Rorschach

CAYOM Comic-Con Year 9

And now for the last segment of my panel!

1:18: The panel looks to be wrapping up, but it seems as though a special announcement has yet to be made. Perhaps it could be the Half Life movie that HGP recently gained the rights to. Or maybe Hand Drawn Heroes 2. The video footage seems to go up on the screen, and a trailer begins to play.

1:20: Here is the trailer:

HOURGLASS PICTURES

*We see a battle of samurai and a feudal Japanese villiage on fire through several short cuts*

*A samurai wakes up slowly, as if having a bad dream. He is laying inside a tent in the forest, waking up and looking at a fairly futuristic city in the background*

Samurai: He is coming.

*The ground begins to shake, and the Samurai gets his sword ready.*

Samurai: I am not afraid of you, and you will pay for all that you have done.*

*Trees begin to shake wildly, eventually falling over and nearly hitting the samurai, who narrowly avoids them*

*A giant spirit comes out of the ground, and the samurai gets into battle position*

The Spirit’s Voice: So.....we meet again.

*We cut to the spirit, it is Aku, in a fearful, CGI form. He resembles a mix of a dragon and a demon.*

Aku: ....Jack.

*Jack jumps up to attack him, and Aku slithers towards him, about to strike.*

SAMURAI JACK

COMING Y11 IN 3D AND IMAX 3D

1:25: The crowd has gone absolutely insane, especially as Darren Aronofsky comes up on stage. Indeed, he is directing a movie of Samurai Jack, depicting the end of the titular hero’s battle with the evil sorcerer, Aku. He is excited to direct a big blockbuster after obtaining more mainstream success in Extrasensory and Resonance (we’ll leave Kansas out of this). Tadanobu Asano will play Jack, while Ken Watanabe will portray Aku. Filling Mako’s shoes will be no light task, but the studio has great hopes for Watanabe. No other news have been released, but the filmmakers are no doubt excited for this project, which should undoubtedly be one of the most exciting films by the studio. Genndy Tartakovsky has also signed on to produce and co-write the film.

1:29: Well, that was the Hourglass Pictures panel! So many big stars and promising movies! We’re signing off now, but enjoy the rest of Comic Con!

:wiggle:  :wiggle:  :wiggle:  :wiggle: 

• Like 2

Poster descriptions for Comic Con films:

Spark: Supernova - A black and white shot of Alex, with a face of intensity, firing a blue energy beam to the side of the poster.

A Love Worth Killing For - A parody of the poster for The Postman, with JLaw walking across a desert road with a gun, while Tatum is carrying her backs.

• Like 2

Emerald Pictures studio director has been found asleep in a bathroom stall. Numerous people reported that, thinking that the person inside had health problems, which ultimately led to the security slamming the door down only to wake him up. When asked what he was doing, he refused to comment and blamed the scheduling for the 90 minute gap between presentations.

• Like 3

In a shocking turn of events, Star Platinum Studios President Joseph Joestarr has apparently gone missing from his room. Foul play is not suspected as Studio Vice-President, Jotaro Joestarr (no relation) has told reporters that 'he tends to do that'. Whether this will cause any delays in SPS's presentation is unclear at this time.

In unrelated news, the Endangered Condor Convention taking place next door (or 'ConCon' as it's better known) has apparently tripled its security.

• Like 3

I don't know if you saw Spaghetti. But one of my rules was that any film being released after July of next year cannot have a trailer. It may have only stills from production and concept art if you wish. I guess though that I could extend the limit to only one film but hats as far as I'll go. Good trailer though. Samurai Jack is Awesome!!!

• Like 1

I don't know if you saw Spaghetti. But one of my rules was that any film being released after July of next year cannot have a trailer. It may have only stills from production and concept art if you wish. I guess though that I could extend the limit to only one film but hats as far as I'll go. Good trailer though. Samurai Jack is Awesome!!!

Tbh, I think that's kinda arbitrary. Tron: Legacy had footage show at Comic-Con 2009, more than a year away, and the Samurai Jack trailer probably would've lasted under a minute.

I think people will probably stay realistic, but rules like that aren't really fair.

