CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

It’s interesting that both Toystory4 and Frozen 2 deal with a similar character journey for their respective protagonist.Both Woody and Elsa are trying to find their next step and purpose in life.I think TS4 did it better in the first half, were you feel for Woody feeling purposeless but F2 made you feel the culmination of that ark more,with the powerful scene of “show yourself”.

It’s a shame Frozen 2 couldn’t reach $500M. I’m actually shocked it didn’t at least outgross Finding Dory (if we’re being real tho, in terms of quality, F2>>>>FD). 

But I think after Incredibles 2, the box office forecasts for F2 on Reddit went crazy. Some predicting $200M OW (but let’s be real here, F2 had a much better chance at $200M OW than TS4. Those TS4 OW predictions were way too high and people need to learn that 1st day presales don’t mean jack shit, cus look at Solo. It had better presales than fucking Black Panther and it ended up being a flop.).

I didn’t say $200M OW like some people, I was more conservative at $160M (I was saying $500M; $480M when TS4 had its super high tracking) but I think why its OW was sorta deflated is cus many families waited until Thanksgiving to see it, resulting in its strong $86M 2nd weekend. I think its legs were fine, but the post-holiday legs weren’t as good as F1 because F2 had more competition vying for the family audience, like Dolittle, Jumanji: The Next Level, etc, which resulted in...well decent legs but not as good as F1. Had it had a free run like F1, it would’ve made $500-520M probably. Maybe even could’ve challenged Rogue One/Dark Knight/Lion King. But $477.4M is still a solid gross.

I don’t think the problem here was the audience reception. Everyone I talked to said it was good, and just as good, if not better than, the first one. I think the problem (as I mentioned above) was it had more competition than F1 (Saving Mr. Banks turned out too dark for families, Walter Mitty was more adult-skewing, and F1 basically had a free run until Lego Movie).

Edited by ReptileDysfunction7

Dory and Incredibles 2 also had summer and nostalgia powering them. OTOH Anna, Elsa and co. have been front and centre in pop-culture since the first movie came out. 

Interesting though that now the Top 3 animated films both DOM and WW all have female protagonists (I2/FD/F2 and F2/F1/I2 respectively).

• Like 2

I'm really glad it came out before this whole coronamess, when you think about it it was the last big movie to impress us before all this happened as Star Wars didn't do as well as expected.

As it won't be available on Disney+ before 2022 over here I'm a bit frustrated, I might have to buy the DVD.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Fullbuster said:

I'm really glad it came out before this whole coronamess, when you think about it it was the last big movie to impress us before all this happened as Star Wars didn't do as well as expected.

As it won't be available on Disney+ before 2022 over here I'm a bit frustrated, I might have to buy the DVD.

Yeah Star Wars: TROS didn’t necessarily flop but it was for sure a big disappointment.

Frozen 2 on the other hand did well, even if it didn’t match the crazy high domestic predictions that people on Reddit had.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/frozen-2-movie-profits-2019-kristen-bell-josh-gad-disney-1202916523/

THE BOTTOM LINE

Wow. That $1.45B in global box office yielded $1 billion in overall revenues. Total costs were $453M including $150M production cost, $145M global P&A spend in participations of $35M which were bonus deals for Gad, Bell, Menzel, filmmakers and Lopezes. Frozen 2 warmed up $599 in net profit for Disney at the end of the day.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2