CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

On 7/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, KP1025 said:

I like your spirit, but that is far too high a milestone for me. Frozen still holds the animation record at $1.28 billion, and no other animated film besides Incredibles 2 has ever gotten close to it.

Does it stand to reason at all that only Frozen II could actually surpass said record still held by the original movie?  One animated sequel of an original animated feature that grossed much less almost did.  Ah, but that one had superheroes, and superheroes are still hot right now.  The only thing that could beat that sequel and the original Frozen would be a movie with a Disney princess who also happens to be a superpowered superhero.  Say, WDAS should make a movie like that, but I doubt they're smart enough. ;)

Considering the phenomenon nature of the first film, I don't think it's possible to see that kind of growth.

Domestically, I thought that Frozen underperformed for such a phenomenon.  I still see numerous people who are proud that they've never seen the original movie (as a result of the severe backlash).  Did Frozen do as well as it did at the domestic box office only because it became such a cultural phenomenon, in spite of it, or some of both?

By the way, I have also seen a bunch of these people (here and there online in large venues such as YouTube) become interested because of the sequel's trailers; some of them even finally watched the original movie, and the response has generally been positive in such cases.  The sequel's trailers are apparently helping the franchise as a whole shake off some of the backlash and stigma against it.

It would have to meet most of the following conditions to succeed:

-Break the November OW record domestically and have great holiday legs (4+ multiplier)

A 4+ OW multiplier is nothing for a WDAS movie.  OK, this one might open extra-big, but the original had a 6 multiplier.

-Be as big as Toy Story 4 in Latin America

Frozen underperformed in Latin America for some reason, leaving room for growth in a region that if I remember correctly tends to favor animated sequels growing, in general.

-Break Zootopia's record for animated films in China

I don't know if it can do that, but the original's run in China seemed to be leggy when it was abruptly cut short.  I doubt this will happen to the sequel, and I expect it to grow significantly in China, in any case.

-Stay flat in Japan. Very tall order considering Japan grossed an insane $250 million for the first film

I can't see that happening, but China could potentially more than make up for this.

-Big increase across the board in Europe and Australia, where Frozen wasn't comparatively big

Well, that leaves plenty of room for growth, then, and in Europe animated sequels commonly seem to grow from the originals.  You can't have it both ways--Frozen II dropping or not growing much whether Frozen did super-well in a particular region or not.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, keysersoze123 said:

If everything goes good and it has a song as big a hit as Let it go then 1.5B could happen. But beating 1st movie itself wont be easy.

It almost certainly will not have a song as viral as "Let It Go" (such songs are few and far between), but would this really be a net negative?  Many people think that Frozen has too many songs, and therefore feels forced in this respect.  Imagine trading half of the songs (keeping only the strongest, most essential and relevant ones) and replacing them with action scenes.  I bet there will be a sizable net gain, and hopefully no undeserved backlash from a song going viral this time.  Now imagine Frozen II having an ad campaign that highly impresses the public while showing us nearly nothing.  Imagine the story being really surprising once again (I know it's nothing like what most people expect right now, at least), and the action and drama (that people have responded so positively to) being way more intense than what we've been shown so far (at times).  Some of this we don't have to imagine, and the rest is not hard to imagine.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Melvin Frohike said:

Domestically, I thought that Frozen underperformed for such a phenomenon.  I still see numerous people who are proud that they've never seen the original movie (as a result of the severe backlash).  Did Frozen do as well as it did at the domestic box office only because it became such a cultural phenomenon, in spite of it, or some of both?

By the way, I have also seen a bunch of these people (here and there online in large venues such as YouTube) become interested because of the sequel's trailers; some of them even finally watched the original movie, and the response has generally been positive in such cases.  The sequel's trailers are apparently helping the franchise as a whole shake off some of the backlash and stigma against it.

Frozen underperformed in Latin America for some reason, leaving room for growth in a region that if I remember correctly tends to favor animated sequels growing, in general.

To sum it up: people see Frozen as a "little girls' movie"

US and Latin American culture highly emphasize masculinity and this is a movie about not one but two Disney Princesses and "love"

By far the "girliest" movie in the top 50 highest grossing of all time list

Things loved by young girls usually face backlash and people are proud to hate on them: Titanic, Twilight, Justin Bieber, Frozen

It is what it is, humans hate femininity

Frozen 2's trailers are all action-oriented and darker colors, darker tone, no singing and romance, more masculine

If Elsa and Anna were men, Frozen 1 would've done Incredibles 2 numbers DOM

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, frozenheart1993 said:

A friend of China who is engaged in film import review said that he has seen the whole film. Disney’s last such a bad work is Chicken Little.

So he thinks the film is trash? 

I don't usually put much stock in hearsay, but here's another unverified early reaction. Some spoilers about ending in tag.

Some lucky guy got to see a test screening of Frozen 2. And he said that he loved it very much. Not surprised. The team worked really hard on it for six years.

Spoiler

And what makes it better, it's got a very terrific ending. And it's based on Ozma of Oz, Chris Buck said. That ends with Ozma, Dorothy and friends returning to Oz for a celebration. So Frozen 2 will end with Elsa, Anna and others returning to Arendelle for a celebration.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:43 AM, justvision said:

Only 2 movies will make more than 2B WW this year: Endgame and Frozen 2.

Only 3 movies will make more than 650M dom this year: Endgame, Frozen 2 and TROS.

yeah I guess that's a cool fantasy.

How much do you think it will do in Japan? South Korea?

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

yeah I guess that's a cool fantasy.

How much do you think it will do in Japan? South Korea?

It can do at least 80% of what Frozen did in Japan, and 70% of Aladdin (live action, 2019) is doing so far in Korea.

This surely is not hard data supported predictions, but neither is it a fantasy. A little bit of optimistic gut feeling should I say.

Edited by justvision