CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

While I personally am on the side of Frozen 2 < $500m DOM, I would definitely love to see it play spoiler and be the number 2 movie of the year domestically. I know some people wouldn't consider that a spoiler but I would be thoroughly surprised to see it over TROS. 

At the end of the day I don't really care which movie it is, I just want to see amazing BO runs. 

• Like 4

I think Frozen 2 will surprise everyone as Incredibles 2 did last year. Frozen grew significantly after it ended its run. Hence why its legs and Blu-ray sales are insane. Just go sort Frozen videos of this year by view count. If it's as good as the trailer,  I think it can grow as much as 40% from its predecessor's adjusted gross. OtOH, it won't grow as much OS as it's very likely to drop in Japan. 

Edited by MeowwoeM

2 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

Shrek adjusts to 426m. Shrek 2 did 640m adjusted. 

Frozen adjusts to 441m. A sequel above 600m isn't hard to believe. 

Mind you I absolutely not saying it won't happen (I'm on the 1.5B+ train) but EG has ruined people's expectations for movies. If it does 560m domestic that will be absolutely incredible.

I'm all for it happening. Hoping for #3 movie of the year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Not sure if I have any I2 predictions down on paper, but I think I thought 500-650 was the range. Spent 14 years being one of the most anticipated sequels.

That was definitely not the range. Almost everyone thought Dory NA> I2 NA cuz Finding Nemo NA > The Incredibles NA. 

1 minute ago, MeowwoeM said:

That was definitely not the range. Almost everyone thought Dory NA> I2 NA cuz Finding Nemo NA > The Incredibles NA. 

I didn’t say “most people’s range.” I said my range. I, personally, was not particularly shocked by I2’s run since it was pretty close to what seemed reasonable to me well in advance.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

Frozen was Shrek 2, it skipped the cult hit stage of Shrek, it just exploded and peaked with one movie

There's not much room to grow, Frozen 2 should be compared to Shrek 3

Shrek 2 also had legs and huge DVD sales for its time, but Shrek 3 didn't outgross it

Like Shrek 3, I'm expecting F2 to have the biggest opening...but that's it

And I wish people would stop comparing this to I2, that had a 14 year build up of nostalgia and was the only Pixar movie where people actually demanded a sequel

Whereas before the trailers came out everyone was crapping on this franchise especially when that long Olaf short film got a lot of hate during Coco's run

Differ

4 minutes ago, Royce said:

Frozen was Shrek 2, it skipped the cult hit stage of Shrek, it just exploded and peaked with one movie

Shrek 2 also had legs and huge DVD sales for its time, but Shrek 3 didn't outgross it

And I wish people would stop comparing this to I2, that had a 14 year build up of nostalgia and was the only Pixar movie where people actually demanded a sequel

Whereas before the trailers came out everyone was crapping on this franchise especially when that long Olaf short film got a lot of hate during Coco's run

Difference is that Shrek 3 was hated (as shown by its legs). Frozen 2 looks like LotR shit! Im excited for it and I despise the first one. 

• Like 1

People were saying "Frozen fatigue! Overrated Frozen! Olaf short is horrible, franchise fatigue!"

Then some cute little trailers come and people are saying "$2B! $600M DOM!!!"

Ridiculous

People who even hated the first movie are now setting Frozen 2 up for disappointment SMH

Just like how y'all were so sure Toy Story 4 was a disappointment

and now it has the biggest opening of the franchise, biggest opening for animated films WW, about to pass TS3 domestic and possibly WW

Edited by Royce
posted out of anger
  • Knock It Off 3

1 minute ago, Royce said:

People were saying "Frozen fatigue! Overrated Frozen! Olaf short is horrible, franchise fatigue!"

Ridiculous

Bandwagoners who even hated the first movie are now setting Frozen 2 up for disappointment SMH

Just like how y'all were so sure Toy Story 4 was a disappointment "NO ONE WANTED THIS NO ONE AKED FOR IT LMAOOO CASH GRAB HEE HEE"

and now it has the biggest opening of the franchise, biggest opening for animated films WW, about to pass TS3 domestic and possibly WW

Bandwagoners

wait. Weren't you just saying that the first Frozen peaked popularity?

