Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

(You didn't even answer my exemple and didn't see the "science plays some major role in the plot" part.)

Imagine Gravity was actually about Clooney and Bullock falling in love with each other and then breaking up. So is it scifi or a romcom?

If it is in a space travel, it is both.

Space Travel = Sci-fi

So "Space Travel" is scifi then a movie about some blue collar astronauts traveling to work on Endeavour shuttle to ISS space stations to repair solar panels focusing on their daily relationships would be "scifi" even if there's nothing fictional and speculative in doing so, it actually exists on a daily basis. What is speculative about that actual science? :huh: That's weird.

Edited by dashrendar44

So "Space Travel" is scifi then a movie about some blue collar astronauts traveling to work on Endeavour shuttle to ISS space stations to repair solar panels focusing on their daily relationships would be "scifi" even if there's nothing fictional and speculative in doing so, it actually exists on a daily basis. What is speculative about that actual science? :huh: That's weird.

I agree, but it is true. If it has space travel, it is sci-fi.

From Wikipedia:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, extraterrestrial life, and paranormal abilities.

Gravity is sci-fi.

OMG! Space travel as in faster than light travel to different systems and such. Just because you actually travel a tiny bit amount through space in order to get to the ISS doesn't make that sci-fi *lol*.

• Like 2

I don't care what IMDb writes. It doesn't.

Btw, Apollo 13 is not sci-fi according to them. IMDb is inconsistent.

Apollo 13 can't be sci-fi because it's a retelling of a historical event. There's no actual fiction beyond liberties taken with the characters.

dash, futurist, and their ilk are taking the most constrictive meaning of speculative and running with it while holding fingers in their ears going  "Nahnahnahnahnahnah can't hear you!" to the people rebutting their blanket assertions.

• Like 1

I attribute scifi to science and ideas beyond current human understanding or technology. Gravity is a fictional film set in space that involves some advanced technology. So if that is science fiction to you than Gravity is scifi. But considering none of what is in Gravity (At least based off the trailers) is beyond current human tech or ideas (because it actually exists and is in use in the same way that Gravity shows) I don't consider science-fiction. The only thing fictional about it is the story itself, because it isn't based off true events, but the events presented in the film are possible.

• Like 1

I attribute scifi to science and ideas beyond current human understanding or technology. Gravity is a fictional film set in space that involves some advanced technology. So if that is science fiction to you than Gravity is scifi. But considering none of what is in Gravity (At least based off the trailers) is beyond current human tech or ideas (because it actually exists and is in use in the same way that Gravity shows) I don't consider science-fiction. The only thing fictional about it is the story itself, because it isn't based off true events, but the events presented in the film are possible.

Let's step back from space and use another example:

Contagion was a film about a flu pandemic. Everything that goes on in the film is possible and plausible and fits within the present day technology, society, and procedures. It's still sci-fi, if a narrow niche of it.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Let's step back from space and use another example:

Contagion was a film about a flu pandemic. Everything that goes on in the film is possible and plausible and fits within the present day technology, society, and procedures. It's still sci-fi, if a narrow niche of it.

It is? It wouldn't consider it scifi either. I see it more as a disaster film.

What is that narrow niche of scifi by chance?

Edited by StarSaber
  • Like 1

You dont have to go futuristic or beyond current human tech to be sci-fi.

The Day after Tomorrow is sci-fi, so is Gravity. Same way you dont dismiss Deep Impact or Armageddon as sci-fi just because what happens in these movies actually happened in reality, though in a smaller scale.

You dont have to go futuristic or beyond current human tech to be sci-fi.

The Day after Tomorrow is sci-fi, so is Gravity. Same way you dont dismiss Deep Impact or Armageddon as sci-fi just because what happens in these movies actually happened in reality, though in a smaller scale.

Day After Tomorrow is not based in reality. The science about climate change had to be altered to fit into the size of a movie; it doesn't work like that. I might even consider more of a fantasy. Armageddon is a story about destroying an asteroid by landing on it. At this point in time that is not going to happen. It was only recently that we got something on an asteroid let alone a whole team with advanced technology to go and destroy one. I don't know the story of Deep Impact so I can't comment.

Like I said in my first comment though. 100 years ago Gravity would be scifi, today it isn't. Armageddon might not be scifi 30 years from now.

• Like 2