• Like 2

Numerator Pictures Year 9 CC Panels

PANEL 1- MYSTERIES OF THE BEYOND: FRACTURED WORLDS

5:00 PM- Here to present some exclusive scenes from the movie are director Alik Sakharov and producers J.J. Abrams and Jack Bender (who directed the first film).

5:02- First we hear from Jack Bender, who says that while his duties directing Green Lantern have forced him to devote the majority of his time to that feature, he was still heavily involved in the pre-production and storyboarding for Mysteries 2. He says that he helped pick Alik for the job.

5:04- Alik then says it has been an honor to make the jump from television to this esteemed sci-fi franchise and that JJ and Jack have been great in helping to shepherd the process and keep the studio off his back.

5:05- JJ says helping guide the franchise from behind the scenes has been a tremendous opportunity and now proceeds to introduce a few clips from the movie…

5:06- The first clip shows the returning members of the Copernicus team meeting the new additions to the crew: Elena (Diane Kruger), Nakuri (Hiroyuki Sanada), and Ahmed (Saïd Taghmaoui). The clip shows the initial awkwardness and tension between the crew and the new arrivals.

5:09- The next clip introduces audiences to two new Spasslian characters: Bahroka (voiced by Keri Russell) and Neze (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch). The clip shows the Spasslian legislature debating how to continue relations with the human operations on their planet, with Bahroka and returning character Laagral (voiced by Richard Armitage) giving their opinions on the matter. Then Neze enters the scene, interrupting the meeting, and monologues about the danger of the humans and the need to secure their own destiny. Neze’s closing line before he is forced to leave is “All of you know where I stand. One People. One Planet. One Future. The humans want to be that One. It is time for all of you to decide whether you will let them.” The audience oohs and chills at Cumberbatch’s delivery.

5:13- The third clip shows Kyle Chandler, Anthony Mackie, Taraji P. Henson, and Saïd Taghmaoui’s characters investigating a large metallic spherical chamber with chairs surrounding a raised electronic console. The characters investigate the console which has lots of buttons with writing on them. Kyle Chandler’s character warns the others not to touch anything, saying “Pressing buttons at random because you think you know what they do is not a valid scientific strategy.” The Prometheus reference draws scattered laughter from the crowd. They are then interrupted by a squad of Spasslians who hold them at gunpoint and order their surrender. The sound of distant gunfire then distracts them, which allows for Chandler and Mackie to quickly rush in and take them out with hand to hand combat. “Science lesson’s over I guess” Mackie’s character quips as the four rush out to escape. Alik Sakharov mentions to the audience that this is actually two scenes stitched together with editing, and that a scene with other members of the crew occurs in-between them.

5:17- The fourth clip shows Cillian Murphy tied to a chair and being interrogated by Neze. The scene gives us some background about Neze’s character and how he has experienced visions through his life that have given him the “Prophet” title. The scene also has Neze say that his world does not belong to the humans and that he will ensure every last one of them on it is killed if they continue trying to steal its secrets. The crowd murmurs at that and one guy loudly shouts “Oh snap, he bad!” which makes people laugh.

5:20- The fifth and final scene shows the Copernicus in space zooming and dodging small hunks of space rock and what look like missiles in near-orbit by an unidentified world. Cillian Murphy, Anthony Mackie, and Kyle Chandler are in the cockpit, Mackie piloting. We see the ship take a couple glancing hits that mostly are absorbed by the shields but still cause some damage. Mackie continues to try to evade the incoming missiles while Chandler gives orders about making repairs and tending to injured and Murphy tracks the ship sensors. The clip is heavily edited to avoid giving away what is shooting at the ship or any details about the new planet or other crew members. A large missile locks on and pierces the shields and causes a large explosion that tears the back quarter off the ship, including most of the engines. The crowd gasps in shock as the crippled Copernicus, venting atmosphere, drifts towards the planet as Chandler’s voice is heard on a radio saying “Naira is everything okay in the hold? Naira can you hear me? Is anyone alive back there?...” The lights come back on and the crowd applauds.

5:25- It’s now time for the panel Q&A, joining Sakharov, Bender, and Abrams are cast members Cillian Murphy, Frieda Pinto, Anthony Mackie, Kyle Chandler, Richard Armitage, Keri Russell, Diane Kruger, and Benedict Cumberbatch.

