Ash Skywalker

The Goldfinch (September 13, 2019)

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, Krissykins said:

There’s nothing worse than an Oscar bait film with bad reviews. 

The films are just lost in a weird limbo. Usually all round failures, critically and commercially. 

Yeah, every year we have a couple of Award Bait films that turn out to be busted flushes.

When a film like the Goldfinch gets panned by the critics, it's over baby. For some films the reviews don't matter, but for a film like "Goldfinch" you get a bad critical reception it's almost certain you flop at the box office also.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:48 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Read the first chapter of the book (three dozen or so pages) online out of curiosity the other day. Liked it ok (though it has a frustrating everything-and-the-kitchen-sink way of trying to immerse you into its world) but I have no idea how you could possibly adapt that into something that's meaningful and satisfying as a chunk of movie. It's got nice cinematic atmosphere but also it's like 80% memory and internal/headspace stuff, hardly translatable visually unless you're doing a miniseries and/or you're prepared to make it totally unconventional and uncommercial. AA Dowd mentioned on Twitter that instead they just use lots of heavy-handed voiceover which is of course the lamest shit. It's almost as if this was designed to be a work of literature and not any other medium. 

Some novels simply are not good film material because the exact way the story is told is just as important as the story and charecters.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-bust-goldfinch-lose-40m-50m-warner-bros-amazon-1239816

'The Goldfinch' Bomb May Lose Up to $50M for Warner Bros., Amazon Studios

Profits from It: Chapter Two — earning nearly $324 million globally in its first 10 days — will no doubt help make up for the $25 million to $30 million that Warners could lose because of The Goldfinch. Amazon Studios will also take a hit after co-financing 40 percent of the adult drama, which cost a net $44 million before marketing. (Warners is on the hook for all marketing and distribution costs, so its losses could ultimately be more.)

Amazon ponied up $16 million to $18 million in exchange for exclusive worldwide SVOD rights, which allows it to provide its Prime customers with exclusive content. The company could lose nearly its entire investment, putting Goldfinch's total losses for Warners and Amazon combined in the $40 million-$50 million range, according to several box office analysts consulted by The Hollywood Reporter.

Warners and Amazon both declined to comment. 

Warners knew The Goldfinch, directed by John Crowley, was in trouble at least six months ago and subsequently decided to trim back dramatically on its marketing spend. "This is the kind of story that is probably more appropriate for a series on streaming," says one studio executive. Two other sources say Warners approached Amazon Studios about a taking on a bigger role, but Amazon declined.

On the Warners lot, there's divided opinion as to whether it was the right decision for the marketing and publicity team to premiere the pic at the recent Toronto International Film Festival, where critics gather each year in search of fall awards contenders. The film's Rotten Tomatoes score quickly plummeted to 24 percent. While the movie would have still been reviewed no matter where it premiered, a fall film festival can result in heightened expectations.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Is this movie like The Book of Henry or Life Itself, i.e. emotionally manipulative melodrama? When I saw the trailer for this, it gave me those vibes.

I haven't seen the film myself but it definitely seems that way. From what I've heard the book isn't the best type to adapt for the screen.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, TalismanRing said:

Can't blame Warners for cutting the marketing budget on this after they saw it was a mess. No reason to throw good money away after bad. Part of being a good businessman is realizing when something is just not going to work, cut you losses, and don't spend good money to try to save something that is beyond saving.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Can't blame Warners for cutting the marketing budget on this after they saw it was a mess. No reason to throw good money away after bad. Part of being a good businessman is realizing when something is just not going to work, cut you losses, and don't spend good money to try to save something that is beyond saving.

Yep. It really is okay to just wash your hands of something and be done with it. 

It reminds me of some people I know who drive well out of their way to save a few cents on gas. They end up missing the forest for the trees and putting out more money! Sometimes you just bite the bullet and you actually come out better than you would from the alternative.

Just forget about this one and move on, WB. You've got a terrific Fall ahead!

40 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yep. It really is okay to just wash your hands of something and be done with it. 

It reminds me of some people I know who drive well out of their way to save a few cents on gas. They end up missing the forest for the trees and putting out more money! Sometimes you just bite the bullet and you actually come out better than you would from the alternative.

Just forget about this one and move on, WB. You've got a terrific Fall ahead!

Which is what a lot of people here don't get; at times the smartest thing a studio can do is just admit they have a turkey that no one will want to see;that no amount of marketing will save it; so just cut your lossed and don't add to the red ink.

You have to wonder if Disney has not already made this choice with New Mutants.

What happened with "The Goldfinch" makes me a bit less anxious for someone to film "The Light We Cannot See" IMHO the best novel I have read for the past decade, but one that would take everybody bringing their "A" game to pull off on the screen. I think it can be done...it's a more filmable novel then "The Goldfinch" but it would take a lot of care.

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What happened with "The Goldfinch" makes me a bit less anxious for someone to film "The Light We Cannot See" IMHO the best novel I have read for the past decade, but one that would take everybody bringing their "A" game to pull off on the screen. I think it can be done...it's a more filmable novel then "The Goldfinch" but it would take a lot of care.

Oh right another Pultizer Winner. All the Light We Cannot See.

I don't know if that would be a good movie. Have to read it.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

I confess I haven't heard of that book. I'll check it out.