Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just saw it and really the only two things in common between GOTG and SW is that it is set up in an outlandish space universe and Rocket/Groot can remind the Han Solo/Chewbacca dynamics and communication. That's it. But the rest, not so much, especially the tone for hence. Star Wars is a straight forward space adventure harkening back to western, GOTG is a comedy adventure filled with lot of fanservice nudgings to create proximity and relatability. In fact, GOTG got more in common with Indy, Buckaroo Banzai and Big Trouble In Little China than Star Wars in its iconoclastic mash-up of references. Can someone point me to the countless pop culture references and quirky offbeats lines played for laughs in Star Wars that you'll find in GOTG? Because there were no reference to any pop culture memorabilias and nostalgic drawbacks in ANH to create some kind of constant offbeat tone putting an ironic distance and a (forced) relaxed feeling menacing the whole thing to crumble at the risk of being loose and unconcerned about it all. That's why ANH felt universal and so unique. Because there were no visible signs of belonging to an era ("A Long Time ago in a galaxy, far, far away...") nor any pop culture references of the seventies just there to cuddle the audience into some kind of laidback coolness and funny familiarity. (Quill being a child of the eighties being abducted from Earth in the eighties constantly reminding us he is a manchild from the eigthties listening to seventies and eighties stuff whose main references come from the seventies and the eighties and so on throughout the whole movie thanks to the soundtrack and visual items for gags...). Any trace of humor in SW was not because it referenced some american popculture item of its era that dates it. GOTG is the movie that wants you to laugh out loud because one character says "Kevin Bacon". Geez...

Yes. Exactly. What do you think about the movie?
  • Like 1

Cooper stole the whole show. Pratt, strangely enough, was the weakest of them all. That's my opinion, though. A-

I kinda agree. I looked forward to the movie cause of Chris Pratt (or Andy Dwyer) but coming out, the ones leaving the most impressions on me are Yondu :wub: and Groot/Rocket. I also love the Bautista and Saldana more too. But Chris Pratt still did a good job as a leading man though. Just not as impressive as the others to me.
  • Like 2

Oh dash sure do love hitting that nail on the head, I take it you wasn't a big fan of GOTG then?

Well, "not a big fan" is an apt description but it's not bad. Just pure fluff, some things work (First time the characters cross paths on Xandar), some others don't (Ronan's threat and boring motivation are just "there" and as thin as Malekith, I felt the "friendship" moment was too early to be earned and tacked on like The Avengers circle shot put in the middle of the Helicarrier scene).

Didn't care for Star-Lord or any of the characters so no one "stole the movie" (I didn't expect Rooker to have such major role though) even if the movie tries hard to earn empathy and heartfelt moments, unfortunately my mind was wandering in the middle of Knowhere as I couldn't get really invested in the convoluted but yet ultra-classic story "Heroes and baddies fight to retrieve a powerful macguffin before the world/galaxy/universe is destroyed".

However I really liked the moment when Quill saves Gamora, that was a beautiful sequence that worked, I wish the movie striked more that right chord like that but I felt it struggled to keep that same intensity elsewhere, most tone shiftings fell flat because it's systematic since the movie is sold as that self-aware space comedy that gets out of its way to make you jiggle and poke fun at anyone. So everytime Star-Lord danced, I cringed because I was like "Yeah, I got it that's so cool to dance off at any given moment because that's so offbeat and sooooo surprising in that kind of movie, dude...yawn". Gunn is like Ronan, he hammers hard but too much to no avail. I didn't get that Han Solo vibe that much but a space Indiana Jones meets Marty McFly.

But it's really "Whatever floats your boat" as humor is really subjective and hit or miss. The only moment I laughed out loud was Drax saying "I like you dumb tree, you're my friend...And you green whore...". The timing and delivery worked as he blasts Nebula (That name cracks me up for absolutely no reason) just after with the punchline "No one talks to my friend like that!" but most of the time I didn't really laugh even if I know it was supposed to be funny (Rocket's on-going jokes with stealing needless body parts) but I know somebody else will be in stitches each time Groot utters his line or whenever Star-Lord makes a cheap pop culture reference. At least, most set-ups had pay-offs in the end that tie things within the story ("We Are Groot", Quill's traumatic experience with his mom's loss, the band of outlaws becoming officially The Guardians Of The Galaxy off to new adventures), most blockbusters nowadays don't even care about get that structure right even if Nebula's escape is sequel baiting.