5:26- First Question goes to Cucumber: “So, in this movie you’re playing a lizard alien called Neze. In the Spark franchise you play a lizard alien called Ezen. Is that an inside joke or something?” The panel chuckles, especially Bender and Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch smiles and says Neze is Ezen’s evil twin who got separated at birth and sent into a parallel dimension. “He’s evil because he’s upset that Ezen has all the fangirls.”

5:28- The next question is a general one: “What would you say are the big themes of this movie?” Sakharov replies that they are fear, trust, and how we delude ourselves into feelings of destiny and power. Most of the cast nods and Bender chimes in saying that if Mysteries of the Beyond was about the search for new worlds and life, the sequel is about the tough realities of what happens once you find that new life. “How much do you trust one another? How do you work together to achieve common goals? And what happens when your search for greater understanding stokes fear and violence from the other side?” Murphy adds that the tone of this movie is a lot more political, and the Copernicus team not only has to confront alien pressures, but faces internal fracturing as well.

5:33- Next question to Diane Kruger, asking about her character. Kruger responds that her character is a physicist from the Allied Soviet Republics and plays an important role in analyzing energy readings and star movements that are data MacGuffins in the first half of the film. She says the audience is supposed to be uncertain as to how trustworthy her character is. Keri Russell is asked a similar question and she says that Bakroka is a Spasslian diplomat who is desperately trying to smooth over the growing tensions between the aliens and the humans who have set up outposts on their planet.

5:37- The panel is then asked if there is more romance in the movie to add to Murphy and Pinto’s characters. Armitage smiles and says Laagral gets to make “sweet, sweet, scaly Lizard Love,” causing the panel, especially Russell and Cumberbatch, to burst out into laughter. Bender says there will be some additional romance in the film, or at least a couple couples growing close together.

5:40- The panel is asked what the most intense part of the production was. The unanimous response was the Copernicus attack briefly glimpsed in the final clip. Sakharov tells us that in order to best simulate the insides of the ship under the stress of missile attack, they built life-size replicas of the sets inside rotation turbines and would rotate and jerk them around to simulate the characters being thrown around by the ship being hit and things flying. “It’s like that awesome rotating hallway they built for Inception, only we did it with more rooms and with more than just rotating” the audience hears, which prompts many “ooohs.” Pinto says she and the rest of the cast spent about two weeks in those rooms filming a handful of minutes of footage to get every little shot right and the result was a ton of bruises. “But it was so worth it.”

5:45- And with that the Q&A ends.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 6

Tbh, I think that's kinda arbitrary. Tron: Legacy had footage show at Comic-Con 2009, more than a year away, and the Samurai Jack trailer probably would've lasted under a minute. I think people will probably stay realistic, but rules like that aren't really fair.

In the year 9 discussion page, I specifically stated that rule. You had a couple of days to respond to me and tell me that you didn't think that rule was so great. I also stated in that post you responded to not so long ago that I upped the amount of trailers to at least one for each person. One freebie and nothing else. The main reason I started this was to get people excited about films coming out in the next year and a half or so and get them talking about it. Y11 is a ways away and a lot of things can happen between now and then. Heck, maybe if Spaghetti gets the writing for SJ done early enough, maybe he may push up the date. Idk. I'm just trying to at least set some ground rules so we aren't given piles upon piles of trailers. You are inclined to disagree with me otherwise but as it stands. One freebie and that's it.Also, no footage for any films Y12 and beyond are aloud.
  • Like 1

PANEL 2- IT’S KIND OF A FANTASY

5:48- Here are the writers and brains behind Numerator Pictures’ next animated offering: Charlie Day, Rob McElhenny, and Glenn Howerton. The crowd hoots and claps when they enter the stage.

5:50- The three briefly talk about the premise and concept of the film. It seeks to mock and make fun of the fantasy genre in the CAYOM world while also telling a tale of misanthropes and slackers bumbling their way into saving the day. Expect a good amount of references and stand-ins for classic CAYOM fantasy movies as well as other fantasy staples.

