Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Frankly I don't understand why they needed Tyler Bates at all here. 

I liked the comic book soundtrack blend with 80s music, it made the moments with 80s music and the moments with a classic score behind it equally as meaningful.

I kind of get complaints about Ronan, but come on out of the Phase 2 villains we have gotten the only two that are really better are Trevor and Redford.

Guy Pierce was a bad villain, The Dark Elf was a terrible villain, and Hydra was cliche as fuck.

Ronan was serviceable, similar to Star Trek 09's villain, and I thought the dance off at the end was hysterical and actually believable.  (Given his culture that was hinted at before if I was him and saw somebody start dancing around right before I was going to destroy a planet i'd stop and looked confused for a second as well.)  Besides this movie needed to be about the Guardians coming together, and that means less time to develop your villain.

I liked the comic book soundtrack blend with 80s music, it made the moments with 80s music and the moments with a classic score behind it equally as meaningful.

I kind of get complaints about Ronan, but come on out of the Phase 2 villains we have gotten the only two that are really better are Trevor and Redford.

Guy Pierce was a bad villain, The Dark Elf was a terrible villain, and Hydra was cliche as fuck.

Ronan was serviceable, similar to Star Trek 09's villain, and I thought the dance off at the end was hysterical and actually believable.  (Given his culture that was hinted at before if I was him and saw somebody start dancing around right before I was going to destroy a planet i'd stop and looked confused for a second as well.)  Besides this movie needed to be about the Guardians coming together, and that means less time to develop your villain.

I feel the dance off would have been better served for someone like Djimon Hounsou's character, not the big baddie who's supposed to be all powerful.

I think I'm just disappointed that they wasted Lee Pace, who has proven he can chew some scenery terrifically.

• Like 6

I disagree with him being one-note. He's sarcastic, but his heart is very much present for much of the film. I think his real dramatic highlight is his "reason you suck" speech to Drax halfway through.If any dialogue sounded neutered to me, it was Quill's line about the "sticks up their butts". No one over 13 says "butt" among peers these days.

"Stick up their butts" is the metaphor though, I don't think it would have affected the age rating in the slightest if they said "ass" instead. They got away with dick and prick a lot. Edited by jessie

• Community Manager

I say butt to my peers and I'm 22. I also say ass.I really don't care that Ronan was a weak villain. To me, this was a movie about getting a bunch of outlaws to transform into a team of guardians. Ronan was the catalyst.The real villain of the movie was the characters own self-interest over the good of the universe.

• Like 6

I say butt to my peers and I'm 22. I also say ass.I really don't care that Ronan was a weak villain. To me, this was a movie about getting a bunch of outlaws to transform into a team of guardians. Ronan was the catalyst.The real villain of the movie was the characters own self-interest over the good of the universe.

I agree, it's like Star Trek 09.
  • Like 1

I feel the dance off would have been better served for someone like Djimon Hounsou's character, not the big baddie who's supposed to be all powerful.I think I'm just disappointed that they wasted Lee Pace, who has proven he can chew some scenery terrifically.

That was a fantastic way to beat the villain (well they had grabbing the infinity stone bit to), it was creative and catches you by surprise as well (and it's properly foreshadowed). Now that it know they killed him that way I would have been disappointed with anything else.

"Stick up their butts" is the metaphor though, I don't think it would have affected the age rating in the slightest if they said "ass" instead. They got away with dick and prick a lot.

I think "butts" is perfectly fine. Just like how Tatum says "homeless people doo-dooing everywhere." It's so much funnier to me hearing him say doo-dooing rather than "shitting." It's such a silly thing and that's what they were going for.
  • Like 2

That was a fantastic way to beat the villain (well they had grabbing the infinity stone bit to), it was creative and catches you by surprise as well (and it's properly foreshadowed). Now that it know they killed him that way I would have been disappointed with anything else.

I might just have a stick up my butt, but I just thought it really devalued Ronan. Funny as it is, it lingers in my head with a sour taste.

• Like 1

I might just have a stick up my butt, but I just thought it really devalued Ronan. Funny as it is, it lingers in my head with a sour taste.

I loved it, for the simply goofyness of it, but also I thought Pace played it fantastically.  It was by far his best acting of the film.  You could see that he came this close to actually laughing, but in the end the dick side of the Force was just too strong in him.  That momentary battle between the simple human impulse to laugh at sillyness vs. the broiling hatred of his fanaticism was perfect.

I'd actually be really interested to know if that was a genuine character choice or if Pace himself was really struggling to keep from laughing on the set.

• Like 1

Haven't seen it twice so I'll withhold my grade for now. Great, entertaining movie made from characters, I honestly didn't care much for. If Marvel can make great fun films about C characters like these, just imagine what they will do with the rest of their more major lineup like Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc.

Also, I love the post credits sequence with Howard the Duck. It's as if Marvel is saying "Marvel on the big screen started 28 years ago with a lame film about a C grade character and now we've come full circle with GOTG. However this time we're in full creative control. So C grade characters? Sure, but the film is anything but lame."

• Like 5

Haven't seen it twice so I'll withhold my grade for now. Great, entertaining movie made from characters, I honestly didn't care much for. If Marvel can make great fun films about C characters like these, just imagine what they will do with the rest of their more major lineup like Dr. Strange, Black Panther, etc.

Also, I love the post credits sequence with Howard the Duck. It's as if Marvel is saying "Marvel on the big screen started 28 years ago with a lame film about a C grade character and now we've come full circle with GOTG. However this time we're in full creative control. So C grade characters? Sure, but the film is anything but lame."

Personally I'd take my Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and 3 over things like Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, etc.  

The more I think about GOTG the more I love everything about it.  They may be C-List characters but I found them much more compelling than any character Marvel has given so far.

• Like 4