CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Disney wants to ensure $4 billion domestic/$10 billion WW for 2019 and wanted something to push it over the edge.

That and streaming. Not sure why else they'd do this.

Or they aim for biggest October opener as well? 🤣 

Perhaps there is a little deal going on. Maleficent 2 began filming last April. Jumanji3 began filming last month. Maybe since Maleficent 2 is being moved to October 2019, Jumanji3 has a MUCH clearer path if it were to be released in May 2020. Move Mal3 to a dead spot, giving Disney more revenue in 2019 and, in exchange, Sony will move Jumanjji 3 to May out of the December spot, thus giving SW9 a clean path.

15 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Perhaps there is a little deal going on. Maleficent 2 began filming last April. Jumanji3 began filming last month. Maybe since Maleficent 2 is being moved to October 2019, Jumanji3 has a MUCH clearer path if it were to be released in May 2020. Move Mal3 to a dead spot, giving Disney more revenue in 2019 and, in exchange, Sony will move Jumanjji 3 to May out of the December spot, thus giving SW9 a clean path.

Not really, although it’ll decrease regardless, Jumanji 3 would be sandwiched between Fast 9 and WW1984 and then it would from a potential near $350M-$380M grosser thanks to a barren November-December to a near $250M grosser

Besides SW9 isn’t a threat as it survived just fine with it vs Jedi in 2017 and SW9 which I think is increasing, has to deal with the brand dilution of Star Wars and Jedi. I doubt Sony would flinch for Disney.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

21 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

So what's the reason of the move? Is Disney trying to keep the tradition of having one bomb a year?

That's suggesting Artemis Fowl will not bomb. Though, I sure hope Artemis Fowl doesn't bomb.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

Disney probably thought “wait why the fuck did we make Maleficent 2?” and gave it a relatively low profile release date instead of the more high profile May release date.  that way people forget about this being a bomb after the triple punch of Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, and Sonic a few weeks after

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Disney probably thought “wait why the fuck did we make Maleficent 2?” and gave it a relatively low profile release date instead of the more high profile May release date.  that way people forget about this being a bomb after the triple punch of Terminator, Charlie’s Angels, and Sonic a few weeks after

From Gemini Man up until Sonic there's so many wannabe blockbusters that will no doubt bomb, it's all a matter of how many

1 hour ago, TMP said:

From Gemini Man up until Sonic there's so many wannabe blockbusters that will no doubt bomb, it's all a matter of how many

I doubt Sonic is going to bomb. OS will make up for it no matter what. And even DOM, it might do better than expected, regardless of quality.

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I've always been pessimistic about this movie's box office because usually when you release a sequal 6 years after the original, unless you movie was super beloved and remembered, then the sequel is screwed.

Wasn't the delay due to Angelina's usually glacial pace to choose and/or commit to projects? 

By the way, I disagree that this will bomb. The first one is only hated by film snobs and internet loudmouths. It had a decent multiplier and lots of fans among the GA. I actually think that Angelina's mystique and her increasingly long absences from the screen will add to the OW, which I feel could beat Venom's as the biggest October OW. I don't know about legs, but the OW will be massive...

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

19 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Wasn't the delay due to Angelina's usually glacial pace to choose and/or commit to projects? 

By the way, I disagree that this will bomb. The first one is only hated by film snobs and internet loudmouths. It had a decent multiplier and lots of fans among the GA. I actually think that Angelina's mystique and her increasingly long absences from the screen will add to the OW, which I feel could beat Venom's as the biggest October OW. I don't know about legs, but the OW will be massive...

The film has no chance of an 80mil opening weekend. A 7 year gap for forgettable Disney fluff is too long as you saw with Alice in Wonderland 2. People liked Alice at the time as well and that didn't matter. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Name me a year where a lot of films intended to be blockbusters bomb out or barely make their money back.

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The film has no chance of an 80mil opening weekend. A 7 year gap for forgettable Disney fluff is too long as you saw with Alice in Wonderland 2. People liked Alice at the time as well and that didn't matter. 

See, but you are also assessing it as forgettable because you don't care for the film, not because you have an insight into audiences at large and know for a fact that absolutely zero people are hoping for a sequel or would see one. We'll see what happens, but I bet that it will not become the flop that this website has already declared it to be.

• Like 1