Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Actually, you aren't.  If you are comparing it to Star Wars and how it isn't as good as that, therefore it should score anywhere near it, that's the exact opposite of "grading each movie on it's individual goals."

Their goals are pretty close, so it's a fitting comparison. The problem isn't the comparison, as much as the fact that he assigns so much values to grades to begin with, imo. 

• Like 1

Anyone who gives this an A having seen Star Wars beforehand is just flat out on the Marvel bandwagon without much thought

Edge Of Tomorrow wipes the floor with this

still it was alright

6/10

So I've seen Star Wars and that means that I can't love this movie?  

I've seen 2001 too, so I guess I should just watching sci-fi period since nothing can top those.

• Like 4

So I've seen Star Wars and that means that I can't love this movie?  

I've seen 2001 too, so I guess I should just watching sci-fi period since nothing can top those.

Groot and Chewy obviously have nothing in common then ?

I ain't even gonna go into all other ripoffs

Its fine but if you have seen and know Star Wars its clearly not worthy of whichever grade you give to Star Wars

But I like originality so that's just my way to look at things ... there wasn't a single ounce of originality in this one so all these 10/10 A+ grades baffle me a bit yeah

I didn't say I didn't like it I thought it was a well done ( albeit too frenetic ) ripoff ... but still a ripoff

• Like 1

Groot and Chewy obviously have nothing in common then ?I ain't even gonna go into all other ripoffsIts fine but if you have seen and know Star Wars its clearly not worthy of whichever grade you give to Star WarsBut I like originality so that's just my way to look at things ... there wasn't a single ounce of originality in this one so all these 10/10 A+ grades baffle me a bit yeahI didn't say I didn't like it I thought it was a well done ( albeit too frenetic ) ripoff ... but still a ripoff

Then I guess you don't like Star Wars because anyone who knows anything about movies knows how much that "ripped off" other films before it.
  • Like 2

And again, heres more people that think everyone on Earth loves Star Wars, and another person that think people dont know cinema just because theyre young. Ive seen Citizen Cane, The Sting, Casablanca, Psycho, Read Window, Lawrence, King Kong, etc, many of the "old, cultured movies", but I have not seen A New Hope. And im 20, and I loved GOTG. So that must mean...1. Im too young for my opinion to matter and I only like new age movies I can get on itunes or 2. Im not allowed to like anything above Star Wars. Come on, you guys are acting ridiculous. This is a personal review thread, so let people have their opinions. GotG > New Hope. There, I said it. Yes I havent seen ANH, but even if I did, I'd probably still like GotG more. It connected with me, none of the Star Wars' have. Lets throw some stones at me and invalidate my opinion. Geez.

• Like 8

I only have rudimentary knowledge of the comics, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. The ensemble has great chemistry, with each lead getting their chance to show their comic chops, and the '70's/80's greatest hits soundtrack really compliments it. The overall story arc is nothing new (particularly the action-heavy final act), but the absence of the overt self-seriousness which pervades Marvel fare (not necessarily bad in all cases), and a surprising amount of heart, ultimately gives it a unique element which distinguishes it from a lot of recent comic-book adaptations. I have always enjoyed James Gunn's work, and he still manages to put his signature spin on it, even while most likely dealing with studio pressure as he manages a much larger production budget than he is used to. 

8.5/10

• Like 2

Its fine but if you have seen and know Star Wars its clearly not worthy of whichever grade you give to Star Wars

But I like originality so that's just my way to look at things ... there wasn't a single ounce of originality in this one so all these 10/10 A+ grades baffle me a bit yeah

I didn't say I didn't like it I thought it was a well done ( albeit too frenetic ) ripoff ... but still a ripoff

Groot, Rocket, Gamora, Drax and Star-Lord ALL appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy comics before Star Wars was released.

So how can it be a rip-off of Star Wars?

• Like 3

Anyone who gives this an A having seen Star Wars beforehand is just flat out on the Marvel bandwagon without much thought

Edge Of Tomorrow wipes the floor with this

still it was alright

6/10

WHAT?? Tell me what Edge of Tomorrow has to do with this?? and 92% of critics and worldwide audiences are all bullshitting themselves because they are all on the Marvel Bandwagon?? lol. 

Not only have I seen Star Wars, I also preferred GOTG to any of them. Have some of that ass bandit.

A rip off better than the films its copying is fine by me.

• Like 1

Actually no. Guardians of the Galaxy as it's well known got published in the mid 2000s not before SW.

According to Wikipedia the first edition was 1969.

Either way, I don't really give a fuck. It was nothing like Star Wars. :P

I liked most of the act 3 fight - the stuff with Ronan, Groot protecting them, the dance off - but didn't care for the space battle stuff. IMO it wasn't exciting. It was just a splurge of CGI which I waited out until they got back to the people and the interesting stuff.

Fair enough.

But I'm still right that all the current Guardians characters were created before Star Wars.... right?

Not based on wiki.They were created after original star wars for sure. 

On Guardians ripping SW, there are definite inspirations for sure. But it was not distracting enough.