Boxx93

Venezuela Box Office Thread

Depends on what kind of theatres you go to but yes, generally speaking It is really expensive... In fact every single thing in this country is expensive... even breakfast and a cup of coffee...*trying not to cry*

Anyway, am Glad to see Big Hero 6 doing well here but I am not surprised since venezuelan audiences are incredibly loyal to everything Disney-related (Marvel included)  :)

But if you look at the article further up in this page, you will see that the Dollar worth of the Bolivar is purely theoretical, and it isn't what you get in the real world.

Thanks! Now I understand! I also read on cnn.com that Caracas is one of the ten most expensive cities in the world

Thanks! Now I understand! I also read on cnn.com that Caracas is one of the ten most expensive cities in the world

And one of the most dangerous as well.

http://www.uncoverdiscover.com/facts/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world/caracas-venezuela/

Venezuela is very dangerous as a country :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/12/violent-crime-makes-venezuela-dangerous

24,000 murders in Venezuela in 2013, with a population reaching 29 million inhabitants.

For a comparison : the United States got 11,000 murders in 2013 with a population reaching 316 million inhabitants.

With the same homicide rate as Venezuela the United States would have got 261,000 murders instead of 11,000.

Edited by Meliodas

And one of the most dangerous as well.

http://www.uncoverdiscover.com/facts/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world/caracas-venezuela/

Venezuela is very dangerous as a country :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/12/violent-crime-makes-venezuela-dangerous

24,000 murders in Venezuela in 2013, with a population reaching 29 million inhabitants.

For a comparison : the United States got 11,000 murders in 2013 with a population reaching 316 million inhabitants.

With the same homicide rate as Venezuela the United States would have got 261,000 murders instead of 11,000.

And the US has a pretty high homicide rate itself (if the US had a homicide rate like Japan, it would have less than 1000 murders), Venezuela's homicide rate is crazy.

And the US has a pretty high homicide rate itself (if the US had a homicide rate like Japan, it would have less than 1000 murders), Venezuela's homicide rate is crazy.

Wow Japan. Another level!

Mexico on the other hand...

Well, Japan is completely apart from the rest of the world, it's very cultural. In this country even people in prison are respectful and well-organized.

The US and Europe will never be able to compete with it, it's also cultural.

Well, Japan is completely apart from the rest of the world, it's very cultural. In this country even people in prison are respectful and well-organized.

The US and Europe will never be able to compete with it, it's also cultural.

Japan is particularly low, but all of western Europe has a much lower homicide rate than the US (between a fifth and a third). For a developed country, the US rate is very high, Venezuela's is simply atrocious on any scale (unless you compare it to Honduras).

Japan is particularly low, but all of western Europe has a much lower homicide rate than the US (between a fifth and a third). For a developed country, the US rate is very high, Venezuela's is simply atrocious on any scale (unless you compare it to Honduras).

Well, no.

Since 1990 the US crime rate dropped 50%, and apparently 2014 was even better. There is a strong improvement in the US.

Well, no.

Since 1990 the US crime rate dropped 50%, and apparently 2014 was even better. There is a strong improvement in the US.

How does that refute what I wrote? I wrote that it is higher than other wealthy countries, you wrote that it is lower than in the same country 20+ years ago. What you wrote being true doesn't mean that what I wrote isn't true.

Homicide rate (per 100,000):

US: 4.7

Canada: 1.6

Australia: 1.1

UK: 1

France: 1

Germany: 0.8

Spain 0.8

Sweden: 0.7

Switzerland: 0.6

Japan: 0.3

Numbers are a year or two old, but it wouldn't have changed that much in a short time.

As you can see, other developed countries are closer to Japan than to the US.

• Like 1

How does that refute what I wrote? I wrote that it is higher than other wealthy countries, you wrote that it is lower than in the same country 20+ years ago. What you wrote being true doesn't mean that what I wrote isn't true.

Homicide rate (per 100,000):

Canada: 1.6

Australia: 1.1

UK: 1

France: 1

Germany: 0.8

Spain 0.8

Sweden: 0.7

Switzerland: 0.6

Japan: 0.3

Numbers are a year or two old, but it wouldn't have changed that much in a short time.

As you can see, other developed countries are closer to Japan than to the US.

I just added that to nuance your statement, the US could have a higher crime rate than the rest of the developed world (and still it's increasing in France, Paris is now considered as more dangerous than New York) but it's not "very high" as you say, and it's very important ot say there is a sharp drop while there is an increase of stagnation elsewhere, meaning the US could be close to their crime level in 15 or 20 years.

I just added that to nuance your statement

Your post started with "well, no.", that isn't nuance.

the US could have a higher crime rate than the rest of the developed world (and still it's increasing in France, Paris is now considered as more dangerous than New York) but it's not "very high" as you say, and it's very important ot say there is a sharp drop while there is an increase of stagnation elsewhere, meaning the US could be close to their crime level in 15 or 20 years.

1) I'm talking about the present, in the future we what see what happens, but it is not yet relevant.

2) There is no point in taking a small part of the country, if the discussion is about the entire country. The same way it would be pointless for me to say that the homicide rate is is rising in North Dakota. It's just cherry picking statistics that suit you.

