CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

On 1/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, cdsacken said:

What the heck none near Seattle. Hmm gonna be in Georgia that week. I should subject my father in law to this. Muhahhahah

It's playing at the Regal Meridian for the next week at least. 

I got a ticket for Tuesday evening after work 

• Like 1

So just for fun, I asked every close family member who has seen both Frozen movies to grade them 1-10. Here are the results based on a decent sized sample (11 people including me).

Total average  (male average / female average)

F1: 7.8  (7.5 / 8.2)

F2: 6.9  (6.8 / 7.0)

Most of us placed F2 one point below F1.

Two people placed F2 more than one point below F2 (by 4&2 points).

Two people preferred F2 over F1 (by 2&1 points).

Average age is around 23 years, so we are not exactly the target demo of Disney Animation. Still Frozen is obviously way more 4-quadrant than anything else Disney produced in the last decade. It has more mature themes and more complex characters while it's still appealing to children.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, misafeco said:

So F2's 9th week is around 84% of Moana's 9th week.

Moana made additional 14.5M, 84% of that is roughly 12M. I'll assume F2 drops will be somewhat bigger, so a little more than 10M is left in the tank to a 477M+ finish.

If the OS can pull another $40M, then it have a chance at $1.450B+

On 1/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, Morieris said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That's all I want.

Spoiler

I saw pics of them on either Twitter or Tumblr so they are coming.

I want the ornaments, dammit.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 2

I've just watched it and I honestly think it's very weak regarding plot. I think there's no real antagonist at all, with things happening because they had to happen.

My wife was indiferent to it, but she liked the scenes with Olaf. She complained there was way too much singing and that damaged her experience.

My 7 years old girl enjoyed it more than the first movie. My 4 years old girl kept asking when was the movie going to end ( she loved Aladdin, Ferdinand and also loved the Sonic trailer ), which was a surprise to me ( she hated Frozen 2 ).

I would give it a B / B- 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just watched it and I honestly think it's very weak regarding plot. I think there's no real antagonist at all, with things happening because they had to happen.

My wife was indiferent to it, but she liked the scenes with Olaf. She complained there was way too much singing and that damaged her experience.

My 7 years old girl enjoyed it more than the first movie. My 4 years old girl kept asking when was the movie going to end ( she loved Aladdin, Ferdinand and also loved the Sonic trailer ), which was a surprise to me ( she hated Frozen 2 ).

I would give it a B / B- 

It's interesting that Disney Animation is moving away from the hero vs. villain formula. In the 2010s in most films there was a twist villain at the end (Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia) or no major villain at all (Moana, Ralph 2, Frozen 2). I'm fine with it as it allows creating more complex/grey heros and also allows making their relationship with the other protagonist(s) more interesting.

It definitely worked in the first Frozen. Hans was only a tool to create a dramatic ending, where Anna had to choose between her own life and her sister's life. Making him the villain from the start would've been a mistake as the conflict is revolving around Anna & Elsa both flawed persons with good intentions. I feel the same about Frozen 2. It's a story about growing up (similar to Moana in this regard) and these kind of stories don't require a villain. It already had a big main cast basically fighting for screen time so the movie didn't even try building up new characters (not counting the parents who had just a tiny part in the original).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I would give it a B / B- 

lmao weak plot but the first was strong? It was so simple a 2 year old knew what was gonna happen. I can understand no let it go number, too many plot lines, too dark etc but plot was bad? Did you think the first had the worst plot ever?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

It's interesting that Disney Animation is moving away from the hero vs. villain formula. In the 2010s in most films there was a twist villain at the end (Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia) or no major villain at all (Moana, Ralph 2, Frozen 2). I'm fine with it as it allows creating more complex/grey heros and also allows making their relationship with the other protagonist(s) more interesting.

It definitely worked in the first Frozen. Hans was only a tool to create a dramatic ending, where Anna had to choose between her own life and her sister's life. Making him the villain from the start would've been a mistake as the conflict is revolving around Anna & Elsa both flawed persons with good intentions. I feel the same about Frozen 2. It's a story about growing up (similar to Moana in this regard) and these kind of stories don't require a villain. It already had a big main cast basically fighting for screen time so the movie didn't even try building up new characters (not counting the parents who had just a tiny part in the original).

A villain wouldn't have made much sense. It filled so many of the gaping holes of the first film ( created a few as well) and it expanded the role of Anna so much. I really love her character so much, and Elsa doing the right thing in regards to the crown was awesome too. It really tied everything together well. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

lmao weak plot but the first was strong? It was so simple a 2 year old knew what was gonna happen. I can understand no let it go number, too many plot lines, too dark etc but plot was bad? Did you think the first had the worst plot ever?

You're entitled to your wrong opinion on the first movie. :P

While it was straightforward like what you would expect from Disney Animation, I wouldn't call the plot 'simple'. Simple enough for kids to follow (is that a bad thing?), but if you dig deeper, there are so much more to it! And I would say the ending is misunderstood by a lot of people who think the act of true love was performed by Elsa.

I challenge you to summarize the full plot of Frozen 1 in one sentence.

Example: The Lion King: "Evil lion kills the king to become the new ruler, but the son of the dead king returns from his exile to revenge his father and reclaim the throne."

I left out the details of Mufasa's death and what brought Simba back, but this summarizes the movie pretty well.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, misafeco said:

You're entitled to your wrong opinion on the first movie. :P

While it was straightforward like what you would expect from Disney Animation, I wouldn't call the plot 'simple'. Simple enough for kids to follow (is that a bad thing?), but if you dig deeper, there are so much more to it! And I would say the ending is misunderstood by a lot of people who think the act of true love was performed by Elsa.

I challenge you to summarize the full plot of Frozen 1 in one sentence.

Example: The Lion King: "Evil lion kills the king to become the new ruler, but the son of the dead king returns from his exile to revenge his father and reclaim the throne."

I left out the details of Mufasa's death and what brought Simba back, but this summarizes the movie pretty well.

Princess with ice powers loses her parents. She becomes queen and at the celebration loses control causes a permanent cold storm.  She runs away, her sister chases after. Obviously evil man attempts to seize power. He attempts to kill princess, sister sacrifices herself. Ice powers save sister, end storm and everyone is happy.

• Like 1

Frozen 2 was my most anticipated movie of 2019 as I'm a big fan of the 1st movie and I wasn't disappointed at all in the end in terms of both quality and box office.

My most anticipated movie now is Raya and the Last Dragon, it's gonna be a long wait...but it's OK, so many amazing videogames to play in the meantime!

PS: the fact this movie only has 103 pages clearly shows these forums aren't in sync with the overall audience, just sayin' ^^"

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Princess with ice powers loses her parents. She becomes queen and at the celebration loses control causes a permanent cold storm.  She runs away, her sister chases after. Obviously evil man attempts to seize power. He attempts to kill princess, sister sacrifices herself. Ice powers save sister, end storm and everyone is happy.

A decent try. :) What does the bold part mean?

My point was that a good movie's plot doesn't need to be complicated. For me mostly the execution, characters, nailing the key moments is what makes a great film. One of my all time favorites is just about 12 men arguing in a room.

• Like 1

Adventure movies without an antagonist are great, IMO. There are multiple venues for conflict and tension that don't require a villain.

If you go by the classic plot conflicts (vs man, vs nature, vs self, vs society, vs technology, vs fate) F2 has nature, self, and fate... 

... and tech

• Like 3