filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

It's holding a bit better than Captain America 2 which is really good. I see it surpassing $270M. It'll have to have MAGNIFICENT drops from now on for it to have a fighting chance at $300M.

I think $300 million is a bit too much. Though I do think $270 million is a good prediction.

I'll say that it a 2.85x multiplier is the floor, which is $267.9 million. But if the weekdays are as strong as they have been, then it should go higher.

• Like 1

Always so optimistic druv10. Don't ever change. :)

It's not be optimistic in this case. GOTG burned off much more demand over the weekdays compared to Cap yet its' going easily out hold it over the weekend. Competition isn't going to be a problem plus with strong TC holds and Labor Day weekend boost, 300M still isn't dead yet but it'll need some really great holds. 

• Like 1

Is anyone else starting to lose faith in the tracking systems that are currently in place?  This is two weeks in a row that the top movie has been severely underestimated (Godzilla was another one this year, as were others).  So either the tracking has been way off... OR studios are starting to infiltrate the estimates with their own "studio-friendly" numbers.  Just think if GOTG had been tracking for $110 mil, the $94 mil would've been a black eye for Marvel; same with the $65 mil for TMNT - what if tracking was quoted in $90-mil OW range?  Now both are seen as smash hits, even though neither will come close to landing in, say, the Top 60 of all-time - no movie released this year so far will. So has tracking become that unreliable, or is someone manipulating those numbers to make above-average-to-good openings look considerably better?

Tracking schmacking. Just let the box office happen.
  • Like 6

Huge weekend! $65M+$43M+$18M+$11M! This August is on FIRE! Finally 2014 is making it interesting again! Next week will be big as well. DC care what yall say, I feel good things for LBC. And hopefully Turtles will have a decent 2nd weekend and great 3rd weekend for Guardians. August is still a dumping ground, for now, but this year studios brought their A games.

• Like 1

Nice to see Turtles succeed. GOTG has an expected drop. The Storm movie is doing ok. Step up? lol.Get on Up just collapsed completely.I'm here for Hercules numbers.

• Like 1

Damn Get on Up is playing like a Tyler Perry movie. It might not even cross $35M.

From what I've been reading around the net, target audience does not feel it's a true depiction of the Godfather of Soul.  Most people know the history of James Brown. Not like his life was a secret. The movie could be good but if its a watered down version of his life story then I can see why it was rejected. But I hear that the lead guy is great in the role though. But I guess its not enough.

Edited by ECSTASY

Huge weekend! $65M+$43M+$18M+$11M! This August is on FIRE! Finally 2014 is making it interesting again! Next week will be big as well. DC care what yall say, I feel good things for LBC. And hopefully Turtles will have a decent 2nd weekend and great 3rd weekend for Guardians. August is still a dumping ground, for now, but this year studios brought their A games.

Next weekend we might have 5 movies that make $20M+, might that be some sort of a record?

It's not be optimistic in this case. GOTG burned off much more demand over the weekdays compared to Cap yet its' going easily out hold it over the weekend. Competition isn't going to be a problem plus with strong TC holds and Labor Day weekend boost, 300M still isn't dead yet but it'll need some really great holds. 

I think it will handily beat Cap 2 but I do have my doubts about the $300m. That's where your optimism comes in. :lol: