Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

Back from the double feature. This movie is going to make a ton of money. Lots and lots and lots of money. @Pandamia!, I still don't think your 700 can happen unless the OW goes 180+ huge, but you may be way closer than I ever thought was possible. The GA will eat this up. Far more accessible to everyone than the first film ever was.

The accessibility will work wonders for its appeal, but for me personally it was a bit of a bummer since it lacks a lot of the nuance of the first. The first movie runs circles around this one in terms of depth and maturity, especially seeing it right before hand. Not to say this one is vapid and shallow, but it really is much more about the humor and action this time. But holy crap does it excel in those respects. I'm hard pressed to think of a funnier animated movie ever, or even a movie in general from recent memory.

No joke, my sold out theater was in absolute laughter hysterics for probably half of the running time in total. So much so that I missed a lot of follow up jokes because of it. The animation is also stunning too, though I have to admit it was jarring to see this right after the first. The characters definitely all look noticeably different if you've just watched the first, and Holly Hunter sounds oddly different this time. 

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. The first is definitely superior for me - as are the Toy Story sequels - but this is simply a ton of fun at the movies. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

.. The first movie runs circles around this one in terms of depth and maturity, especially seeing it right before hand...

this is what happens when you drop the word "The" from your title. smh brad bird

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

I'm kinda weary at the predictions right now. Seems like it's getting out of hand and when it does well it will be deemed disappointing. 

I mean the OW predictions very well could be out of hand. We have to keep in mind the proven ceiling here is still just 135m. However, even if this did something as "low" as 100 this weekend, then I think the legs would just be all the more insane. In other words, after seeing it I don't see anything stopping 500 and the all time animation crown at this point. 

• Like 3

It's good but as a big fan of the first (it's my favorite Pixar movie) I was sorta let down. I agree that it lacks the first movie's nuance (and emotional storytelling), and the villain is a huge downgrade from Syndrome. There's still some great action and humor, though, for sure, and the characters are all good, it's mostly the plot I have a problem with. 

It's worth watching if you liked the first one, just keep your expectations in check after 14 years. You could even say you should leave them at the theater door.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean the OW predictions very well could be out of hand. We have to keep in mind the proven ceiling here is still just 135m. However, even if this did something as "low" as 100 this weekend, then I think the legs would just be all the more insane. In other words, after seeing it I don't see anything stopping 500 and the all time animation crown at this point. 

What would be the difference between this and Toy Story 3? 

I haven't seen it, but if it's good, I would hope you would be right, but I don't see where the distinction between TI2 and TS3/FD is. 

Why would TI2 outopen them to such a degree and/or have even better legs? 

My only explanation, if it were to happen, would be that people seem to have wanted a sequel to TI since it was released whereas were probably only happily surprised for TS3 and maybe a little weary about Dory. But then it would be one of the first times where the Internet crowd made such a difference for BO and gross as that is almost non-existent. The Internet overrates and overrepresents. 

• Like 2