filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Get On Up isn't even playing anywhere near me. It's an hour and a half drive to the nearest theater that has it... waiting for it to be on demand now :(

How can a theater drop a movie after 1 week? I thought there was a 2 week limit rule?Edit: nvm i thought you said its not playing near you "anymore" Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

I don't get the logic that if a Film with a Black Cast doesn't do well it's cause Blacks didn't show up.  Actually it's the opposite, the money these films made are mostly cause of Black Audiences.  The truth is sadly other races don't show up.  It should not be on Black People only to see Black Cast films.  I see White cast all the time and I'm black.  Why should the standard not be for everyone to see this Historical Black films? "Malcolm X" and "Rosewood" flopped cause honestly Whites skipped out on them.

I know racism in America is a terrible history to be reminded of but if we can get a ton of History movies about Presidents and other White figures than Black History should be supported too.  James Brown music appealed to all races.  It should not be on Black Audiences only to make "Get on Up" a hit.   I challenge other races to give Black Historical films a chance and learn about the horrors of America's past.  I thought "42" did very well for it's budget.   "12 Years" also did pretty good as well as a few others.  Again my final point is simple, A films success should not have to be determined only by 1 race.  When "Guardians" and "Turtles" broke out its' cause All Races supported them.  I understand Demographics and Yes a Black Cast film will appeal mostly to minorites and a white cast film will appeal to whites.  But "Bad Boys" and "Fast and Furious' were blockbuster with diverse cast that appealed to more than one group.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 6

I don't get the logic that if a Film with a Black Cast doesn't do well it's cause Blacks didn't show up.  Actually it's the opposite, the money these films made are mostly cause of Black Audiences.  The truth is sadly other races don't show up.  It should not be on Black People only to see Black Cast films.  I see White cast all the time and I'm black.  Why should the standard not be for everyone to see this Historical Black films? "Malcolm X" and "Rosewood" flopped cause honestly Whites skipped out on them.

I know racism in America is a terrible history to be reminded of but if we can get a ton of History movies about Presidents and other White figures than Black History should be supported too.  James Brown music appealed to all races.  It should not be on Black Audiences only to make "Get on Up" a hit.   I challenge other races to give Black Historical films a chance and learn about the horrors of America's past.  I thought "42" did very well for it's budget.   "12 Years" also did pretty good as well as a few others.  Again my final point is simple, A films success should not have to be determined only by 1 race.  When "Guardians" and "Turtles" broke out its' cause All Races supported them.  I understand Demographics and Yes a Black Cast film will appeal mostly to minorites and a white cast film will appeal to whites.  But "Bad Boys" and "Fast and Furious' were blockbuster with diverse cast that appealed to more than one group.

I love James Brown and I'm white, but whether it is the lack of marketing or lack of stars, the film looks uninteresting to me. I may catch it on video though.

• Like 4