no different than the whole Pepsi and United fiascos. In fact, I'd say it's even worse. This kind of thing doesn't help sell comics neither its cost is good enough to justify "good storytelling". Stories mean something. Imagery means something. All I can see is Marvel Comics damaging their brand, and this has been going for far too long now. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jandrew said:

This is the greatest piece of marketing since the Minions Amazon boxes. They're releasing bags of Doritos that will let you listen to the entire G2 soundtrack in full. I'm not kidding. The bags will be available for purchase on Amazon for a limited time, so not getting sold in stores. IDK the cost, but who cares? This is genius.

This isn't the first time Frito Lays has done this, but this is definitely a first for a movie. So damn clever.

• Like 5