But if we are already on the subject:

New York homicide rate: 5.1

Paris homicide rate: 1.8

So you are wrong about this anyway.

3) I absolutely consider four times as much as comparable countries to be very high, I think that is the only reasonable way of describing such a thing. If this wan't something that made the US look bad, then I'm sure you would agree.

4) Lower homicide rates is the norm in the developed world, including France, not just in the US.

5)

Homicide rate in 2000:

France 1.8

US: 5.5

2012:

France 1

percent drop from 2000 to 2012:

France: -44%

US: -15%

So France doesn't just have a lower homicide rate, but it has been decreasing at a faster rate as well. This certainly doesn't suggest that the US will catch up with France.

source: http://www.unodc.org/gsh/en/data.html

Edited by Tower

Your post started with "well, no.", that isn't nuance.

1) I'm talking about the present, in the future we what see what happens, but it is not yet relevant.

2) There is no point in taking a small part of the country, if the discussion is about the entire country. The same way it would be pointless for me to say that the homicide rate is is rising in North Dakota. It's just cherry picking statistics that suit you.

But if we are already on the subject:

New York homicide rate: 5.1

Paris homicide rate: 1.8

So you are wrong about this anyway.

3) I absolutely consider four times as much as comparable countries to be very high, I think that is the only reasonable way of describing such a thing. If this wan't something that made the US look bad, then I'm sure you would agree.

4) Lower homicide rates is the norm in the developed world, including France, not just in the US.

5)

Homicide rate in 2000:

France 1.8

US: 5.5

2012:

France 1

percent drop from 2000 to 2012:

France: -44%

US: -15%

So France doesn't just have a lower homicide rate, but it has been decreasing at a faster rate as well. This certainly doesn't suggest that the US will catch up with France.

source: http://www.unodc.org/gsh/en/data.html

Well, talk about homicide rates as much as you want.

Crime doesn't decrease in France,a sharp increase happened these last few years and if you say it's decreasing in France people will laugh at you very hard because nobody feels that way. France is in no way a crime haven let's be clear, it's quite a peaceful outside ghettos, but still the trend is clear toward a worsening.

And about the US some states are even safer than in France: it's 0.8 in Maryland for example so it's clearly possible for the US to catch up with Europe (not with Japan, it's impossible).

Edited by Meliodas

Well, talk about homicide rates as much as you want.

Crime doesn't decrease in France,a sharp increase happened these last few years and if you say it's decreasing in France people will laugh at you very hard because nobody feels that way. France is in no way a crime haven let's be clear, it's quite a peaceful outside ghettos, but still the trend is clear toward a worsening.

And about the US some states are even safer than in France: it's 0.8 in Maryland for example so it's clearly possible for the US to catch up with Europe (not with Japan, it's impossible).

People often think things that are wrong completely wrong, so this doesn't really prove anything

For more about this phenomenon: http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/perils-of-perception-global

In fact, most Americans think crime is getting worse as well, but that doesn't mean much either. 

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150464/americans-believe-crime-worsening.aspx

It's 6.4 in Maryland, more than the US as a whole. The lowest state in the US is Iowa with 1.4, which is still higher than France. But again, there is no point in comparing countries to small parts of a country, I'm sure some parts of France have lower crime rates as well.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/4tabledatadecoverviewpdf/table_4_crime_in_the_united_states_by_region_geographic_division_and_state_2012-2013.xls

People often think things that are wrong completely wrong, so this doesn't really prove anything

For more about this phenomenon: http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/perils-of-perception-global

In fact, most Americans think crime is getting worse as well, but that doesn't mean much either. 

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150464/americans-believe-crime-worsening.aspx

It's 6.4 in Maryland, more than the US as a whole. The lowest state in the US is Iowa with 1.4, which is still higher than France. But again, there is no point in comparing countries to small parts of a country, I'm sure some parts of France have lower crime rates as well.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/4tabledatadecoverviewpdf/table_4_crime_in_the_united_states_by_region_geographic_division_and_state_2012-2013.xls

Sorry but this time it's pretty relevant, the US is such a big country..it's perfectly comparable.

Edited by Meliodas

Sorry but this time it's pretty relevant, the US is such a big country..it's perfectly comparable.

This whole discussion started when I said that the US has a high homicide rate, saying that some part in the US has a lower rate isn't relevant to that, and is true for any country. I'm sure Venezuela also has some part where crime is lower, but that doesn't change the fact that Venezuela has an incredibly high homicide rate. It just means that other parts of the country have an even higher homicide rate than that of the country as a whole.

This whole discussion started when I said that the US has a high homicide rate, saying that some part in the US has a lower rate isn't relevant to that, and is true for any country. I'm sure Venezuela also has some part where crime is lower, but that doesn't change the fact that Venezuela has an incredibly high homicide rate. It just means that other parts of the country have an even higher homicide rate than that of the country as a whole.

Well, it's entirely your fault, you made this thread drifting, I just gave a relevant information and you couldn't help attacking me.

Well, it's entirely your fault, you made this thread drifting, I just gave a relevant information and you couldn't help attacking me.

You were the first one to say anything about crime. I said something related to that, you disagreed and I defended my position. I wouldn't call that attacking, but I do think you were wrong in our argument.