CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

On 6/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, Royce said:

Elsa will be forever alone and die a virgin just like the "Virgin Queen" Elizabeth I of England

Well, if nothing else this example from real life makes it plausible.  And who knows, maybe Elsa would inadvertently kill anyone she tried to procreate with (or worse).  No, I'm not trying to make her fear herself again, I'm just applying the old superhero explanation for never "getting it on" with normal humans. 🙂  It remains to be seen whether there are others with the same powers as Elsa, but I'm thinking no, she will remain unique, although there will be non-human beings who have different powers.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

To Me, Frozen is actually the hardest Disney movie to properly make a sequel to. It has a good beginning, a great middle and a fantastic end. It came entirely full circle. To me it's an absolute masterpiece. As a movie made for families and fans of Disney in general, it's a massive delight.

Nicely said, and I totally agree.

Now, a lot of Disney movies also follow the same path and got sequels to, but they all had tiny potential hooks to follow (I personally think sequels to Big Hero 6 and Zootopia are much more plausible). Frozen really didn't have one. They're going to use where she got her powers now I'm assuming, but I don't entirely think we necessarily need some massive backstory of why Elsa got her powers.

Right.  While I think the directors made the best possible choice in finally doing a road trip adventure, as Frozen was originally intended to be, rather than repeating what they did in any way, I think they made perhaps the worst possible choice in trying to explain the source of Elsa's powers.  I realize that a lot of people have wondered about this, but it's the kind of thing that is usually best left unexplained, especially given how her powers metaphorically represent traits that we are all born with.  Explaining why she has powers may dilute and/or complicate this metaphor unnecessarily, especially if they give her powers some kind of definite, predetermined purpose that she has to discover (I said "if").  I don't want Elsa to lose her near-universal relatability.  If it were up to me, I'd leave this stuff to fanfic writers to run wild with rather than give it a canonical answer.  "She was born with them" is good enough for any character unless the story requires more, and this one does not.

That said, I'm there day one due to my massive love of the original and the fact that the first teaser was jaw dropping and spectacular.

I'm vastly looking forward to the movie, but I'm also terrified it won't top or be equal to the original.

Part of me wishes I could agree, but I don't support forced sequels.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, cdsacken said:

Often Disney spends nothing on the sequel and it is crap. They look like they put a ton of effort into it. It also never made sense that she had powers and her sister didn't.

That was back (way back) when the parent Disney company had a different studio make non-canonical cash-grab sequels for cheap, farming the animation production out to TV studios.  On the other hand, this big-budget, canonical sequel is being made by the same directors and studio, WDAS, as the original movie, so yes, there is a huge difference, but it is still unfortunately something Disney forced them to do.  They are trying their best because their reputation is on the line, but it wasn't something they had ever considered originally, much less planned for.  Frozen was always intended as a standalone movie, and it sure looks the part.

As for Anna not having powers, there is nothing strange about this, as non-identical-twin siblings don't share all of the same traits.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:53 AM, danhtruong5 said:

Disney princess with superpower.... 

Disney typical princess X Superhero ?

Superheroes are still popular, I think.  Elsa can be both, and I think even the first movie might well have benefited some from this.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:53 AM, danhtruong5 said:

In the first movie, it didn't concentrate much on power of Elsa (origin, source,...)

Frozen 2 seems to concentrate on that. 

Does it appeal to people?

Not to me, but in general I would have to say yes, as it seems that a great many people have wondered out loud about where Elsa's powers came from.  I'm completely satisfied to leave them a mystery and something she was simply born with, and think that exploring this is a mistake in terms of story, but I think for the public this is one of the more intriguing stories they could tell with this franchise.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, catlover said:

I never thought Disney would Endgame the marketing with these teasers/trailers. But hey it works for me. It made me go from "I loved the first movie but I don't need a sequel" when they announced it, to "GIVE ME FROZEN II NOOOW!!".

I haven't changed my position one bit--I don't like WDAS making sequels, and I really don't like when they're forced to.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, Krissykins said:

Still don’t really get what the story is. This was another teaser, a bit of a light show. 

