Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick.

80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much.

I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades.  

If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then?

Food for thought.

My review to come later.

PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate. 

Maybe they have thought about it the movie a lot, but don't feel like spending an hour trying to figure out the perfect fucking score to this movie?

• Like 7

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick. 80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much. I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades. If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then? Food for thought. My review to come later. PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate.

Well it's easily better that. Star Wars.

Maybe they have thought about it the movie a lot, but don't feel like spending an hour trying to figure out the perfect fucking score to this movie?

I know haha Im just an over thinker. The movie ended and I had an 2 hour discussion with my friends about the movie. Then I go home and read lll the facts and trivia on IMDB. I go to sleep thinking about it. I wake up and think about it in the shower. Then I go to work and my boss is a director and I talk for 30 minutes about it with him. 

I guess I'm just to extreme haha

• Like 4

I know haha Im just an over thinker. The movie ended and I had an 2 hour discussion with my friends about the movie. Then I go home and read lll the facts and trivia on IMDB. I go to sleep thinking about it. I wake up and think about it in the shower. Then I go to work and my boss is a director and I talk for 30 minutes about it with him. I guess I'm just to extreme haha

Jesus dude.
  • Like 5

Then you're just being dumb.

Im not a big fan of Star Wars either, so does that mean I get to get insulted too? Its an opinion chill. Not everyone likes Star Wars, dont know why some people cant grasp that. I just stuck up for Ethan tho... Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

Wow. Most overrated film in recent memory. No idea how or why people are going nuts about it. Yes, I had raised expectations, but still, a random scattershot of thoughts below:

Opening sequence, derivative, cheesy and generic.

Comic timing was off on majority of comic moments. It became quite painful to watch. The punchlines were there but took an age.

Songs, for the most part, misplaced.

Random moments of "Hey, this is why I am a flawed hero, sympathize/empathize with me now please," no better than any blockbuster.

Most blatant moments of "explain what is happening" I've seen in a long time. Showing not telling please. Worst offender was Gamora quipping, "HEY you so smart! No gravity outside but gravity inside ;))))))))" No.

Plethora of ridiculous deux es machina moments of immortality from Star Lord, Gamora, Groot, Drax, the main villain and random citizens who never get hit. Yup. Too many to point out.

It was an interesting galaxy, of what we saw, but doesn't even come close to Blade Runner in 1982 even with all its new flashy CGI. This is a movie that tries to skate by on that with token moments of "character" thrown in. Also cheesefest with the quite bad makeup and mountains of cuts to characters we don't care about.

Seriously don't know why the jizz is out. Oh wait, I do, it's a Marvel movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3wVPBLb2oY

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3wVPBLb2oY

That line was also delivered badly.

Summary for this board, critics and the Internet for every Marvel movie should be: Jizz, jizz everywhere.

I don't think there's any point at all in listening to them anymore because the jizz lavished on Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and now this has been completely and overwhelmingly undeserved. The only one I liked, Thor 2, was the most lukewarm.

People defending the "heart" of the movie are defending the script and the script is of the level, probably even worse than TASM2 (haven't seen TF4/Maleficent to compare) but that movie is destroyed but this is the second coming of Christ. Yeah, no.

• Community Manager

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick.

80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much.

I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades.  

If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then?

Food for thought.

My review to come later.

PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate. 

I don't know if you're talking to me but generally, plot only factors like 20% into my grade. Even so, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy plot was exactly what it needed to be to introduce us to the characters: in fact, I love how we meet each character. The villain (Ronan) might not have been memorable but I didn't think he was that weak: but as I said, I found the real villain of the movie to be the characters having to sacrifice their self-interest for the good of the galaxy.

I'd say the pacing was good and the original score might not have been as good as Star Wars but that's okay because what is? The music was fine and plus what made the movie's music good was the use of real-life classical music that helped set the movie apart from most space operas.

The cinematography in Guardians of the Galaxy is flawless (in my opinion, Marvel has become the best at using digital cameras), the special effects are pretty well done, the editing was good, and in general I thought the objective production that is Guardians of the Galaxy was extremely well-done. It helps that the dialogue was good and that just about every joke landed. The characters were well-developed as well.

Empire Strikes Back is a great movie as well (A New Hope is better) that also gets an A from me but when I grade movies, I'm not comparing them to other movies I have seen. That removes the ability for a film to exist on it's own right. Instead, I grade the movie based on what the creative team set out to do. And I feel like the creative team succeeded in spades.

Granted I didn't give this movie an A+ but then again I try my best never to give out an A+ because to me, an A+ is perfection. No movie can be perfect.

• Like 7

I don't know if you're talking to me but generally, plot only factors like 20% into my grade. Even so, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy plot was exactly what it needed to be to introduce us to the characters: in fact, I love how we meet each character. The villain (Ronan) might not have been memorable but I didn't think he was that weak: but as I said, I found the real villain of the movie to be the characters having to sacrifice their self-interest for the good of the galaxy.

I'd say the pacing was good and the original score might not have been as good as Star Wars but that's okay because what is? The music was fine and plus what made the movie's music good was the use of real-life classical music that helped set the movie apart from most space operas.

The cinematography in Guardians of the Galaxy is flawless (in my opinion, Marvel has become the best at using digital cameras), the special effects are pretty well done, the editing was good, and in general I thought the objective production that is Guardians of the Galaxy was extremely well-done. It helps that the dialogue was good and that just about every joke landed. The characters were well-developed as well.

Empire Strikes Back is a great movie as well (A New Hope is better) that also gets an A from me but when I grade movies, I'm not comparing them to other movies I have seen. That removes the ability for a film to exist on it's own right. Instead, I grade the movie based on what the creative team set out to do. And I feel like the creative team succeeded in spades.

Granted I didn't give this movie an A+ but then again I try my best never to give out an A+ because to me, an A+ is perfection. No movie can be perfect.

It was not based on you. It was based on everyone over the course of many films. I also agree with you. I don't give out A+'s and I also grade each movie on its individual goals and what its trying to achieve. 

• Like 1

Actually, Guardians is the very first movie in the MCU to be shot on 35mm.

• Like 1

It was not based on you. It was based on everyone over the course of many films. I also agree with you. I don't give out A+'s and I also grade each movie on its individual goals and what its trying to achieve. 

Actually, you aren't.  If you are comparing it to Star Wars and how it isn't as good as that, therefore it should score anywhere near it, that's the exact opposite of "grading each movie on it's individual goals."

• Like 1