Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Not necessarily.  It could also mean more children's tickets were sold for T2 than T3 which considering the nostalgia hook of T3 and that those were children when the first two came out were now adults makes sense.

We are saying the same thing. TS2 sold more tickets in total but because they were children ticket's, the gross for TS3 is higher. The other thing that is inflating the TS3 gross is 3D. Also, the adjusted figures are produced using the average ticket price, which is quite a useless figure when it comes to individual films. It's only useful to estimate the total number of admissions sold during an entire year in all cinemas across the country.

• Like 1

The inflation adjusted numbers aren't perfect, but they're the best we've got. It's impossible to account for every single qualifier that might have affected discrepancies between ticket price and number of tickets sold, and there is something to be said for people being more willing to pay higher prices for a single ticket. 

Edited by tribefan695

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just noticed the OW in Japan last weekend. Yikes, that's one of the lowest for Pixar there, not much better than Cars 3. Might not make half of the first there if it doesn't have amazing WOM. Wonder what happened? 

Darn good question, it will be lucky to make 1/4 what the first one made (almost $50 million). Low# of screens, availability of bootlegs??? 

36 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just noticed the OW in Japan last weekend. Yikes, that's one of the lowest for Pixar there, not much better than Cars 3. Might not make half of the first there if it doesn't have amazing WOM. Wonder what happened? 

But on the other hand this 2nd we in Japan has increased 10%, so seems good wom is starting to have an effect ... 

From Japan box office thread, I2 is on the way to match the original TI numbers, with around ¥5B+ what means around $45M. So, probably on the average Pixar bo numbers. Not big deal, but not a disaster either. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Darn good question, it will be lucky to make 1/4 what the first one made (almost $50 million). Low# of screens, availability of bootlegs??? 

Actualy it's doing pretty good, actualy it's doing good (It's OW was pretty bad, to very bad) but since than it has been holding very well (second weekend had a 10% increase over last weekend). And next week is holiday week so it will be close to or over $30m by next weekend. (It had the highest increases and softest drops in the top 6 over the last 6 days.). The real test will be how it will hold after the Obon festival.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

hmmm .... I2 is already at $18.6M in Japan, that's already 37% of what TI made there ($49.9M). Way above that 25% you said. And this coming week is the biggest box office week of the year in Japan, good wom, 2nd we increase of 10% ... i'd say matching the 50M from the predecessor is kind of easy. Not going any further though. But between 40-50 seems a safe bet for I2. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Premium George said:

I agree. Unlike dory and I2, TS4 will need a great marketing.

Especially with Pets 2 nearby and we know how Illumination does OS, Lion King will also be huge OS and to a lesser extent Aladdin too.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Premium George said:

I agree. Unlike dory and I2, TS4 will need a great marketing.

I doubt Toy Story needs a great marketing campaign (though Disney will make it) ... Toy Story is huge cinema brand itself without needing to be attached to Disney or Pixar. It's gained that status by being a huge beloved saga.

14 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Especially with Pets 2 nearby and we know how Illumination does OS, Lion King will also be huge OS and to a lesser extent Aladdin too.

Toy Story 3 is the biggest Pixar movie overseas, with 651M os (and I think they didn't even released in China, or at least boxofficemojo doesn't show a China box office for TS3). Second is Coco with 595M os (with 189M coming from China alone). True that Illumination is a beast os, but TS is the biggest Pixar brand os, so will be a big rival. (anyway, I think The Lion King will devour them all, dom and os).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

People are seriously underestimating Aladdin's potential OS. 

I think Aladdin would have worked better on july 2020 as the big summer movie (on the place TLK takes on summer 2019). And going a bit low profile for the Memorial Day we. It's gonna follow the same pattern this 2018 had ... the Memorial Day we movie sandwiched between a huge Avengers 4 and a huge Pixar movie that will kill legs, and then TLK to definitely kill whatever late legs (end of july and august) could have. 

And that saddens me, because that will probably mean Aladdin should settle for some 250 dom and some 700 ww when it could have potential for an easy 1B+ and beyond ww (BATB numbers) with a july release.

5 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I doubt Toy Story needs a great marketing campaign (though Disney will make it) ... Toy Story is huge cinema brand itself without needing to be attached to Disney or Pixar. It's gained that status by being a huge beloved saga.

Toy Story 3 is the biggest Pixar movie overseas, with 651M os (and I think they didn't even released in China, or at least boxofficemojo doesn't show a China box office for TS3). Second is Coco with 595M os (with 189M coming from China alone). True that Illumination is a beast os, but TS is the biggest Pixar brand os, so will be a big rival. (anyway, I think The Lion King will devour them all, dom and os).

Like Avatar, Toy Story 3 had an extremely favorable ER and a very high 3D share for an animated movie. Its OS gross would probably adjust to around $500 million with ER today. It's true that inflation and China (Toy Story 3 made around $17 million there) will make up some of that, but I don't think beating or even matching Toy Story 3 OS is going to be easy unless Toy Story 4 is an even better film. For now, I'm guessing it will earn close to what Incredibles 2 is making internationally- around $600 million OS.

11 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I think Aladdin would have worked better on july 2020 as the big summer movie (on the place TLK takes on summer 2019). And going a bit low profile for the Memorial Day we. It's gonna follow the same pattern this 2018 had ... the Memorial Day we movie sandwiched between a huge Avengers 4 and a huge Pixar movie that will kill legs, and then TLK to definitely kill whatever late legs (end of july and august) could have. 

And that saddens me, because that will probably mean Aladdin should settle for some 250 dom and some 700 ww when it could have potential for an easy 1B+ and beyond ww (BATB numbers) with a july release.

Maybe it will be affected DOM (though I've seen a lot of people saying why TS4 is needed in the first place so I don't see the anticipation on I2 levels) but OS Aladdin will be no Solo. 

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Maybe it will be affected DOM (though I've seen a lot of people saying why TS4 is needed in the first place so I don't see the anticipation on I2 levels) but OS Aladdin will be no Solo. 

I hope so too, I really want Aladdin to be one of the stories of the year at the box office and go BATB numbers. TLK and Aladdin are my favorite Disney movies ever.