CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

emma-story_647_033117022944.jpg

1.264 billion USD

That was a remake of one of the most beloved animated films of all time, plus it had Emma Watson (I love Emma ordinarily but they should have cast someone who's a trained singer), plus a few new songs. It was guaranteed to do big numbers.

7 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

That was a remake of one of the most beloved animated films of all time, plus it had Emma Watson (I love Emma ordinarily but they should have cast someone who's a trained singer), plus a few new songs. It was guaranteed to do big numbers.

Well yes, Disney princess is a giant affair, with the biggest entry going over a billion and the more middle of the road still doing 500M plus.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Princess and the Frog didn't do well because it was a traditonal animation and that style was going out of fashion. That's the biggest reason. It came out at the time when Pixar became a dominant force in animation and that changed people's tastes. 

As with any movie there isn’t really any one reason why a movie didn’t perform well at the box office...

Though Princess and the Frog also got handed a horrible release date by Disney - scheduling it after Thanksgiving - then a horrible snow storm impacted its 2nd weekend - followed by having the Christmas family audience consumed by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I think time has been well to the movie’s soundtrack, though it was underwhelming back in 2009. The lack of the 90’s Alan Menkin showed and audiences were starving for another ‘Part of Your World’ showstopper Disney ballad that ‘Almost There’ did not provide. (Audiences would have to wait for Frozen and ‘Let it Go’ for that)

Disney also freaked out (perhaps they were right?) that the movie was too ‘girls’ centric with Princess right there in the title - quickly changing the title of Rapunzel Unbraided to Tangled and The Snow Queen to Frozen. I guess the box office increases of Tangled and Frozen shows the mind-trick worked?

Out of these reasons and perhaps more- I think the fact that it was a ‘throwback’ with 2D animation at the time was a factor that mattered less to the film’s box office.

Edited by NYer4Life
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm sure Tangled 2 would gross more than $1B, Tangled 1's popularity kinda boomed well after the end of its BO run.

But we're not getting it, I know.

Check out the Tangled TV show on Disney Channel or Disney+.

At first I blew the series off as filler fluff. But the show has proven to be really good! Great fleshed out characters with an over-arching series plot that does a great job building upon the universe the first movie created.

Some of the songs in the show are also fantastic and would stand tall against any theatrical Disney musical.

If that’s the only ‘Tangled 2’ we ever see I think you’d be satisfied.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

Check out the Tangled TV show on Disney Channel or Disney+.

At first I blew the series off as filler fluff. But the show has proven to be really good! Great fleshed out characters with an over-arching series plot that does a great job building upon the universe the first movie created.

Some of the songs in the show are also fantastic and would stand tall against any theatrical Disney musical.

If that’s the only ‘Tangled 2’ we ever see I think you’d be satisfied.

I saw the first episodes actually, it's really good! It's also why I said "we're not getting it" but it wasn't an attack agaisnt the TV show :). I was expecting to see the rest but when I heard of Disney+ I knew it was comng there so I waited to see everything with this streaming service :)

Now I just need to wait until March 2020 ^^"

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

I think the fact that it was a ‘throwback’ with 2D animation at the time was a factor that mattered less to the film’s box office.

It must have been quite the factor:

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/production-method/Hand-Animation

Not sure any 2D style reached 300M after the big year of Monster Inc, & Shreck

The gap between Frozen and other princess movie/brand is that A&E have grossed 8b$ in six years (including about 4,5B$ of merchandise items sold). This is probably more than the other princesses/brands combined have done in their lifetime.

This also means that its boxoffice is less of 20% of the total sales.

So I think Frozen 2 is the biggest commercial in history. I heard that Anna and Elsa each have four new outfits, potentially eight new different kind of dolls.

I hope it's also a good movie. I can't say until Nov 27. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I thought the first episodes actually, it's really good! It's also why I said "we're not getting it" but it wasn't an attack agaisnt the TV show :). I was expecting to see the rest but when I heard of Disney+ I knew it was comng there so I waited to see everything with this streaming service :)

Now I just need to wait until March 2020 ^^"

It doesn't come on Disney+ til then? Aww. 

I really need to catch up on the series, but DANG "Ready As I'll Ever Be" is a fantastic song.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

It doesn't come on Disney+ til then? Aww. 

I really need to catch up on the series, but DANG "Ready As I'll Ever Be" is a fantastic song.

No no, it's available on Disney+ but Disney+ won't release in Western Europe before March 31,2020 that's why :)

Edited by Fullbuster

Frozen got something, that Moana didn't have. While "How far I'll go" is a catchy song, "Let it Go" certainly is one of the Songs of the century in terms of cultural impact. 

Studios underestimate the Power of songs nowadays.

It's the only explanation, why Skyfall blew up that way. It had Adele and the perfect Song.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Frozen got something, that Moana didn't have. While "How far I'll go" is a catchy song, "Let it Go" certainly is one of the Songs of the century in terms of cultural impact. 

It's the only explanation, why Skyfall blew up that way. It had Adele and the perfect Song.

OccasionalFixedGander-size_restricted.gi

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Skyfall is one of my fave songs of all time, but it wasn't even that big of a hit. In the USA, per example, it stayed only one week at top 10 (at #8) and it has 'only' 2xP, despite it, the movie became the only Bond movie to gross $300m there. Not sure if there's any correlation.

Edited by The Horror of Lucas Films

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

OccasionalFixedGander-size_restricted.gi

Of course Titanic is the unfought Queen.

But there are so many movies that made a lot of money due to radio promotion that more or less comes for free. And it's not only the song being on the radio, what's worth even more:

A sucessful song airs 4,5 times a day and during every moderation, there will be hints to the movie it belongs to. It's just the perfect way to promote a movie. 

Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, The Bodyguard, Robin Hood, Sister Act, Men in Black, Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, The greatest Showman, you could go on and on. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Skyfall is one of my fave songs of all time, but it wasn't even that big of a hit. In the USA, per example, it stayed only one week at top 10 (at #8) and it has 'only' 2xP, despite it, the movie became the only Bond movie to gross $300m there. Not sure if there's any correlation.

It was a big enough hit to be everywhere all over media.

Everybody talked about Skyfall, the Song built a hype and the movie blew up out of nowhere.

There is no other explanation. Quantum of Solace being the last movie can't be the reason.

I stick to it. Skyfall was worth at least $200m for Sony. Maybe even more.