CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

I think the best idea for the villain in a Disney Princess movie is . . . .Princess Eilonwy from the Black Cauldron if they go the slightly meta route. Have her insanely jealous for not being one of the big princesses.

But don't show it's her outright, make it the big reveal towards the end of the movie.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, tupek said:

Thats a pretty low bar for recent Disney movies, then...

Says you.  That's certainly not what I said or meant.  I think the relatively recent Disney animated features starting with Bolt have all been great, but among them Frozen is a cut above the rest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melvin Frohike said:

Says you.  That's certainly not what I said or meant.  I think the relatively recent Disney animated features starting with Bolt have all been great, but among them Frozen is a cut above the rest.

Frozen has two or three memorable characters and good songs, but narrative-story-wise it's nothing we haven't seen before, but that is not only a Disney thing

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

WDAS 07-18 ranking:

1.) Zootopia

2.) Winnie The Pooh

3.) Tangled

4.) Wreck It Ralph

5.) Moana

6.) The Princess and The Frog

7.) Bolt

8.) Meet The Robinsons

9.) Ralph Breaks The Internet

10.) Big Hero 6

11.) Frozen

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • ...wtf 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, The Futurist said:

Is Ripley a Disney princess now ?

Short answer:
No.

Long, rambling, meandering, pedantic answer:
Absolutely not!  What a Disney princess is should not be such a hard thing to pin down.  WDAS is the original studio Walt and Roy Disney founded when they arrived in Los Angeles, and this tradition of Disney princesses (a subset of Disney heroines) is, traditionally and in a creative sense, intrinsically linked to this animation studio.  The parent Disney company has long since gone off and become a faceless conglomerate holding company like Berkshire Hathaway, but WDAS survives as a studio today, carrying much of Disney history from back in Walt's time with it.  Disney princesses are princess characters that WDAS created, exclusively.  It can be this simple.

People can and have tried to define them differently, but it can get awfully complicated and pretty random when they use things like the roster of Disney Consumer Products' Disney Princess™ merchandise licensing franchise as a source or reference.  DCP's job is to sell as much merchandise as possible, not to come up with a high-minded, intellectual, philosophical reason for including or excluding various characters they peddle merchandise for.  Yet this is what many people go by--absolutely swear by as supposedly "official"--and therefore I guess Elsa, Anna, Moana, and several other WDAS princess characters supposedly are not Disney princesses, while Merida from Pixar--a whole other studio--somehow is.  Yeah, right....

Legal ownership by the Disney holding company is another common justification used by some people, but it is merely an excuse to label and put together characters that have no history or continuity behind their association.  In my view, characters created by entities other than WDAS have nothing to do with Disney princesses aside from ownership at best, so why should they be lumped in with them?  Back to Ripley, is she even a princess at all?  No, so how does any of this even apply to her to begin with?  Where is the sense in any of this?  People are free to define things as they like, but usually the least complicated answer is the truest one.

By the way, I am so glad that WDAS, in Ralph Breaks the Internet, pointed out the weirdness of Merida being widely considered a Disney princess.  The latter was never their doing, and Leia from Lucasfilm and Anastasia from Fox Animation being Disney princesses would be even weirder to them (and me).

2 hours ago, tupek said:

Frozen has two or three memorable characters and good songs, but narrative-story-wise it's nothing we haven't seen before, but that is not only a Disney thing

On the contrary, Frozen's narrative with all of those twists is very different from anything we've seen before, and I think that a major reason for its massive success at the box office was that the general public enjoyed how it surprised them by subverting what WDAS normally do in such movies.

Obviously we have very different views of the same movie, but the real point of my response was to clarify what I originally said after you misrepresented it.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 3