Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

To see advance screening the website http://www.gofobo.com/movie/gravity_2013 you need to enter the rsvp code or click enter drawing to see the movie in advance. 

I heard that the Gofobo screening today ended up having people turned back again. They should seriously not keep Open screenings. Screenings which you need to RSVP for have much smaller crowds and everyone has a chance of getting in leading to good sentiments.

They didn't even offer a keychain or something to thank people for waiting in live for over 2 hours. Even "Olympus has Fallen" offered keychains  :P

I heard that the Gofobo screening today ended up having people turned back again. They should seriously not keep Open screenings. Screenings which you need to RSVP for have much smaller crowds and everyone has a chance of getting in leading to good sentiments.

They didn't even offer a keychain or something to thank people for waiting in live for over 2 hours. Even "Olympus has Fallen" offered keychains  :P

Is that how you almost got to go and got tickets for a later showing on?

Yup, a lot of pre-screening organizers feel pretty bad when they have to turn people back, so they try to get people into future screenings.

How often do you check the website? If i see a free public screening or if the code is out with in hour alll the seats all claimed and gofobo will not let me claim any tickets.

How often do you check the website? If i see a free public screening or if the code is out with in hour alll the seats all claimed and gofobo will not let me claim any tickets.

I never check Gofobo. I go to advancescreenings.com or this group http://www.txtmovieclub.com/group/californiaextrapasses where people post RSVP codes and latest screenings.

Peter Sciretta@slashfilm1h

Not to be hyperbolic, but Alfonso Cuarón's #Gravity may be the best film I've seen since starting /Film almost a decade ago.

Can't. Deal. With. This. Hype.

That's a bit hyperbolic. It has a mild stumble or two in terms of drama and/or character, very much rooted in classic Hollywood melodrama. However, as spectacle, it has no equal in recent memory. Don't expect any subtle, revealing character study, I guess. It's not science-fiction-as-metaphor, it's an action/thriller. :) Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

That's a bit hyperbolic. It has a mild stumble or two in terms of drama and/or character, very much rooted in classic Hollywood melodrama. However, as spectacle, it has no equal in recent memory. Don't expect any subtle, revealing character study, I guess. It's not science-fiction-as-metaphor, it's an action/thriller. :)

Have you seen Gravity already Tele?

Yes, I saw it this afternoon.

Well I've asked this question a couple times, but no answer...I love astronomy and I know theres no sound in space, and Rallax said all the sounds you hear in the trailer arent actually in the movie, so I assume hes seen it..is that true though? Is this basically a silent film when Sandra isnt huffing and screaming?

Edited by Twerkdrew

I heard someone describe it as Speed in space. Accurate description?

That's not entirely off-base. There's definitely the same sense of it being one giant extended action/thriller sequence that never fully lets up. 

Well I've asked this question a couple times, but no answer...I love astronomy and I know theres no sound in space, and Rallax said all the sounds you hear in the trailer arent actually in the movie, so I assume hes seen it..is that true though? Is this basically a silent film when Sandra isnt huffing and screaming?

Yes... and no. In terms of being scientifically accurate, absolutely: in the movie, you do not hear explosions or things zipping by or anything like that. However, the genius of the sound design is that you hear basically what the astronauts would pick up on their microphones; your body is a conduit for sound, to some degree. So when they're physically holding onto something metal (say, while unscrewing a panel to inspect a circuit board), you hear a dim, muffled version of that sound. But any event that happens in vacuum without any way for the sound waves to travel is silent. Both instances are used to great dramatic effect.

• Like 3

That's not entirely off-base. There's definitely the same sense of it being one giant extended action/thriller sequence that never fully lets up. 

Yes... and no. In terms of being scientifically accurate, absolutely: in the movie, you do not hear explosions or things zipping by or anything like that. However, the genius of the sound design is that you hear basically what the astronauts would pick up on their microphones; your body is a conduit for sound, to some degree. So when they're physically holding onto something metal (say, while unscrewing a panel to inspect a circuit board), you hear a dim, muffled version of that sound. But any event that happens in vacuum without any way for the sound waves to travel is silent. Both instances are used to great dramatic effect.

I figured any sound would be through their helmets/suits so that sounds great, and cool that theyre staying scientifically accurate. Very intrigued, comes out a day before my birthday so im excited. Thanks T.

btw, I noticed that WB has released several clips, there's an extended trailer, etc. If you haven't seen these.... DON'T WATCH THEM. This is a movie where your experience will be significantly heightened the less you've seen visually. And I know I mentioned it in passing easier, but find the biggest goddamn screen to see it on. This is a movie that will be one hellaciously awesome experience in IMAX.

• Like 1