Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

The deal is well done now that it is a success, no doubt.  But Bullock has never had a hit like this WW.  And it's not just box office she gets a percentage of, she gets it from HV as well.  Good for her, but that was a huge gamble for the studio.

So, no need to question if that report told the truth or not in the first place?

Edited by vc2002

I can't believe she asked for 20 mill and 15% of the gross and they fucking gave it to her.  I didn't think deals like that were still made unless it was for an established franchise.  That's an astonishing amount of money for an original film.  

The timing really couldn't be better there. They needed to start shooting ASAP, seemingly every other established actress in Hollywood couldn't do the part for this or other reason, and Bullock just won the Oscar for a $250 million domestic grosser several months earlier (as well as headlined another $300 million WW grosser). They must have been as desperate as they could be to cast her.

• Like 5

Any reason to doubt the report?  

15% of the first dollar gross seems very high and it seems to me that studios only agree on that kind of deal if the actor accepts a low upfront paycheck, or on a sequel which the actor plays a critical character. Sandra got a huge 20m upfront payment. WB must have been desperate as hell to agree to cut her another big-chunk percentage share. This is why I think that report is worth doubting.

Edited by vc2002

I can't believe she asked for 20 mill and 15% of the gross and they fucking gave it to her.  I didn't think deals like that were still made unless it was for an established franchise.  That's an astonishing amount of money for an original film.  

They did it because they desperately needed a major star for the role, and their options were starting to get pretty limited.

Just think about it. The film's budget was 100M, right? 20M to Bullock and that's 80M left. Take out whatever they paid Clooney (which is probably way less than Bullock) and let's say ... 70M? This movie was done with 70M.

Also, I think a deal like this went through because of her popularity. I still think most of the early attention the movie got was because of her, the rest of it was because of the quality. A well done deal, I'd say.

If you including R&D, the budget was waaaaaay over 100m.

They did it because they desperately needed a major star for the role, and their options were starting to get pretty limited. If you including R&D, the budget was waaaaaay over 100m.

R&D being...?

"Gravity" ties "Star Wars" with 7 Academy Awards for the the most ever for a science fiction film.  

Oh, so that's why Gravity didn't win Best Picture. It was an inside job to keep Star Wars on top, somehow.

• Like 2

I don't seem to comprehend how Gravity won 7 awards - including Director, Editing, and Cinematography - yet no Best Picture.

How many "Best..." awards can you give a movie without giving them the big one?  :D

Seriously though, they should have given 12 Years a Slave a couple more awards if they were going to give it Best Picture. I wanted Gravity to win Best Picture and Production Design, and Get a Horse to win Best Short. 

McConaughey killed it with his speech, Blanchett and Cuaron were solid, Leto annoyed me, Lupita was nice, loved both speeches for Frozen (Best Song and Best Animated Feature)

Christoph Beck should have been nominated for Best Score, Tom Hanks, Robert Redford and Emma Thompson should have been nominated.

Overall, an awkwardly amusing Oscars this year... made me miss MacFarlane though. 

I don't seem to comprehend how Gravity won 7 awards - including Director, Editing, and Cinematography - yet no Best Picture.

Plus Best Score and having the main actress nominated...but I will take it. It still feels like a true winner, even if it has to share the headlines with 12 Years.

How many "Best..." awards can you give a movie without giving them the big one?  :D

It's rare but it happens. In 1972 Godfather 3 oscars incl. BP, Cabaret 8 incl. BD

15% of the first dollar gross seems very high and it seems to me that studios only agree on that kind of deal if the actor accepts a low upfront paycheck, or on a sequel which the actor plays a critical character. Sandra got a huge 20m upfront payment. WB must have been desperate as hell to agree to cut her another big-chunk percentage share. This is why I think that report is worth doubting.

I doubt Warner Bros. was actually expecting Gravity to gross anything near 700M WW. They thought that 15% wouldn't be so much when the movie grossed 200M or so WW. They wanted to make the deal appealing, and including 15 freaking percent of what they thought would be nothing, made it appealing.

The % deals usually end not as big as this but when a film becomes a colossal hit it leads to a massive paycheck.

Gravity Over performed by like good 400 million or so. 

Marvel knew TA will be big but that easily almost doubled expectations WW.