filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

It's holding a bit better than Captain America 2 which is really good. I see it surpassing $270M. It'll have to have MAGNIFICENT drops from now on for it to have a fighting chance at $300M.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too. Good hold but not the outstanding hold a lot were hoping for. People were really underestimating the popularity of TMNT. I'm glad Guardians was able to do what it did in the face of the competition though some didn't think there would be any.

• Like 1

Is anyone else starting to lose faith in the tracking systems that are currently in place?  This is two weeks in a row that the top movie has been severely underestimated (Godzilla was another one this year, as were others).  So either the tracking has been way off... OR studios are starting to infiltrate the estimates with their own "studio-friendly" numbers.  Just think if GOTG had been tracking for $110 mil, the $94 mil would've been a black eye for Marvel; same with the $65 mil for TMNT - what if tracking was quoted in $90-mil OW range?  Now both are seen as smash hits, even though neither will come close to landing in, say, the Top 60 of all-time - no movie released this year so far will.

So has tracking become that unreliable, or is someone manipulating those numbers to make above-average-to-good openings look considerably better?

• Like 2

Best 10 day haul of the year if estimates hold up, its locked for 250m. Congrats on your club

Yep my club is pretty much locked up now.  :D It's dropping 55% compared to Cap 2 in April (58%) with similar legs to Cap 2 gets it to 275M+ and I'm expecting better legs so 300M isn't dead yet.

• Like 2

Too bad something like Storm or even GOU didn't open next weekend or the weekend after-one of them could have hit 20 without a major release. I forgot Let's Be Cops opens next week- it has a shocking amount of buzz among my friends. I could see a mini breakout, especially since tracking has proven not to matter at all. 

• Like 2

Of course you would say that.  But that's not what we commented on, is it.  We were discussing who would be right about the drop this weekend.  Must be hard for you to admit you were wrong.

lol, not really. You were right and I was wrong with the Friday jump.  :D

• Like 2

Is anyone else starting to lose faith in the tracking systems that are currently in place?  This is two weeks in a row that the top movie has been severely underestimated (Godzilla was another one this year, as were others).  So either the tracking has been way off... OR studios are starting to infiltrate the estimates with their own "studio-friendly" numbers.  Just think if GOTG had been tracking for $110 mil, the $94 mil would've been a black eye for Marvel; same with the $65 mil for TMNT - what if tracking was quoted in $90-mil OW range?  Now both are seen as smash hits, even though neither will come close to landing in, say, the Top 60 of all-time - no movie released this year so far will.

So has tracking become that unreliable, or is someone manipulating those numbers to make above-average-to-good openings look considerably better?

Tracking has never been reliable.  It's a guess based off a lot of factors that may or may not contribute to the box office.

• Like 4

I haven't really been paying attention to tracking. It's always been hit and miss. And its hard to track X factor movies like Guardians and TMNT.

• Like 1

10 Day Haul on par with Iron Man, with no more big openers for the next month it could arguably keep pace for it for a while. Iron Man had stiff competition from Narnia in its third weekend and Indianna Crystal Skull in its 4th week

Too bad something like Storm or even GOU didn't open next weekend or the weekend after-one of them could have hit 20 without a major release. I forgot Let's Be Cops opens next week- it has a shocking amount of buzz among my friends. I could see a mini breakout, especially since tracking has proven not to matter at all.

Yeh, isn't Lets Be Cops tracking at $8m? That would be awful.

And I was wrong about the viability of GOTG.  I under estimated the popularity of Marvel.  

• Like 2

Yep my club is pretty much locked up now.  :D It's dropping 55% compared to Cap 2 in April (58%) with similar legs to Cap 2 gets it to 275M+ and I'm expecting better legs so 300M isn't dead yet.

Always so optimistic druv10. Don't ever change. :)

• Like 1

And I was wrong about the viability of GOTG.  I under estimated the popularity of Marvel.  

This is awesome. I love you guys.

• Like 5

High end Tracking did have Turtles 45-50 Million.  But I see your point. 

• Like 1

When I make good calls, some of them can be really good.  

However, some of my bad calls have been legendary.  Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted and GOTG under 80 million are two of the worst ones.

• Like 1