It's enjoyable like it is and I appreciate that they greenlighted that kind of colorful delirium but it was so close of being so much more and much more grand like Indiana Jones and the Purple Orb of Infinity set in space, I don't think I'd revisit any time soon. As of now, my top favourite Marvel movies are the two Captain America.

B-.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

Well to be honest, Im an asshole but I'm not a 100% a dick.

80% of people on this forums opinions don't mean much to me anymore. I mean Im sorry but when I see  8 A+'s in a row for this movie your telling me that you haven't "thought" about this movie to much.

I mean, you can like it or love it. But Do you guys all think its equally as good as films like Star Wars? Aliens? Jaws? The Godfather? because when you say A+ or 95/96/97 to me thats what Im reading. Plus I know if we sat face to face and had a coffee while discussing movies I'm sure 90% of you would say you really liked GOTG but its not quite Star Wars…. So I don't understand when I see Star Wars like grades.  

If Empire Strikes back is a 98 to you but you give this a 97 yet mention the villain is a little  weak, the plot to a little generic, the pacing isn't as good, the score is not close to Star Wars… Why our your guys grades so close then?

Food for thought.

My review to come later.

PS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU, Don't hate. 

I've said before on this site that I don't actually grade the movie; I grade the experience of watching the movie. If I graded the movie based off other movies, I'd be a lot less kind

Grades are stupid anyway, so it's best just to grade off experience with the film

• Like 3

• Community Manager

No... Guardians is digital, its looks and screams digital Its one reason it losses a point or so in my book.

GOTG shot on the Alexa. Also every Phase 1 movie was shot on film I believe. 

Yeah, that's what I thought. I know Phase I was shot in film as well-you can simply tell.

As for "it screams digital so it loses a point" actually gave it points to me. Then again, I'm a pretty strong supporter of digital over film so y'know...

• Like 1

Well, "not a big fan" is an apt description but it's not bad. Just pure fluff, some things work (First time the characters cross paths on Xandar), some others don't (Ronan's threat and boring motivation are just "there" and as thin as Malekith, I felt the "friendship" moment was too early to be earned and tacked on like The Avengers circle shot put in the middle of the Helicarrier scene). Didn't care for Star-Lord or any of the characters so no one "stole the movie" (I didn't expect Rooker to have such major role though) even if the movie tries hard to earn empathy and heartfelt moments, unfortunately my mind was wandering in the middle of Knowhere as I couldn't get really invested in the convoluted but yet ultra-classic story "Heroes and baddies fight to retrieve a powerful macguffin before the world/galaxy/universe is destroyed". However I really liked the moment when Quill saves Gamora, that was a beautiful sequence that worked, I wish the movie striked more that right chord like that but I felt it struggled to keep that same intensity elsewhere, most tone shiftings fell flat because it's systematic since the movie is sold as that self-aware space comedy that gets out of its way to make you jiggle and poke fun at anyone. So everytime Star-Lord danced, I cringed because I was like "Yeah, I got it that's so cool to dance off at any given moment because that's so offbeat and sooooo surprising in that kind of movie, dude...yawn". Gunn is like Ronan, he hammers hard but too much to no avail. I didn't get that Han Solo vibe that much but a space Indiana Jones meets Marty McFly. But it's really "Whatever floats your boat" as humor is really subjective and hit or miss. The only moment I laughed out loud was Drax saying "I like you dumb tree, you're my friend...And you green whore...". The timing and delivery worked as he blasts Nebula (That name cracks me up for absolutely no reason) just after with the punchline "No one talks to my friend like that!" but most of the time I didn't really laugh even if I know it was supposed to be funny (Rocket's on-going jokes with stealing needless body parts) but I know somebody else will be in stitches each time Groot utters his line or whenever Star-Lord makes a cheap pop culture reference. At least, most set-ups had pay-offs in the end that tie things within the story ("We Are Groot", Quill's traumatic experience with his mom's loss, the band of outlaws becoming officially The Guardians Of The Galaxy off to new adventures), most blockbusters nwadays don't even care about  even if Nebula's escape is sequel baiting. It's enjoyable like it is and I appreciate that they greelighted that kind of colorful delirium but it was so close of being so much more and much more grand like Indiana Jones and the Purple Orb of Infinity set in space, I don't think I'd revisit any time soon. As of now, my top favourite Marvel movies are the two Captain America. B-.

