Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

I was browsing RT and saw these reactions. Boy am I hyped :)

We’ve been waiting 14 years – was the wait worth it?

“Hey, 14 years was worth the wait! Incredibles 2 is a whole lot of fun…People who loved the first movie will be pleased.” – Mike Ryan, Uproxx

“A charming, fun, smart, satisfying superhero story that was worth the wait.” – Kate Erbland, IndieWire

Are we really surprised Incredibles 2 is incredible?

“I had my doubts, but was thoroughly impressed.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“I spent 14 years arguing that the world didn’t need an Incredibles 2. After tonight, I would welcome an Incredibles 3 with open arms.” – Scott Mendelson, Forbes

“It should surprise no one that Incredibles 2 is a flat out masterpiece — thrilling, moving and impeccably designed. Worth every second of the 14 year wait.” – Drew Taylor, The Playlist

How does it compare to the original?

“I really liked the first one, I LOVED this one.” – Kristian Harloff, Schmoes Know

“It improves on practically everything from the original.” – Chris E. Hayner, GameSpot

“A worthy sequel to a tough act to follow.” – Simon Thompson, IGN

And how does it compare to other Pixar movies?

Incredibles 2 is probably the best sequel Pixar has made outside of the Toy Story franchise.” – Kyle Buchanan, Vulture

How’s the action?

Incredibles 2 is great! Amazing action sequences.” – Kristopher Tapley, Variety

“The action is  bigger and better than before… Another Pixar winner.” – Germain Lussier, io9

“The action set pieces are tasty, impressive, never over-egged. Plenty for kids and adults to get their teeth into and a few belly laughs too.” – Simon Thompson, IGN

The original had a great score, how’s the music this time?

“That score! More A+ work from Michael Giacchino that I’m gonna need to own.” – Perri Nemiroff, Collider

Which character runs away with the movie?

“WOW is Jack Jack a scene stealer.” – Perri Nemiroff, Collider

“Jack Jack steals the show!” – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

“Jack Jack steals the show but that was to be expected.” – Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

“Jack Jack and Edna are even better the second time around.” – Joelle Monique, Polygon

Will I laugh?

“Super funny” – Germain Lussier, io9

“Super-funny (see what I did there?).” – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia 

What’s in it for moms and dads?

“I would like to personally thank the men and women of Pixar for making one of the best documentaries about parenthood I have ever seen.” – Matt Singer, Screen Crush

OK, but are there no complaints at all? 

“It takes a while to get going but has good messages even if some of them are a bit heavy handed.” – Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

“There’s a little bit of predictability in the story.” – Chris E. Hayner, GameSpot

“It shares some narrative DNA with the first film but it works nonetheless.” – Germain Lussier, io9

Is this the movie of the summer?

“Will go down as one of the best titles of the summer.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“My favorite summer movie so far this season….Sweet, hilarious, and terrific pacing w/ a breezy story packed w/ action & heart.” – Erik Davis, Fandango

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

If we say the cutoff for 40m admissions is around 370m today, then these are the only sequels ever to increase adjusted on a predecessor that made at least 370m adjusted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 

Toy Story 2

Toy Story 3

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Shrek 2

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Catching Fire

So by getting to 400m, I2 would already be in a club of only 10 other films in history. There is nothing disappointing about 400m for this if it ended there, just to  nip that in the bud if that's the thought process people are on now. 

Most logical post here. 

I don't think Toy Story 3 outgrossed 2 though? It lost in admissions that I know.

4 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

if this does 140-145 ow, say 142.5, needs 3.42x to beat Dory's dom.

even lowering expectations 130*3.3 = ~430 looks like the least this will movie do while the high-end could be what, around 100 more than that...

Right now I am in the high-end of your range. Lack of competition. Lots ot time without a strong animated film. Great release schedule. SH movies are on a roll. Female audience interested because the focus is on Elastigirl. Hype and awareness already huge. Pixar goodwill has increased again after Dory and Coco. Impressive first reactions. It appeals also to adults. Nostalgia.

Seriously, I can't think of any weak points that could hurt Incredibles 2 potential breakout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stripe said:

Right now I am in the high-end of your range. Lack of competition. Lots ot time without a strong animated film. Great release schedule. SH movies are on a roll. Female audience interested because the focus is on Elastigirl. Hype and awareness already huge. Pixar goodwill has increased again after Dory and Coco. Impressive first reactions. It appeals also to adults. Nostalgia.

Seriously, I can't think of any weak points that could hurt Incredibles 2 potential breakout.