You'll have to watch the movie to find out--that's a great advertising strategy as long as people are actually intrigued, and clearly they are.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, Krissykins said:

They need another song which hits the same level as Let It Go did. 

No, that song drove many people crazy for some reason (don't ask me why, as I think it's a great song) and created a huge backlash and a lot of ill-will toward the original movie.  I'm not sure whether it going "viral" like that helped or hurt more at the box office overall, but Frozen had many other characteristics that I think would have ensured that it became a huge hit regardless.  The sequel doesn't need such a song any more than the original did, or other movies need any original songs at all.  What it needs is solid songs that support the story (not that "Let It Go" didn't--it did) without driving millions of people--many of whom have never even seen the movie--up the wall.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, gadd said:

The trailers for Disney Animation movies don't tend to show much of the story, which I really admire. It was great to walk into Frozen, Zootopia and Moana for example not knowing what the crux of their story was and being blown away by the emotional depth and spectacle they boasted. On the other hand, I'm often frustrated with their marketing campaigns because they rely too heavily on comedic moments or humorous side characters which don't do justice to the scale of the films themselves. That's why I'm so thrilled with how Frozen II is shaping up - as usual they're not showing much of the story, but they're actually giving people of all ages reasons to be invested instead of just pandering to the kids with slapstick comedy or seemingly goofy characters.

Frozen II's advertising style is a double-edged sword.  Lately Disney has had great success in underselling WDAS' movies, and this is almost certainly one reason (but not the only one) they have the strongest box office legs of any of Disney's studios (including Pixar).  The original Frozen is the best of the best in this regard for its era, and except for its not-all-that-widely-viewed third trailer, it was grossly undersold.  Audiences were intrigued enough to come in decent numbers on OW anyway, didn't know what to expect, had kind of iffy-low expectations, and were blown away by the movie, resulting in massive WOM advertising and amazing endurance.

What I wonder is why the advertising style has changed so dramatically for Frozen II.  If the movie is so great that this is what they consider underselling, then I guess we have nothing to worry about, but even then they could be underselling it much harder.  I think they feel that they have to overcome the heavy backlash (haven't seen so much since Titanic, which likewise had a viral song) that the franchise has received, as well as the childish, throwaway impression that the lighthearted short films have given much of the public.  Many people now consider Frozen a lightweight, happy-happy-joy-joy movie geared specifically toward younger children and toddlers only.  I kid you not, as I hear and read this all the time.  Accordingly, most people would dismiss the sequel if it were undersold, and a weak OW domestic gross would create bad press.  As a result, Disney seems to be going all out for the big OW, which is really weird for modern-era WDAS, and definitely a risk.  If the movie, on the whole, is supposedly not as "impressive" in certain ways as the trailers implied, then the movie could sink like a stone.

Risk is unavoidable, but this is still interesting to think about.  On the upside, concerning box office, if Frozen II opens extra-big and still manages to have average or better WDAS legs, then it's going to be a monster.  On the other hand, if it opens on the weak side, like WDAS movies tend to do in comparison to other tent pole blockbusters, and disappoints because, GASP!, it has some comedy, then it could underperform relative to expectations.

20 hours ago, tupek said:

Story-wise, Frozen 1 is not that great

I think the original Frozen's story is the best WDAS have come up with this millennium, so there!

• Like 1

Has anyone made a Frozen2 DOM > TS4 club? Or is it already given?

I'm liking the facial expressuons of Anna in the trailers. So excited to see this since DWA hasn't failed for a long time now.

Edited by Bordlove

12 minutes ago, Bordlove said:

I'm liking the facial expressuons of Anna in the trailers. So excited to see this since DWA hasn't failed for a long time now.

You could probably make that club.

I thought DWA referred to DreamWorks.

