CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

17 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I never bothered to see it, although I want to now, but how come Moana did far less than Frozen at the box office? When reviews were even better? Didn't capture young girls hearts like Frozen did? I am rewatching Frozen, and damn this is a great movie. I love the little details in the movie, like showing Anna and Elsa have faults/ supposed "oddities" despite being princesses. 

cause of racism duh. Moana is POC.

38 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

What are you implying? 

As for Elsa I'm eager to see how her story evolved, lesbian or not. 

22 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

What are you implying? 

As for Elsa I'm eager to see how her story evolved, lesbian or not. 

Agreed on the Elsa part, I don't mind either way. 😁

Implication wise, I'm just saying that there was the whole "Give Elsa a girlfriend" campaign that went on for years, and then the director had to confirm that it basically isn't going to happen.

I remember several months back, my friend and I discussed about the whole thing and we were both mixed on it. We stated that it would be great, but also imagined how much backlash (both positive and negative) the movie would get. Of course, it would be if it were explicitly stated and being front in center rather than a subtle and/or hinted manner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StarWarsMemer said:

For $2B, it would need to do TLK numbers outside NA, China, SK, and Japan ($900M), $600M domestically, and $500M China, SK, and Japan combined.

Okay, wow. That would be insane. Honestly it would be cool if F2 became the first animated movie to do 2B, but I don't think it'll happen. Then again, it's 2019 and we've already had so many unexpected moments at the BO this year.

Let me see how I can compare this to The Lion King (2019):

Domestic: 543M (Current Total)

Overseas: 1.11B (With China), 991M (Without China)

Biggest International Markets: UK (93M), France (80M), Brazil (69M)

Combined Gross of Japan, China, and SK: 217M

Japan Gross: 62M

China Gross: 120M

SK Gross: 35M

I agree with The Lion King numbers in terms of the international market. But I think it's going to need to do at least Aladdin numbers in both Japan and SK.

Aladdin did 89M in SK and 112M in Japan. It only did 53M in China, but combine all three and it made 254M. F2 would need to do 246M more than Aladdin's combined totals in order to hit that number.

1 hour ago, Xftg123 said:

Okay, wow. That would be insane. Honestly it would be cool if F2 became the first animated movie to do 2B, but I don't think it'll happen. Then again, it's 2019 and we've already had so many unexpected moments at the BO this year.

Let me see how I can compare this to The Lion King (2019):

I agree with The Lion King numbers in terms of the international market. But I think it's going to need to do at least Aladdin numbers in both Japan and SK.

Aladdin did 89M in SK and 112M in Japan. It only did 53M in China, but combine all three and it made 254M. F2 would need to do 246M more than Aladdin's combined totals in order to hit that number.

Frozen at its peak was #5 worldwide. #5 worldwide right now is Infinity War with $2.05B. The Lion King (1995) was #2. Aladdin, Findng Nemo, andToy Story 3 were probably top 7. Animated movies can make a lot relative to other movies from their time period but it's just there has been a HUGE juggernaut this couple of years (minus TLK), and I don't think there will be in the next 5 years~ because Pixar and WDAS will focus on original movies. 

Edit: TS3 peaked at #4 behind Avatar, Titanic, and Return of the King only. Yeah, Frozen 2 will make a lot.

Edited by StarWarsMemer
  • Like 1

2B is out of the question, for me 1.5B is unlikely as reception is just good.

1.3-1.45B or something like that.

1.45B would be awesome sauce still. Hoping I'm wrong and it does 650M domestic and 900M OS

Edited by cdsacken

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/making-frozen-2-disneys-team-on-how-they-approached-the-story-design-and-animation-182313.html

Kristen Bell, who voices Anna, singles out another aspect of the film’s characterization. As she tells The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon:

"The thing I think I’m proudest of [is] the way that they represented Kristoff. In the first one, it’s like two females, it’s great. But in the second movie Kristoff has a song that is going to blow your mind … it’s about his big feelings for Anna. Little boys don’t often see representation of other boys having really big loving feelings."

Semi spoilers.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

2B is out of the question, for me 1.5B is unlikely as reception is just good.

1.3-1.45B or something like that.

1.45B would be awesome sauce still. Hoping I'm wrong and it does 650M domestic and 900M OS

I can see the OS number but not DOM.

$500m dom $900m OS.

For what it's worth, @keysersoze123 has upped his stance to $150M plus on OW. I know some folks were speculating about an Incredibles 2-like OW but you have to remember - and this has been discussed in the tracking thread - that with Thanksgiving week right after this weekend a lot of people aren't necessarily buying their tickets for opening weekend. A lot of families are content to see it Wednesday/Thursday or the following weekend. Looking at it this way, for this to still do $150M+ on OW would be pretty freaking telling! If it was a normal weekend then you're looking at an OW close to $200M I'd bet.

• Like 1