Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But that still doesn’t explain why the biggest animated movies DOM are, for the most part, the ones with more than just kid appeal. Whereas OS it’s kind of the opposite.

I'm not disagreeing with you just saying that, just because a kiddie film does better, doesn't mean the country does not appreciate animation.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

But that still doesn’t explain why the biggest animated movies DOM are, for the most part, the ones with more than just kid appeal. Whereas OS it’s kind of the opposite.

Slapstick physical humor is more universal than verbal humor.   It's the main reason that rat is the most popular part of the Ice Age movies and the Minions are the DM break out characters WW.  It's the same reasons most comedies don't travel well except in other English speaking countries.

Zootopia's Sloth gag about bureaucracy was universal which is why it was such a great hook.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's because is easier to translate simple stories to other cultures. You can watch Minions and Scratch from Ice Age without subtitles and still laugh at them. Not everybody can relate to Pixar movies because they tend to be very US-centered. But they are a huge success when they strike a chord with other cultures. Ratatouille was very successful in Europe, Coco broke records in Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, Perú, Colombia... China is also another nice counterexample, the most successful animated movies there are Zootopia and Coco. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Slapstick physical humor is more universal than verbal humor.   It's the main reason that rat is the most popular part of the Ice Age movies and the Minions are the DM break out characters WW.  It's the same reasons most comedies don't travel well except in other English speaking countries.

Zootopia's Sloth gag about bureaucracy was universal which is why it was such a great hook.

That’s what I got out of it.  A lot of the nuances of the more mature Pixar stuff may not translate as well outside of English.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeQ said:

The Incredibles 2 is proving to be another critically acclaimed film for Pixar, and aside from the Toy Story trilogy, its highest rated sequel. As Pixar's 20th film, Pixar now has 14 of 20 films at 90+% on RT, 18 of 20 Certified Fresh, and 19 of 20 Fresh (with the lone Rotten film being Cars 2). That is impressive.

With its appeal and critical acclaim, if the film hits the high end of tracking for its opening weekend ($140M), then I think $500M+ is looking possible for Incredibles 2. Would be the new highest grossing animated film of all-time, for both opening weekend and total domestic gross. Will be fun to follow how it does this weekend and beyond!

Pixar Movie RT Scores and Multipliers

90%+ RT Score Class

Toy Story — 100% (9.0 rating) — 6.58 (using 3-day), 4.91 (using 5-day)

Toy Story 2 — 100% (8.6 rating) — 4.28 (using first wide weekend)

Toy Story 3 — 99% (8.9 rating) — 3.76

Finding Nemo — 99% (8.7 rating) — 4.83

Inside Out — 98% (8.9 rating) — 3.94

Up — 98% (8.7 rating) — 4.30

Coco — 97% (8.3 rating) — 4.13 (using 3-day), 2.88 (using 5-day)

The Incredibles — 97% (8.3 rating) — 3.71

Wall-E — 96% (8.6 rating) — 3.55

Ratatouille — 96% (8.5 rating) — 4.39

Monsters, Inc — 96% (8.0 rating) — 4.09

The Incredibles 2 — 94% (8.0 rating) — TBD

Finding Dory — 94% (7.6 rating) — 3.60

A Bug’s Life — 92% (7.9 rating) — 4.89 (using 3-day wide weekend), 3.56 (using 5-day wide)

The ‘Other’ Pixar Movies

Brave — 78% (7.0 rating) — 3.58

Monsters University — 79% (6.8 rating) — 3.26

The Good Dinosaur — 76% (6.5 rating) — 3.14 (using 3-day), 2.22 (using 5-day)

Cars — 74% (6.9 rating) — 4.06

Cars 3 — 68% (6.0 rating) — 2.85

Cars 2 — 39% (5.5 rating) — 2.89

Peace,

Mike

It's so weird that they dont have a movie in 80s on RT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Several animated movies have beaten Shrek 2 now.

Frozen
Minions
DM3
DM2
Dory
Zootopia
Nemo

Adjusted is a whole different story. Shrek was the most beloved animation movie to come out in the last 20 years, it will take something special to truly beat it, that movie clicked with everyone

6 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not expecting Pixar to hit their glory days so consistently again for the foreseeable future even if they do go back to original filmmaking. Long as they still turn out the occasional classic, it's enough for me. 

Doctor and Unkrich still sell me on their pedigree, and hopefully Bird and Stanton will still stick around enough to continue churning out their own greats (and don't @ me w/Dory). I do think some of their other filmmakers have potential and it would definitely be more reassuring if Andrews or Scanlon get high marks with their next films

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a sequel after Toy Story 4 for a few years. Apart from a true Monster Inc sequel, the only recent Pixar film I could see getting a sequel is Inside Out. 

I think Pixar could use the departure of Lasseter to refresh themselves and hire talent from outside the Brain Trist

• Like 1

Forgot to comment on the short, Bao. Thought it was horrendous. The tone is all over the place, and I'm sorry but the concept was just too silly to really make work. More so than Lava, which is saying something. Also felt like it went on for ages. My new least favorite from them, usurping that title from Lava. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Haven't checked but I'm assuming Zootopia bombed in Germany.

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

Adjusted is a whole different story. Shrek was the most beloved animation movie to come out in the last 20 years, it will take something special to truly beat it, that movie clicked with everyone

Like... a very special family? :sarah:

The member reactions here are already confirming my suspicion this is going to play much better with families and kids than it is the childless adult fanbase that has been wanting it all these years. The good news is, those people will all see it once anyways, so I think pleasing the family audience more will only be a good thing for the box office.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

The member reactions here are already confirming my suspicion this is going to play much better with families and kids than it is the childless adult fanbase that has been wanting it all these years. The good news is, those people will all see it once anyways, so I think pleasing the family audience more will only be a good thing for the box office.

My audience was mostly college age/young adults and they all seemed to love it. Lots of applause when certain characters showed up, laughs, etc. I think most people will love it unless they're going into it with the intention of comparing it to the original.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

My audience was mostly college age/young adults and they all seemed to love it. Lots of applause when certain characters showed up, laughs, etc. I think most people will love it unless they're going into it with the intention of comparing it to the original.

Yeah I’m not saying only kids and families will like it. Just that I think it’s more tailored for that audience this time than the first, which I’ve always believed struggled a bit with family WOM because of its mature tone. It did open as high as Nemo but made like 80m less total.