Same. It literally has everything aligned for it do incredibly well. Overperform even. 

7 minutes ago, stripe said:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

cbm fatigue

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Not a weak point per se, but basically overestimating the amount of people who turned out for the original who will be coming to this. 

As referenced previously, if Toy Story 3 coming out 11-12 years after Toy Story 2 could not increase its admissions despite all those returning from nostalgia + the hundreds/thousands/millions of kids born in between as new audience members, why would TI2 be predisposed to do so instead? 

16 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Not a weak point per se, but basically overestimating the amount of people who turned out for the original who will be coming to this. 

As referenced previously, if Toy Story 3 coming out 11-12 years after Toy Story 2 could not increase its admissions despite all those returning from nostalgia + the hundreds/thousands/millions of kids born in between as new audience members, why would TI2 be predisposed to do so instead? 

Toy Story 3 increased in admissions from Toy Story 2, at least that's what BOM says (53,3M vs 47,8M)

Anything over 300m DOM is good, anything over TI's adjusted 385m DOM is fantastic 

14 years ago, when I was what, 11, after school I begged my dad all afternoon to take me to Incredibles. Begged, begged, begged. He caved, let me get some McDonalds, and took me. 

14 years later, I'll be taking him lol. Incredibles ended up being one of his favorite movies - if not his favorite. He won't admit it, but he's always giddy when it's on. He tries to play macho and when I showed him the teaser trailer he was like "mhm that's cool", but over Memorial weekend when family was in town I brought it up and he was like "yep ima be there opening night too!"

I don't think Incredibles captivated kids, I think it captivated families. Like Dory and TS3, this is gonna be a situation where the long gap helps more than hurts. Also a win for Pixar that the superhero genre blew up like it did. This movie will be huge.

• Like 10

I really don’t think we should underestimate the fact that this will be the first animated movie since Coco and the first big movie to directly target family audiences since AWIT/Peter Rabbit (and neither of those were all that big).

It also has no direct competition until HT3 and Teen Titans! Go (which is much weaker comp then what recent Pixar hits like IO and FD faced).

It’s pretty much primed to be the family movie of the year.  I don’t think there’s actually a good historical comparison for this one.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I really don’t think we should underestimate the fact that this will be the first animated movie since Coco and the first big movie to directly target family audiences since AWIT/Peter Rabbit (and neither of those were all that big).

It also has no direct competition until HT3 and Teen Titans! Go (which is much weaker comp then what recent Pixar hits like IO and FD faced).

It’s pretty much primed to be the family movie of the year.  I don’t think there’s actually a good historical comparison for this one.

The only closest comparison is Finding Dory, and I think The Incredibles is targeting a somewhat older audience then that film. 

It wouldn't be surprised at all, if it outgrossed HT3 on its opening weekend alone, that's how big it's gonna be. Families are starved for "new content", and The Incredibles 2 is gonna deliver that in spades. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 4

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

The only closest comparison is Finding Dory, and I think The Incredibles is targeting a somewhat older audience then that film. 

It wouldn't be surprised at all, if it outgrossed HT3 on its opening weekend alone, that's how big it's gonna be. Families are starved for 
"new content", and The Incredibles 2 is gonna deliver that in spades. 

Yeah, I think it’ll also help that we’ve had a few weeks for the market to calm down, the only other movie that’ll gross over 10m that weekend will be Ocean’s 8.

Superheroes are also much more popular than they were when TI came out, which will help this one.  This’ll bring in new audiences because of that, and it’ll bring back the old audienc who saw the first as kids and have been clamoring for a sequel.

Just look at that the viewcount on the first teaser trailer being over 80m, and compare that to Finding Dory was in the 20m range pre-release.  There’s some sky high interest in this one.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Yeah, I think it’ll also help that we’ve had a few weeks for the market to calm down, the only other movie that’ll gross over 10m that weekend will be Ocean’s 8.

Superheroes are also much more popular than they were when TI came out, which will help this one.  This’ll bring in new audiences because of that, and it’ll bring back the old audienc who saw the first as kids and have been clamoring for a sequel.

Just look at that the viewcount on the first teaser trailer being over 80m, and compare that to Finding Dory was in the 20m range pre-release.  There’s some sky high interest in this one.

In retrospect, Pixar and Bird taking as long as they did to make The Incredibles 2, especially when the superhero craze really took off, was a stroke of genius. Kids and adults equally should really enjoy the film.

I think the film could do 500m at this point. Presales are incredibly high, and reviews are looking to be really strong as well. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2