Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Just got back from my showing and...

OH MY GOD. :circles:

This film is mind blowing. I'm really at a loss for words right now but I guess exhausting, exhilarating, transcendent, and mesmerizing might be a few that spring to mind, although they don't do it any justice. This film is such a revelation that 98% and a 9.1 average rating on RT are still not good enough for it. Gravity isn't a film it's simply an experience. Never before have I left a film feeling literally oxygen deprived because I realized I was holding my breath so damn much. :unsure: And this is so visually compelling that it redefines the way movies can be filmed. I'm just gonna stop myself otherwise I'll just keep fawning over this to no end, but please just put your entire life on hold and go see this as soon as humanely possible!

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

This film is mind blowing. I'm really at a loss for words right now but I guess exhausting, exhilarating, transcendent, and mesmerizing might be a few that spring to mind, although they don't do it any justice. This film is such a revelation that 98% and a 9.1 average rating on RT are still not good enough for it. Gravity isn't a film it's simply an experience. Never before have I left a film feeling literally oxygen deprived because I realized I was holding my breath so damn much. :unsure: And this is so visually compelling that it redefines the way movies can be filmed. I'm just gonna stop myself otherwise I'll just keep fawning over this to no end, but please just put your entire life on hold and go see this as soon as humanely possible!

Man, You just made my cry. :'D

Final sneaks/midnights for the LA area: 0 sellouts, 139 showtimes. Not surprising given its non-franchise, non-sequel/reboot/remake status. Figure a modest final number, my guess would maybe be a million.

notfabio is also reporting the same thing but presales are over-rated for a movie like this.

usual megaplex 81 gravity 5 runner 3 grace for tonight so far {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:41

advance sales gravity 41 runner 4 hunger games 80 {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:44

slower pace of advance sales for hunger games vs the first but still pretty good {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:45

What about gravity? What are your thoughts? Seems rather light, or is it way too early to speculate? {nm} Oleg Max on Oct 03, 20:51

Oblivion was pretty light and I would figure a similar core demo so inconclusive at this point {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:57

Real D is giving exhibitors a great deal if they program majority 3D performances this weekend {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:59

The hyperbolic premium ticket sales numbers press is what they want {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 21:00

do you have Oblivion #s by any chance handy? {nm} Oleg Max on Oct 03, 21:00

Probably less fanboy-ish and more WOM driven than most sci-if {nm} GMov on Oct 03, 22:44

Gravity is imax 3D heavy sales wise followed by 2D then Real D {nm} notfabio on Oct 03, 20:49

• Like 1

Do people who have seen this think it will have commercial appeal? Will idiot general audiences find something to enjoy in a film like this?

A lot of those who've seen it said this is much more of a thrilling ride than just a enjoyable movie. You don't get this kind of praise very often. Last time it happened on an original film, as I can remeber, is Avatar....

I think that's enough to call that general audience will fall in love with it. Legs should be very strong.

Holy shit...that was intense.  Just got back from seeing it down in San Diego in Imax 3D-well it's reallly a Liemax but it wa awesome.  I mean I rarely if ever am tensed up, like grabbing my armrest tense but there's definitely a few parts that I was just like "grab it, grab it, grab it!!!"  This movie is really what makes movies great-it's really an experience, almost a ride to space.  Will be seeing this a few times for sure...you gotta try to see this in an IMAX 3d or the biggest screen you can find in 3d-it's worth it just like Avatar was.  Big, big recommendation from me

Edited by holcs
  • Like 2

Exactly what MovieMan said. This film is a masterpiece. It outshines every BP winner from the past few years, and I foresee this becoming a classic and making the AFI top 100.

And, for the love of god, see this in 3D and IMAX if at all possible.

This film is amazing. And, let me tell you, I was a bit of sceptic despite the reviews. Curon has proven himself to be a master filmmaker with this film. If this were the only film he were to ever make, this film alone would make him be considered among the greatest directors ever.

Do people who have seen this think it will have commercial appeal? Will idiot general audiences find something to enjoy in a film like this?

I don't see anything stopping it from being a commercial success, in fact, almost everything is working exclusively in its favor.

Edited by Jake Gittes