CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Wow small world. I'm looking at going there lol.

It's good. Both PacSci and Cinerama are exemplary theater experiences, especially since PacSci seems to do 3D a lot less, now. It's a pity they got rid of their 15/70 projector, but the laser is still nice. And both tend to get animation pretty rarely, so I try to catch those if I can. I think both are going to have Frozen 2 for a fair bit, though, until Star Wars opens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

It's good. Both PacSci and Cinerama are exemplary theater experiences, especially since PacSci seems to do 3D a lot less, now. It's a pity they got rid of their 15/70 projector, but the laser is still nice. And both tend to get animation pretty rarely, so I try to catch those if I can. I think both are going to have Frozen 2 for a fair bit, though, until Star Wars opens.

That's a shame; seeing The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises on that format there were two of the most technically impressive theatrical experiences I've ever had. Then again, PacSci is such an outstanding venue that I can't imagine a movie not looking mightily impressive there. (Still haven't found the time to venture over to Cinerama on any of my Seattle excursions, though.)

In an age where just about every big movie runs in IMAX, I keep forgetting that Frozen didn't get IMAX screens when it first opened (thanks to Catching Fire). It would have been impressive on a giant display, so I'm sure the sequel will look great there too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Since this is topping off this decade of WDAS films I might do a rewatch of all of them starting with Tangled. Great decade for them though considering the trouble the studio was in back in the early 2000s. Think they overall beat Pixar for quality this decade.

It really has been a great turnaround for them. There's not a single film of the bunch here that I didn't enjoy. My least favourite of the bunch here is probably Winnie the Pooh, but I still enjoyed that more than a good chunk of what Pixar had this decade (not that Pixar had a bad run this decade - most of it was fine, but 2010s Pixar definitely hasn't been consistently great in the same way as 2000s Pixar or 2010s WDAS).

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

That's a shame; seeing The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises on that format there were two of the most technically impressive theatrical experiences I've ever had. Then again, PacSci is such an outstanding venue that I can't imagine a movie not looking mightily impressive there. (Still haven't found the time to venture over to Cinerama on any of my Seattle excursions, though.)

The last film to have a 15/70 release was Interstellar. They closed the theater for about three or four months to upgrade in time for the opening of AOU. Part of that was switching the projector to IMAX laser. Which is still really good. (Cinerama uses a Christie 6P laser.)

I saw Interstellar 1 & ⅔s times there. The first time there was a fire alarm that went off right. as. everything. was. about. to. happen. (It was just before they "took a walk".) Since they couldn't get it sorted, they refunded us and gave us free tix for another show.

I kinda wish they'd have kept it around, if only for Nolan. Cinerama showed Dunkirk in 70mm, which was cool, but it wasn't quite the same as the full IMAX.

3 hours ago, Webslinger said:

In an age where just about every big movie runs in IMAX, I keep forgetting that Frozen didn't get IMAX screens when it first opened (thanks to Catching Fire). It would have been impressive on a giant display, so I'm sure the sequel will look great there too.

Frozen would have been cool, but it was also the final pre-Hyperion film, so it probably wouldn't look as good as newer features. Zootopia was fantastic there, though.

21 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I saw Frozen in iMAX near the end of its theatrical run.  It was very impressive and pretty emotional, even though I had already seen it twice.  I probably should have sat a little further from the screen, because it was a little overwhelming.

Edited by OffTheHizzle

On 11/5/2019 at 6:14 PM, misafeco said:

2020 is still the same decade, isn't it? Between 2011-2019 WDAS has a better average than Pixar in my opinion as well. Of the 10 Pixar movies only Inside Out (and maybe Coco) is up there with the classics of the 90s and 2000s. Having so many unnecessary sequels didn't help them either. Meanwhile Disney animation was pretty consistent, maybe not on the level of the golden era of the 90s but that's impossible to top.

This decade was better than the Renaissance overall. Sure, most aren't BatB/TLK masterpiece tier, but almost all of these movies beat the post TLK renaissance excluding Mulan. And Moana is BatB/TLK level. 

Edited by MovieMan89

41 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

The fact that Frozen 2 could possibly open at 200M, and for an animated movie, is insane. That's like some Avengers or Star Wars numbers at the box office.

200M would be crazy good, but here are the OW ranks for all Avengers and Skywalker movies opening Friday:

TA #1

Ultron #2 (behind TA

IW #1

Endgame #1

ANH #1 (11th wknd)

ESB #2 (5th wknd)

ROTJ #1

TFA #1

TLJ #2 (behind TFA

A 200M OW nowadays is good for #7

• Like 2

From the Disney Renaissance films, I love Mulan and Tarzan the most by far. I really like Aladdin, TLK, and BaTB. Little Mermaid is good/decent. 

I'd easily argue that this decade was better than the Renaissance. I absolutely love Zootopia, Frozen, Tangled, and Moana. WiR was a massive surprise for me. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. Big Hero 6 was mediocre and completely forgettable, but everything else they have been on damn point. Hopefully Frozen 2 ends the decade on a bang.