Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Honestly he annoyed the crap out of me. Inconsistent accent (from I don't know what) and dialogue that sounded neutered. Very much an R rated character stuck in a Disney movie.

Damn your the first person in here I noticed hating Rocket Gopher? Didnt he have a lot of good scenes?

I am still debating if this was the best Marvel movie or not. If it isn't, it is, at worst, second.

Obviously I really enjoyed it.  It hit all the right chords for me.  It was funny, but not forced or the sometimes bad Marvel humor, it actually had emotion and attachment for the characters, as well.

Great soundtrack of course, which with all the youngins here, may not be as appreciated as it should be :P

I loved the end credit scene although only me and maybe two other people seem to get it.  But I laughed.

A

• Like 3

This is probably my new favorite Marvel movie, and it's the first movie this year I intend to see twice in the theater (the only other Marvel movie I saw more than once was The Avengers), everything in it worked and the team was better than The Avengers.  I had no issues with it (and when I do find flaws they will be rendered unimportant because it's that enjoyable of a movie) A+

• Like 3

Just saw this in IMAX 3D.  I wasn't going to see this in theaters, but with so many glowing reviews I had to. Maybe I went in with high expectations, but I didn't like it. There was nothing special or innovative about GotG.  I did enjoy the raccoon, Groot, and baby Groot (okay I loved baby Groot), but the rest did nothing for me.

This will be one of those few comic book movies that I will probably never watch again, like Thor 2 and TASM2. I was hoping it would be great like Cap 2 or DoFP, but no such luck.

D+

Damn your the first person in here I noticed hating Rocket Gopher? Didnt he have a lot of good scenes?

Ayo Kal! What's up, buddy? 

His verisimilitude is impressive. I believed his presence on screen and how the blends in with the world around him. But he's a one-note character, perhaps the most one-note of all the Guardians, and he's rarely ever funny (the leg/eye gag being an exception for me). He's given lines like "OH YEAH" when being given a gun. You know he wants to say something dirtier and cannot, so he has a lot of stupid, obvious lines. 

Ayo Kal! What's up, buddy? 

His verisimilitude is impressive. I believed his presence on screen and how the blends in with the world around him. But he's a one-note character, perhaps the most one-note of all the Guardians, and he's rarely ever funny (the leg/eye gag being an exception for me). He's given lines like "OH YEAH" when being given a gun. You know he wants to say something dirtier and cannot, so he has a lot of stupid, obvious lines. 

I disagree with him being one-note. He's sarcastic, but his heart is very much present for much of the film. I think his real dramatic highlight is his "reason you suck" speech to Drax halfway through.

If any dialogue sounded neutered to me, it was Quill's line about the "sticks up their butts". No one over 13 says "butt" among peers these days.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

All those hangar bays that are just open to space with people just walking around in them?

I assumed there was a kind of force-field separating the bays from outer space and providing artificial airlocks to keep the temperature/pressure/air mixture intact.

Edited by lilmac

I disagree with him being one-note. He's sarcastic, but his heart is very much present for much of the film. I think his real dramatic highlight is his "reason you suck" speech to Drax halfway through.

If any dialogue sounded neutered to me, it was Quill's line about the "sticks up their butts". No one over 13 says "butt" among peers these days.

Given his upbringing, Quill would probably swear like crazy. They all would, in a normal James Gunn movie. 

His "heart" felt forced. I'd be fine with him remaining sardonic so long as he felt sardonic. I think generally speaking the movie wants to have it all the ways. Quirky, but not weird enough to turn off mass audiences. Visually wonky, but with all the same style of action you'd expect from a Marvel film. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

Given his upbringing Quill, would probably swear like a motherfucker. They all would, in a normal James Gunn movie. 

Probably, but you could say the same for every other PG-13 action movie.

I know Frozone would've been adding some f-words to his supersuit rant.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 6

Probably, but you could say the same for every other PG-13 action movie.I know Frozone would've been adding some f-words to his supersuit rant.

Yeah, as much as I would have liked to see some sailor mouthed characters in Quill and Rocket (I can see why Gamora, Groot, and Draxx wouldn't), I realize why they can't. They put in some minor swearing and that worked (especially Pratt's uncensored flip off) and that was fine with me. I don't want them to make an R rated Guardians movie because I want Guardians to pull in that family cash.
  • Like 1

Ok after rewatch, downgrade Ronan to a shit villain. I think the first viewing I had the sense that he did more than he actually did and he looked cool.

But nope. He did hardly anything and actually SUCCUMBED to a dance off. Which is a great gag, but seriously undermines your villain.

• Like 10

Ok after rewatch, downgrade Ronan to a shit villain. I think the first viewing I had the sense that he did more than he actually did and he looked cool.

But nope. He did hardly anything and actually SUCCUMBED to a dance off. Which is a great gag, but seriously undermines your villain.

Yeah. Ronan was super disappointing.

• Like 3

Yeah. Ronan was super disappointing.

I agree with both of you. Ronan was not a great villain at all. Easily my biggest negative with the movie. 

• Like 2

its good but not great. its entertaining for seeing it once. I think I will check it out when its on TV. But I liked humor in this more than say avengers. Pratt aces his role and Groot was fantastic. Scene where he wrecks havoc and then turns and smiles at pratt/drax brought the house down. Also baby groot was a highlight. I am expecting in the sequel newly grown groot will have better vocabulary(may be using words from the 70's/80's hits.

Overall solid B+/A- for me. Way above Thor 2/IM2 etc but below IM1 and Cap2.