Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

11 hours ago, Jandrew said:

14 years ago, when I was what, 11, after school I begged my dad all afternoon to take me to Incredibles. Begged, begged, begged. He caved, let me get some McDonalds, and took me. 

14 years later, I'll be taking him lol. Incredibles ended up being one of his favorite movies - if not his favorite. He won't admit it, but he's always giddy when it's on. He tries to play macho and when I showed him the teaser trailer he was like "mhm that's cool", but over Memorial weekend when family was in town I brought it up and he was like "yep ima be there opening night too!"

I don't think Incredibles captivated kids, I think it captivated families. Like Dory and TS3, this is gonna be a situation where the long gap helps more than hurts. Also a win for Pixar that the superhero genre blew up like it did. This movie will be huge.

I really don't have much to add to this (I agree wholeheartedly), but I have a similar story. When I got the trailer at Infinity War, I was sitting next to my aunt who was in town for graduation and after the movie she said the only movie she wanted to see was that because "I loved taking you that when you were little!" I think a lot of older audience members are excited for this one too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BK007 said:

What's the point of making a prediction like this though? 

Without any articulation of why, we might as well talk about our dreams & wishes for films to make more than they would because we like them and that invalidates the purpose of the forum. 

But what’s the point of not making it?

5 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

But what’s the point of not making it?

Well...

I was predicting 650-700 for IW for months before people started upping their predictions. Once that happened and the buzz and hype got crazy strong, I went up to 800. Obviously that was a dumb move. Seems like you've done the same thing with this. Gone up from 500+ expectations that could actually happen to an unrealistic 700 that can't because the hype has gotten stronger and many others have now jumped on the 500+ bandwagon. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

If anything it's more like an attempt to reach a compromise and help him go quietly. His image has already been permanently tarnished and there's no way people are ever going to respect him like they used to, either inside or outside of Pixar. But he is still the master creative voice of the Toy Story franchise and I guess they wanted to avoid further public conflict that might've resulted from completely removing him from that role.

He's going to be completly removed from that role as of December;he stays on as an consultant until then..and the consultant bit is probably just to fulfil the contract they have with

him. I have little sympathy for the man, really;I will save that for his victims.

People making insanely high predictions for this.  I’d say 450-480 is a pretty reasonable range with a shot at 500m.  There’s only 5 animated films that have passed 400m domestically (4 if you don’t count The Lion King’s rerelease).  It’s like people are forgetting just how rare it is for a film to hit 700m.

This is especially true when you look at the first film’s box office numbers and video sales stats both of which massively trail Nemo.  Nemo sold 41m copies on video and The Incrdibles sold barely half that, yet Dory only rose 30% from Nemo even with inflation.  Saying I2 will more than double from the first one... well... I’m just not seeing it.  

• Like 2

The big advantage this has over Nemo is that people have been begging for a sequel for 14 years. The first one essentially ends on a cliffhanger and people who grew up with Incredibles 1 are hyped as hell, whereas the general reaction from adults to Dory's announcement seemed to hew closer to "Oh, that's nice." 

Is it that difficult for people to understand that this can reach a wider demographic than Finding Dory? I would have never convinced my 17 year old cousin to go and watch Dory and here we are making plans for this. 

$500m is toast. I don't wanna go lunatic yet but there is no unreasonable prediction for something like this.

• Like 1

I don’t know. Most of the comic fans I deal with haven’t brought it up, and a lot tend to get behind on comic movies that aren’t the big tentpoles.  One guy I know didn’t even bother seeing Doctor Strange and Ragnarok until Infinity War came out.  Also people are acting like a prediction 450-500 is somehow majorly lowballing when only 4 animated films and like 7 superhero films have even crossed 400m, much less 500. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Is it that difficult for people to understand that this can reach a wider demographic than Finding Dory? I would have never convinced my 17 year old cousin to go and watch Dory and here we are making plans for this. 

$500m is toast. I don't wanna go lunatic yet but there is no unreasonable prediction for something like this.

And I think people here are failing to understand that this franchise has nowhere near the kid appeal as Nemo always has. Kids, ya know the target demo for these films. 

The only thing off setting the lack of kid appeal compared to the Nemo franchise is that they have been starved of anything half ways decent for months. And it's summer and they're out of school, kids are gonna get bored and wanna go to the movies. That's why I have gotten on board 500 being possible. If not for that sole reason though, I'd still put this in the 350-400 range. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Gee, and I thought it was to discuss Box Office, rather then be just another fan page....

You want objective analysis, go to Variety. We're all humans with our own passions and dislikes and we should own them.

• Like 1