6 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

Right.  While I think the directors made the best possible choice in finally doing a road trip adventure, as Frozen was originally intended to be, rather than repeating what they did in any way, I think they made perhaps the worst possible choice in trying to explain the source of Elsa's powers.  I realize that a lot of people have wondered about this, but it's the kind of thing that is usually best left unexplained, especially given how her powers metaphorically represent traits that we are all born with.  Explaining why she has powers may dilute and/or complicate this metaphor unnecessarily, especially if they give her powers some kind of definite, predetermined purpose that she has to discover (I said "if").  I don't want Elsa to lose her near-universal relatability.  If it were up to me, I'd leave this stuff to fanfic writers to run wild with rather than give it a canonical answer.  "She was born with them" is good enough for any character unless the story requires more, and this one does not.

Fun fact, a few years ago before they planned to make Frozen 2 Jennifer Lee did reveal why Elsa was given powers—she was born during a planetary alignment on the winter solstice. I'm not sure if they'll retcon it in the sequel, but that was the explanation. That's also one reason why I think Anna is going to get powers in the sequel (well, that and the fact that Anna has leaves swirling around her in a sticker sheet that was released), because she was born on the summer solstice.

6 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

I haven't changed my position one bit--I don't like WDAS making sequels, and I really don't like when they're forced to.

In this case, they weren't forced to. Jennifer Lee said initially they weren't going to make a sequel, but her and Chris Buck were discussing Frozen one day, realized "Wait a minute, that's the avenue we haven't explored yet" and then got the idea for the sequel. I hate forced sequels as well, but by the sound of it this sequel came out through them just realizing there was more they wanted to tell with these characters, rather than Disney forcefully mandating it as was probably the case for Cars 2 and such.

7 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

No, that song drove many people crazy for some reason (don't ask me why, as I think it's a great song) and created a huge backlash and a lot of ill-will toward the original movie.  I'm not sure whether it going "viral" like that helped or hurt more at the box office overall, but Frozen had many other characteristics that I think would have ensured that it became a huge hit regardless.  The sequel doesn't need such a song any more than the original did, or other movies need any original songs at all.  What it needs is solid songs that support the story (not that "Let It Go" didn't--it did) without driving millions of people--many of whom have never even seen the movie--up the wall.

The reason LiG drove so many people crazy is because it was overplayed to many people. It was on the radio, there were covers, people were singing it everywhere, heck, Good Morning America even had a live Let It Go sing-along. People for some baffling reason tend to hate on things just because they're popular (I guess they think it makes them "cool" or something). They didn't have a problem with "Let It Go" as a song, just that it was overplayed, similar to My Heart Will Go On reportedly was with Titanic.

Into the Unknown or some other song in the movie (presumably whichever one they release on Youtube before the film releases like with LiG if it's a good enough song) will probably get backlash the same way if/when it gets overplayed as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Melvin Frohike said:

I think the original Frozen's story is the best WDAS have come up with this millennium, so there!

Thats a pretty low bar for recent Disney movies, then...

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Frozens is pretty much Disney's 2010 equivalent of say Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. 

They've released plenty of other good films before and since in the 2010s, but you see more people talk about Frozen still.

That's partly because Frozen fits in with their marketing paradigm better than Big Hero 6 or Zootopia.

11 hours ago, Bordlove said:

Would think Frozen II DOM > TLK DOM meets it by implication:

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Brb with my TS4>F2>TLk club.

770111.gif

Spoiler

There is a zero percent chance of me joining (I'll all aboard the Frozen II Hype Train, but I'd be curious to see how many people, if any, actually joined.

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Frozens is pretty much Disney's 2010 equivalent of say Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. 

They've released plenty of other good films before and since in the 2010s, but you see more people talk about Frozen still.

Yes,it was Frozen mania among children in a way that I've never seen for other films. 

21 hours ago, Rorschach said:

A Disney Princess team-up movie would probably be the film to dethrone Avatar at the worldwide box office methinks.

It's the kind of film that would fail in the antagonist department. 

2 minutes ago, Noah said:

It's the kind of film that would fail in the antagonist department. 

Not if they got some sort of super-billain who potentially resurrected magically-enhanced clones of the villains like Queen Grimhilde, Mother Gothel, Lady Tremaine... maybe even featuring Chernabog.