3 minutes ago, Royce said:

As someone who hated the Olaf Short AND is 100% on the 600M DOM bandwagon,

this is such a ridiculous statement.  The Olaf Short outrage was due to it being twenty-two minutes long since it was originally suppose to air on ABC as a Holiday Special.  It has zero place before Coco.  It was just dragging the running time down.  AND then they still AIRED IT on ABC.  

It didn't have anything to do with Frozen itself or the HYPE surrounding Frozen II

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Royce said:

Ridiculous

Wow.  Different people have different opinions.

Who'd thunk it.

8 minutes ago, Royce said:

Bandwagoners who even hated the first movie are now setting Frozen 2 up for disappointment SMH

Just like how y'all were so sure Toy Story 4 was a disappointment "NO ONE WANTED THIS NO ONE AKED FOR IT LMAOOO CASH GRAB HEE HEE OPENING WEEKEND BELOW EXPECTATIONS!!!!"

Bandwagoners

I'm trying to follow the logic here. Wouldn't the success of TS4 from a low OW point to a landscape where Frozen could take off?

As for this:

25 minutes ago, Royce said:

Some people have been loudly demanding a sequel to Frozen since approximately five seconds after Frozen took off.

I really am struggling to understand what your point here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

As someone who hated the Olaf Short AND is 100% on the 600M DOM bandwagon,

this is such a ridiculous statement.  The Olaf Short outrage was due to it being twenty-two minutes long since it was originally suppose to air on ABC as a Holiday Special.  It has zero place before Coco.  It was just dragging the running time down.  AND then they still AIRED IT on ABC.  

It didn't have anything to do with Frozen itself or the HYPE surrounding Frozen II

Also it spoke to the idea that Disney might have been scared of the box office prospects of a Pixar movie that wasn't full of white people.

Edited by cannastop

Also, I find the comparison to Shrek 3 odd as there is literally zero sign to any sort of Frozen backlash out there.  As @captainwondyful pointed out, the falderal over Olaf wasn't about Frozen, per se, but being in front of something unrelated.

But even if I granted that Olaf damaged the brand, and I don't, just where is the sign for the Frozen backlash that would signal a Shrek 2 to Shrek 3 drop.

I mean, let's talk about Shrek 2 for a second. I am one of the biggest proponents of taking user ratings with a grain of salt, but where exactly is the critical re-evaluation for Frozen?  Shrek 2's Audience Rating on RT is 69/100. Meanwhile. Frozen is 85/100.     

Okay, lol audience ratings. I'm right with you there.  But how do you explain how Frozen is one of THE biggest moneymakers for Disney?

I can see Frozen 2 being flat or  falling a bit, even if I don't think it will.  I've talked about how it could happen quite a bit (effing with nostalgia is dan-ger-ous).  But what I don't see is any sort of Frozen backlash out there right now.  Just the opposite.

And if one is going to point to LOUD NOISES on the INTERNET as proof that something isn't popular, then nothing would be as just about every last thing that gets enough attention to get cared about also gets enough people to piss and moan about how awful it all is.

After all, pissing and moaning about how awfully it is that some things are popular is one of the major drivers of internet traffic. :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Royce said:

"Frozen fatigue! Overrated Frozen! Olaf short is horrible, franchise fatigue!"

Comparing a filler to the main course is like comparing Ant-Man to Infinity War. They may be in the same realm but they aren't the same beast. 

• Like 3

I also know there's a danger in on YT analytics after Pika Pika, and to a degree TLK.

But let's look at TLK for a second.  Just on the main channel:

TLK (teaser): 1.3m upvotes

TLK (trailer): 693k  upvotes

That's a pretty harsh drop.  But whatever, still plenty of upvotes.

Now let's look at Frozen 2;

F2 (teaser): 852k upvotes

F2 (trailer): 807k upvotes

The full trailer has been out for four fewer months and has nearly caught up with the first teaser.  The trailer views of both are nearly identical (41m each).

I thought for a while that the drop in TLK's view count and like count was a warning sign that it wouldn't explode, and look at that.  While it's massively successful, not quite as much as it could.

Frozen 2, meanwhile is either holding steady or gaining in popularity given the time difference between the two trailers.

So with all of that in mind, again:  What Frozen backlash?

• Like 6