Tower

Lucy OS thread - 332.2M

Exhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxoffice  2m

Luc Besson's LUCY cannot be stopped overseas--the flick scored $25M this weekend, $231M overall.

So, another $39m overseas this week. The slow OS roll out is making for excellent weekly holds, $39m this week, $40.2m last week and $48.6m the week before that.

Lucy has cruised past $350m WW ($231M OS and about $123.5m Domestic) and will top 400m WW with ease, even $450m is looking more and more likely.

I'd say Lucy and GOTG are neck and neck for most surprising positive boxoffice run of the summer.

• Like 2

I think it could make $50M in China, 450M WW is in play.

Argentina and Italy are pretty fair sized markets too (and there is an Italy connection in the movie ;) ).

What I don't get is there is no release for South Korea that I can find. One of the main stars is Korean and a significant portion of the dialogue in the movie is Korean. :huh:

Edited by Incarnadine

Argentina and Italy are pretty fair sized markets too (and there is an Italy connection in the movie ;) ).What I don't get is there is no release for South Korea that I can find. One of the main stars is Korean and a significant portion of the dialogue in the movie is Korean. :huh:

It was released in South Korea last week on Wednesday, and went on to make $7 million+ by Sunday. I'm sure as of this weekend, the total has more than doubled. Edited by sfran43

Argentina and Italy are pretty fair sized markets too (and there is an Italy connection in the movie ;) ). What I don't get is there is no release for South Korea that I can find. One of the main stars is Korean and a significant portion of the dialogue in the movie is Korean. :huh:

It should do $3m+ in Argentina and $10m+ in Italy
  • Like 2

350 OS is looking good...huuuge. 40m budget, R-Rated, 2D film...

an R-Rating really is of little concern for OS numbers. Here in Austria the age recommendation for "Lucy "is 14+ which means a 14year old can buy his own ticket; when with parents that recommendation is lowered by 3 years, so 11year olds can watch Lucy. Not thatI think they'd much enjoy it, but really, an R-rating is strictly a US thing.

• Like 2

I'm actually surprised by the R rating for Lucy, there is no nudity at all, the violence is far less than most action movies (some gun battles, but no gory scenes, people get shot and go down, no exploding heads or blood gushing from wounds).

I guess it must be from the nature scenes about "reproduction". :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised by the R rating for Lucy, there is no nudity at all, the violence is far less than most action movies (some gun battles, but no gory scenes, people get shot and go down, no exploding heads or blood gushing from wounds).

I guess it must be from the nature scenes about "reproduction". :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree, though I do remember some scene with blood. I found quite similar to The Wolverine which got a PG-13 rating, similar sexual references, probably had more violence but it just didn't show blood. So it could've been the reproduction scenes that got the R rating and they left some blood in the film. 

Yeah I agree, though I do remember some scene with blood. I found quite similar to The Wolverine which got a PG-13 rating, similar sexual references, probably had more violence but it just didn't show blood. So it could've been the reproduction scenes that got the R rating and they left some blood in the film. 

I think it's just the overly prudish U.S. rating system, here in Canada it's 14+, which seems to be in line with pretty much every other country, except the U.S.

• Like 1