Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

But, really, I think this film has more Internet buzz than real life buzz. Talk to anyone in college or high school, and I doubt most give a rats ass about this film currently.

Im in college and i know a lot people excited here. I even know a few people that want to see it this weekend but they cant cuz they're going out of town so they're waiting. (they're not geeks, sorority females actually). My brother is in high school and I texted him and asked and he said its been talked about a little. Just go to twitter and you see countless posts not just from bloggers and reviewers, but from the high school and college aged crowd too, and theyre excited. The reason is because young adults are treating this as a "horror", which is good. Getting lost in space is a legitimate fear. The over 25 crowd should come out more than the under 25 this OW, but the under 25 will really start checking this out over the coming weeks once WOM kicks in. It's not at the top of the young crowds list this weekend, but they give more than a rats ass.

Edited by Twerkdrew
  • Like 4

I don't think that is a bad predict. I would have guessed around that a week ago. But, with buzz soaring now and reviews coming in, I have upped my prediction to $28M. It might go higher if WOM really starts to hit before the weekend is over. But, really, I think this film has more Internet buzz than real life buzz. Talk to anyone in college or high school, and I doubt most give a rats ass about this film currently.

Well, here was my logic behind the :rofl: ing.

Two weeks ago, a two-and-half-hour R-rated dramatic mystery about torture and child kidnapping starring only Hugh Jackman as the big name (yes, people know Gylenhaal but he's not a draw) with about 80% on RT opened to 20M.

This weekend, a hour-and-a-half PG-13 sci-fi thriller starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney (both of which are huge draws) with the highest RT of any wide-release so far this year AND it's in 3D and IMAX3D. The idea it'd open to the same number is utterly ridiculous in my mind.

45min is pretty good for an awards film. a 3.6x multiplier means 160 to 170 is possible.

remember legs are a function of the opening weekend, which is large for this kind of movie.

Edited by Halba