Good review, dash. I always enjoyed reading your thoughts.The second time I watched it, I noticed more flaws and awkward disjointed moments, but overall, it was fun and very enjoyable so I give it a pass. So quality-wise, it's definitely not above CA2 or The Avengers (I think Whedon's writing skills benefit him a lot more than Gunn's) but as a first outing with an ensemble team, it was handled quite well IMO.And BTW, I think you might have just typed out Tele's review for him, especially that patented B- grade :P
  • Like 3

No... Guardians is digital, its looks and screams digital Its one reason it losses a point or so in my book.GOTG shot on the Alexa. Also every Phase 1 movie was shot on film I believe.

Really? I swear I read an interview that it was the very first MCU to be shot on 35mm. Hmmmm. I guess I maybe read it backwards...

Really? I swear I read an interview that it was the very first MCU to be shot on 35mm.Hmmmm. I guess I maybe read it backwards...

Definitely shot on the Alexa, logo shows at the end of the credits

In terms of production design, cinematography, vfx etc. this gotta be Marvel's finest effort to date, right?

I agree with this. I mean, Thor's production design was horrible, and that was their only chance to actually do something memorable when it comes to production design. The opening scene for this had really beautiful cinematography. It didn't keep up after that, but it was still good.

Decent, funny movie. At times the humor seemed forced and the dialogue wasn't that great, but it had nice visuals. Could've made it without the raccoon though. In terms of quality it was ahead of 'Thor 2', but under CAP:WS.

B- 

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Decent, funny movie. At times the humor seemed forced and the dialogue wasn't that great, but it had nice visuals. Could've made it without the raccoon though. In terms of quality it was ahead of 'Thor 2', but under CAP:WS.

B- 

Rocket Raccoon was the best thing in this whole movie. Personally, I could've used a better villain.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's what I thought. I know Phase I was shot in film as well-you can simply tell.As for "it screams digital so it loses a point" actually gave it points to me. Then again, I'm a pretty strong supporter of digital over film so y'know...

It really depends on what kind of film it is whether it would look good on film or digital. It's about visual aesthetic. The digital camerawork did not fit movies like Public Enemies or Gangster Squad at all.Some directors and camera operators just don't know how to utilize the digital camera. Some sacrifice practical lighting for that shutter option digital cameras have which makes it look grainy and ugly. Edited by Jay Beezy

Loved it, Rocket and the Awesome mix Vol.1 where the best stuff in the movie. Quill´s mom sure had good taste in music.

Also, after that end credits scene I really wanna see a Howard The Duck reboot movie made by Marvel Studio. Another Lucas mess that Disney could fix.

Edited by Boxx93 of Winterfell
  • Like 1

It started off well enough, but by the half way point it really started to drag for me and a lot of the humor and "serious" drama felt forced whenever it didn't just fall flat, bravo to the black light joke though(the fact that half the theater wasn't laughing made it funnier, presumably the kids not getting it and/or disgusted parents).  And I'm sorry, but the scene where Gamora and Star Lord are floating in space for a few minutes and surviving without anything on to protect them was just an utterly dumb eyeroll moment... even for a light-hearted comic book movie.  Villain was as boring and 1 note as they come, but thats not surprising in these movies anymore.  I liked a lot of the music though!

C+