Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

Disney is being cautious and expecting at least $ 120M OW, with possible $ 140M OW... since they’re usually lowballing their predictions, i think it’s a good sign to possible record opening 

Box Office Mojo is predicting + 150M OW

• Incredibles 2 (4,410 theaters) - $150+ M
  • Ocean's 8 (4,145 theaters) - $21.2 M
  • Tag (3,382 theaters) - $15.3 M
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (3,182 theaters) - $9.3 M
  • Deadpool 2 (3,212 theaters) - $8.3 M
  • Hereditary (2,994 theaters) - $7.6 M
  • Superfly (2,220 theaters) - $5.5 M
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2,164 theaters) - $4.3 M
  • Adrift (1,929 theaters) - $2.5 M
  • Book Club (1,656 theaters) - $2.3 M

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4407&p=.htm

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

55 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People REALLY REALLY want an animated movie to beat Shrek 2

It's not going to happen. Shrek 2 will be king for decades. The only animated film that even has potential to beat it is the lion king next year and I personally don't see that happening.

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how Pixar always worled best domestic and was never or rarely huge OS.

No pixar film was as big as Ice Age & Minions OS.

And Toy Story was smaller than Casper oversea despite being 80% bigger domestic.

It is a bit funny yes no Pixar in the top 5 despite all the success, to be fair I would imagine Nemo was the biggest animated movie intl when it released right ? or must be close to, 559m in 2003 was huge. Just a bit of timing of when their biggest success occurred and no much china success pre-Coco.

1: Frozen: 875

2: Minions: 823

3: Despicable me 3: 770

4: Ice age continental drift: 715

5: Ice age dawn: 690

6: Zootopia: 682

7: Toy story 3: 652

8: Despicable me 2: 602

9: Coco: 596

10: Nemo: 559

11: Dory: 542

Humor and pop culture reference are more present in those Pixar movie and translate not was well ? Zootopia did it quite well too.

Edited by Barnack

The all time OS animation top 5 proves that most OS territories still view animation the way the DOM market did prior to the renaissance: as being just for kids. That’s why the stuff aimed only at kids like Minions and Ice Age sequels donso well, while more mature stuff like Pixar isn’t as big. With the exception of Japan of course, where animation is valued among older audiences more than anywhere in the world.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The all time OS animation top 5 proves that most OS territories still view animation the way the DOM market did prior to the renaissance: as being just for kids. That’s why the stuff aimed only at kids like Minions and Ice Age sequels donso well, while more mature stuff like Pixar isn’t as big. With the exception of Japan of course, where animation is valued among older audiences more than anywhere in the world.

Animation is huge in Latin America too, Chile and Argentina being the most iconic cases, with 6 and 7 animated movies in the all-time top 10 respectively. 

Edited by salvador-232

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not necessarily true. A big factor of the kiddie oriented ones success is there is much more rewatch value in the films that aren't for adults. Minions for instance kids watch it over and over again. You don't get as much of that with the more serious/adult stuff like Inside Out. That's actually a good comparison - here, Inside Out was a huge hit with adults (all the times I saw it the audience was pretty much exclusively adults) but Minions grossed a lot more. Anecdotal but in the cinema I worked in, in the later weeks of IO, Minions was still keeping up with IO ticket sales, despite Minions being released 5 weeks earlier I think.

Families will take their kids to see the same film several times and they're gonna go with whatever film the kids enjoyed more.

Edited by Ranger Tree

3 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

Not necessarily true. A big factor of the kiddie oriented ones success is there is much more rewatch value in the films that aren't for adults. Minions for instance kids watch it over and over again. You don't get as much of that with the more serious/adult stuff like Inside Out. That's actually a good comparison - here, Inside Out was a huge hit with adults (all the times I saw it the audience was pretty much exclusively adults) but Minions grossed a lot more. Anecdotal but in the cinema I worked in, in the later weeks of IO, Minions was still keeping up with IO ticket sales, despite Minions being released 5 weeks earlier I think.

Families will take their kids to see the same film several times and they're gonna go with whatever film the kids enjoyed more.

But that still doesn’t explain why the biggest animated movies DOM are, for the most part, the ones with more than just kid appeal. Whereas OS it’s kind of the opposite.