5:52- Charlie Day talks about the other thing he thinks makes the movie a treat: It will be presented in several different animated formats and color schemes through the course of the film. He presents a clip from early on in the movie to show an example

5:54- The clip takes place in “our world” in the present day. It is in black-and-white and done in Claymation. The clip follows the two main characters, voiced by Charlie Day and Rob McElhenny as they walk and talk about the book store they've inherited from some distant relative they never heard of (the characters are cousins) and are disappointed they didn't get anything awesome like money or sports cars. They investigate the dusty, run-down book store and comment about it humorously, until they find a storage room in the back with a large wardrobe. The two bicker about whether or not the wardrobe is actually a portal to another world like Narnia before losing interest and leaving. After they leave, the wardrobe glows.

5:58- After the clip ends, the three writers say that the majority of the movie will be in a CGI animation format, but the characters will end up in different worlds through the course of the movie which will be shown in other formats, such as traditional animation and interpolated rotoscoping. Rob McElhenny presents a clip showing the majority animation and fantasy world:

6:00- The clip takes place in the base fantasy world most of the film is located in. In it, Charlie and Rob’s characters are led into a colorful Stonehenge-like circle by a satyr, voiced by Glenn Howerton. The satyr explains that each stone doorway contains a portal to another realm of the fantasy dimension. He yammers on about where they go and what they do as Charlie and Rob make bored facial and hand expressions, until Charlie points at one portal and asks “Where does that one go?”

Satyr *frowning*: “You don’t want to go into that one.”

Rob: “Why not?”

Satyr: “We simply never go in there.”

Rob *after a pause*: You can’t just say that. There has be to an actual reason.

Charlie: “Yeah, why you say stuff like that it just makes people want to go in there more.”

Satyr *standing up straight and speaking overdramatically*: “Enter it if you dare, but I must warn you, few who enter have ever returned to this place, and no one who has ever returned comes back the same.”

Charlie *after a pause, then exasperated*: “See, you did it again! You say vague, mysterious shit to warn us but all it does is make the thing more attractive!”

Rob: “Fuck it, I’m going in.”

Charlie *a bit resigned*: “Yeah, me too.”

Satyr *he sighs*: Fine, fine, just take a quick look and get the fuck right back okay? We got important shit to do here.

*Rob and Charlie walk towards the portal and stop when the Satyr calls to them*

Satyr: “Oh, one last thing. Whatever you do, don’t let them sing to you. It’s bad. It’s really bad. I mean it’s like the worst fucking thing ever.”

Rob *scoffing*: Dude, I sat through 3 hours of Les Sympathiques. If I could handle that crap, I can handle whatever’s through this thing.

Charlie: “You said you liked it.”

Rob: “What?”

Charlie: “Les Sympathiques! After we saw it you said you liked it!”

Rob: “We were with two chicks. Of course I was gonna say I liked it!”

*Charlie looks away sad and hurt*

Satyr: Seriously guys? We got a world to save so stop dicking around.

*The two continue to walk to the portal, which we see is framed by a stone doorway that is draped in lots of pink and purple flowers and has on top a small statute of a unicorn.*

6:05- After the clip, the three point out that as the audience can tell, this will be a very coarse and profane movie. Glenn says the good thing about Numerator Pictures making megatons of profit from its other films means they can toss $100+ million at the occasional animated film and tell its creators to go nuts. “Creative freedom is a wonderful thing.”

6:08- Other main cast members are now introduced: Kristen Bell, Burn Gorman, and Danny DeVito. Other major roles are still seeking voice actors. Kristen Bell will be voicing the female lead of the movie and her character model appears to be an homage to Selene from Sylvarius. She talks about being glad to be asked again to voice a role in a Numerator Pictures animated film and says her character will be a lot more assertive and “worldly” than previous voice acting stints she has done. Those who expect another Anna "will be shocked." Burn Gorman will be voicing a major antagonist, though is tight-lipped as to whether he will be THE antagonist. Danny DeVito will be voicing a character that he generously describes as a “loathsome, despicable, greedy creature.” All the people present field a few questions about the voice acting process.

6:15- The panel closes out.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 6

PANEL 3- UNTITLED STAR WARS MOVIE

6:18- The panel begins with the introduction of the director, Jennifer Yuh

6:19- Jennifer talks about what an honor and privilege it is to be chosen to helm a new Star Wars movie. “It’s great making the jump from animation to live action, and there’s no better way to make that jump than with Star Wars.”

