Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Gravity is totally like last year's Life of Pi. BP is too much to ask for because of its not really preferred subject, but when it comes to BD, you don't find another director that brought more breakthrough on the table.

Still not convinced this movie is sci-fi in any meaningful sense, but if people think it is and it did well then we may get more from the genre so I ain't complaining.

It's a Sci-Fi THRILLER.  There are subgenre's in Sci-fi.  "Jurassic Park" and "Terminator" would be Sci-fI Action.  "Star Wars" would be Sci-Fi Action or Fantasy.  

Still not convinced this movie is sci-fi in any meaningful sense, but if people think it is and it did well then we may get more from the genre so I ain't complaining.

Well, it seems to me that it is definitely alternate history, and that usually gets grouped with sci-fi.

Plus it has technology that doesn't exist and is totally implausible given the actual orbits of Hubble and the Space Station.

Hence the alternate history. I don't think there was a Challenger disaster in Gravity-world. However, something being implausible does not make it science fiction. If a car blows up for no reason in an action movie, that does not make the film science fiction, just because it would never have happened in reality.
  • Like 2

Well, if a director who sweat blood and tears for 4 years to make one of the most complex films in the history of cinema says his movie has nothing to do with sci fi,, there is no argument left to have.

Well, if a director who sweat blood and tears for 4 years to make one of the most complex films in the history of cinema says his movie has nothing to do with sci fi,, there is no argument left to have.

Cuaron can think whatever he likes, but he's wrong.  :)

Here is what Cuaron said about Gravity being "Science Fiction" in an interview shortly after release. This is direct from Cuaron, so not second hand, not someone heard him say it, this is him being asked it point blank.

Q: Do you consider Gravity to be science fiction? 

A: That’s a strange thing because now I don’t know what science fiction is about. Science fiction has been so confused with fantasy. What I used to consider to be fantasy is now known as science fiction in many instances.

Gravity is science fiction in that it’s a fiction and we tried to include as much of a scientific element into everything surrounding the fiction. Some might say it’s not science fiction because it takes place in the present, not the future. It’s not inventing technology. From that perspective I don’t know if it fits into the modern idea of science fiction.

Science fiction lost its meaning. Everything that takes place in space gets called science fiction, but a lot of films that take place in space are actually fantasy. Or horror - I loveAlien, but it’s a horror film that happens to be set in space. The Cameron one, Aliens, is an action movie in space. I quite like Event Horizon - it’s not unlike Tarkovsky. But I don’t think that’s science fiction - it’s a haunted house, but they use a space ship.

Would I consider Marooned science fiction? Yes, it’s a film that’s a fiction that incorporates science as well.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

I wish people would learn the facts and know that Sci-fi doesn't require futuristic settings/technology. Cuaron said exactly what I've been saying in that interview about Gravity: the movie is fiction with a scientific element. Sci-fi.

Edited by MovieMan89

Huh, so genres can't overlap any more then? Sucks for action comedies, they'll all have to decide whether they're action films or comedies I guess.

Edited by raniE
  • Like 1

I wish people would learn the facts and know that Sci-fi doesn't require futuristic settings/technology. Cuaron said exactly what I've been saying in that interview about Gravity: the movie is fiction with a scientific element. Sci-fi.

Isn't that going to fit in stuff like the Nic Cage Gone in 60 seconds in science fiction as well?