CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I don't know.  @Porthos and I have been chatting about it.  I think it could get away with 200M DOM.  There's just nothing else in the market for this demographic until Frozen; combine with that a boring summer for Girl Movies, and it could happen.

It also looks delightful.  I'm unironicly stanning.  

As you said, we've been talking about this off and on, but the one thing that worries me is that "Girl Movies" aren't automatically more successful just because there's been a dearth of films that could appeal to them.

Kinda thinking Ocean's 8 here, for example.  Given the landscape it should have did a bit more than it did, IMO.  Not that it did badly (especially with how that type of movie is doing at the box office lately).  Just that I expected a bit more out of it given the circumstances of when it was released.

I think a better way of putting it is if a movie that appeals to women captures a zeitgeist at the time, it can do really well, especially if there hasn't been much to appeal to them lately.

You and @TalismanRing (among others active on this thread right now) obviously have more insight than I into this, of course. But that's sorta been my observations on this over the last couple of years. 

The too long; didn't read version might be: It can be a small/decent boost in isolation, but a really good boost if it happens to click just right. 

===

The part I really have no clue on is if it will click "just right".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Maleficent will be above Us/H&S. That’s just the (Mickey’s) Law.

Mickey's Law doesn't work like that. It does not mean greater benefits for Disney productions, but bad luck for non-Disney productions. If Mickey's Law helped Disney, then Nutcracker would have crossed 100M, and my club would have been a success. Please do not spread false truths about the Law.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Mickey's Law doesn't work like that. It does not mean greater benefits for Disney productions, but bad luck for non-Disney productions. If Mickey's Law helped Disney, then Nutcracker would have crossed 100M, and my club would have been a success. Please do not spread false truths about the Law.

I think the Law may have grown in power since 2018. Let’s wait and see :stirthepot:

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, TalismanRing said:

Artemis Fowl is a Disney production, they also co publish the books

Yeah, it's  Disney Production, not a Fox leftover, but I get the feeling that Disney does not have a lot of faith in it.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, Hunch said:

This has flop written all over it. The public is not here for these fairy tale sequels.

And it's not like the original Maleficent film is well beloved classic;it did well at the box office, but so did the 2010 ALice In Wonderland, and look at what happened with Alice 2...

Thing is people think Disney is infallible and can do no wrong' Disney has it's share of flops each year,but it has such huge successes that people don't remember the flops. in 2018 Disney had 3:"Wrinkle In TIme" "Solo" and "The Nutcracker" but the huge hits sort of put them in the background.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Thing is people think Disney is infallible and can do no wrong.

[citation needed]

===

Especially since it seems the vast majority of this board outside of a handful of people think this is gonna flop.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Trialers and footage do nothing for me. Probably give this one a pass. 

See no reason to spend 12 bucks and 2 hours of my time on a film that just does not look to be that good.

The CGI looks pretty bad. If it went into production just a little later it would have likely been a Disney+ exclusive.