6:21- The film will be called Star Wars: The Path of a Jedi and comes out November 20, Year 10. Jennifer says the film, like Age of the Republic, is based on a comic story arc and will be the first film since Empire Strikes Back to deliver a large focus on the training of Jedi in the Force. “We wanted to really show how a Jedi Master in these older times trained students and guided them to the right choices” Yuh said.

6:23- The protagonist of the film is played by CAYOM Oscar nominee Deborah Ann Woll. Jennifer says they originally had signed Emily Blunt, but she dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Her replacement came down to either Woll or Karen Gillian, and it was a tight contest. Jennifer hopes that there is a role for Karen in a future Star Wars film since it was heartbreaking to not be able to cast both, but adds that Deborah has been fantastic in her screen tests and the table reads with other cast members.

6:26- At this point Deborah Ann Woll enters to applause. She briefly talks about her character, Nomi Sunrider, who she says has an infinitely more badass last name than Luke Skywalker. Nomi is in her late 20s, married, and with a toddler daughter when tragic events happen that cause her to realize she can use the Force. She seeks out a Jedi Master her husband knew to see if she can be trained and the film goes from there. Deborah says that Nomi is a strong-willed woman who is fierce in defending her friends and loved ones, but also has to overcome a lot of internal doubts about whether she can truly learn the Force and become a Jedi.

6:30- The two then present a series of storyboards and concept art pieces showing the visual style and locations of the movie. The location storyboards primarily show the rocky desert world of Ambria, which has a number of dark, ominous-looking lakes. A few also show the famous Expanded Universe moon of Nar Shaddaa, which is a moon covered completely in a vast urban center thousands of feet high and is a hive of scum and villainy. The storyboards also show concept art of Nomi Sunrider in various stages of training, including one picture of her standing in front of her daughter, lightsaber drawn, protecting her from a pack of Hssis. Another shows a grim-looking Nomi standing on a landing platform on Nar Shaddaa, overlooking the vast megalopolis. We also see concept art for other characters, including the quadruped Jedi Master Thon, a Tchuukthai.

6:35- Jennifer and Deborah now introduce the rest of the main cast members: Dane DeHaan as Jedi apprentice Oss Willum, Rila Fukushima as Jedi apprentice Shoaneb Culu, Ansel Elgort as Jedi apprentice Vrook Lamar, and veteran voice actor Steve Blum as the voice for Master Thon.

6:37- A panel Q&A begins. Jennifer says that the current film series, while rooted in the story arcs of the Tales of the Jedi comics, continues to build out connections to other areas of the Star Wars Expanded Universe to create a single cinematic continuity. Just as Age of the Republic brought in the character of Krynda Draay, this film will bring in Vrook Lamar, who was a Jedi Master and member of the Jedi Council in the KOTOR video games, which take place 40 years later.

6:40- Jennifer also says that she is aware of some of the feminist critiques towards Age of the Republic and says the Path of a Jedi is a film about a woman finding her way in the galaxy and has strong themes of family, motherhood, and setting a right path for one's life. She says the film is not only about Nomi’s training, but also about her coming to terms with her desires for revenge and justice.

6:43- Deborah says that she’s developed a strong bond with her fellow cast members and the physical training for the role has been intense. Ansel Elgort agrees and says he, Deborah, Dane, and Rila have all started training lightsaber sparring technique and so far “I’m getting my butt kicked by these three.”

6:45- Rila briefly talks about her character, who is a Miraluka. As Miraluka are born with empty eye sockets as they see through the Force, Rila will be wearing a veil over the top half of her face while in-character. “Hopefully it’s see through for me so I don’t bump into everything every five seconds” she says to laughs.

6:47- Dane is asked whether it’s the best feeling ever to be in a Star Wars film. His response is:

:qotd:

6:48- We get some additional concept art of locations and characters. One piece shows Dane DeHaan’s character riding Master Thon into battle. Steve Blum says he hopes he doesn’t have to get on all fours and carry Dane on his back for the motion capture, prompting laughs.

6:53- With that the panel ends.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4