Jump to content
CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I hope this flop like Alice 2, the real soulless cash grab

I like your comments better when they are copy/past from other forums!!

  • Not Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xftg123 said:

Don't forget that Tim Burton did his whimsical take on it, and it ended up being successful. Not only that, it's the 1st live action remake from Disney that made a billion and also Tim Burton's highest grossing movie. Now, unfortunately, Burton is box office poison.

I hated Alice, and it was the film where I finally wrote off Tim Burton as a director; his "Dark Whimsy" has officially become stale.

And that it was sold like it was a version of the Original Lewid Carroll story, when it was a messed up sequel was a turn off for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So from the reviews, when Jolie are Pffeifer are on the screen catfighting it's fun, but otherwise it's a not very good, by the numbers Disney fairy tale movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this YT video regarding Maleficent 2's budget.

 

It's the same as the previous film, 180M. Breakeven number is 300M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, captainwondyful said:

 

I am seeing this on Thursday at 9:45pm. I will report back. 

@captainwondyful report pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

@captainwondyful report pls

I was a LIIIIIIIITTLE busy last night with something-something so ended up having to cancel.  Plan on going today.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it last night, found it very enjoyable. Some excellent world building and costumes. It's nice to see one of these live action remakes take big swings, even if it's not perfect. A nice change of pace from the truly uninspired Lion King remake. Some really dark moments and something in the ending I didn't expect that might appease some people disappointed with the ending of the first film.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

Saw it last night, found it very enjoyable. Some excellent world building and costumes. It's nice to see one of these live action remakes take big swings, even if it's not perfect. A nice change of pace from the truly uninspired Lion King remake. Some really dark moments and something in the ending I didn't expect that might appease some people disappointed with the ending of the first film.

Are the visual effects better than they looked in the trailer? The trailers made the movie look kinda fun, but the effects were jarring. It looks like something meant for Disney+ to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Are the visual effects better than they looked in the trailer? The trailers made the movie look kinda fun, but the effects were jarring. It looks like something meant for Disney+ to be honest.

I had no issues with the effects. I thought they were actually an improvement on the first film’s. Even more impressive given that they lost 7 months of post production with the release date change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the two nods to the original sleeping beauty at the end. First reaction, pretty good. Ange is just... ugh. Such a force on screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, Spaghetti said:

@captainwondyful report pls

Finally Got There.  So:

 

1. Michelle Pfeiffer is DELICIOUS and worth the ticket alone. She chews EVERYTHING while still being a GODDESS.

 

2. Angelina Jolie gets A LITTLE overshadowed by Pfeiffer (who's given a bit more to do), but that really doesn't matter cause A. ANGELINA B. OMG SHE'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

 

3/C Maleficent's WARDROBE was serving.  I just kept thinking, And that's gonna show up on Insta for Halloween LOOKS, and that's going to show up at every Drag Club in the country, and OMG they even gave us a SDCC-It's-95-degrees-with-no-shade-Ready To Wear.  #blessed

 

Overall,

 

It's fun.  I totally get why some would not like it, but it's a good sequel to the first one.  Tons of fantasy costume and scenery porn.  There's a nice bit of world building in the middle (even if it wanders juuust a bit).  Philip is smart enough to not be useless, but useless enough to not get in the way of the ladies' stories.  Aurora's well rounded and lovely, a really great modern take on her character.  It gets suuuper dark in the third act, which made me go, wow, damn, omg; yet it ends with a really good and positive message.  

 

There are worse ways to pass two hours.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Finally Got There.  So:

 

1. Michelle Pfeiffer is DELICIOUS and worth the ticket alone. She chews EVERYTHING while still being a GODDESS.

 

2. Angelina Jolie gets A LITTLE overshadowed by Pfeiffer (who's given a bit more to do), but that really doesn't matter cause A. ANGELINA B. OMG SHE'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

 

3/C Maleficent's WARDROBE was serving.  I just kept thinking, And that's gonna show up on Insta for Halloween LOOKS, and that's going to show up at every Drag Club in the country, and OMG they even gave us a SDCC-It's-95-degrees-with-no-shade-Ready To Wear.  #blessed

 

Overall,

 

It's fun.  I totally get why some would not like it, but it's a good sequel to the first one.  Tons of fantasy costume and scenery porn.  There's a nice bit of world building in the middle (even if it wanders juuust a bit).  Philip is smart enough to not be useless, but useless enough to not get in the way of the ladies' stories.  Aurora's well rounded and lovely, a really great modern take on her character.  It gets suuuper dark in the third act, which made me go, wow, damn, omg; yet it ends with a really good and positive message.  

 

There are worse ways to pass two hours.

Thanks for the review @captainwondyful! I don't have much interest in this but at the same time I DO have interest in Jolie and Pfeiffer scene chewing so I guess it's a GO on my end!

 

Who am I kidding? I was seeing this anyway after the girlfriend begrudgingly accompanied me to Joker....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaaaaand, tickets bought for Sunday. Then Zombieland on Tuesday. Like I said, I am very much looking forward to the scene chewing of the lead actresses.

 

So what say you guys? Will this repeat on top this weekend or will it lose out to Joker? I have it retaining the crown by a HAIR ($16.6M to J's $16.5M).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JB33 said:

Aaaaaaand, tickets bought for Sunday. Then Zombieland on Tuesday. Like I said, I am very much looking forward to the scene chewing of the lead actresses.

 

So what say you guys? Will this repeat on top this weekend or will it lose out to Joker? I have it retaining the crown by a HAIR ($16.6M to J's $16.5M).

Logic is telling me that it will retain the top spot, as it will have bigger weekend boosts than Joker. The audience for this is likely to wait until the weekend because of school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 3:00 AM, Xftg123 said:

I found this YT video regarding Maleficent 2's budget.

 

It's the same as the previous film, 180M. Breakeven number is 300M.

Breakeven number 300 M??

 

Movies has to do at least 2,5 X their budget worldwide to break even

More like 450-500 M$ to break even

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sgrave said:

Breakeven number 300 M??

 

Movies has to do at least 2,5 X their budget worldwide to break even

More like 450-500 M$ to break even

$ 400M to break even, according to Deadline

 

It Will make $ 480-510M, so it should be profitable afterall 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

$ 400M to break even, according to Deadline

 

It Will make $ 480-510M, so it should be profitable afterall 

Maleficent 3 here we come 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

Maleficent 3 here we come 😎

Please God, no

 

haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Please God, no

 

haha

You cannot stop what is inevitable. Just sit back and relax as Angelina, Ed Skrein, and Elle Fanning take on a new magical bad guy played by...Alan Cumming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

You cannot stop what is inevitable. Just sit back and relax as Angelina, Ed Skrein, and Elle Fanning take on a new magical bad guy played by...Alan Cumming?

Under Alice 2 confirmed...I dare Disney to greenlight another of these pointless films...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.