CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Request denied.

If this is suggesting what I think you're suggesting, this removes one of the very few worries I had about the reception of Frozen II among the fanbase.

Really feeling confident in my 500m+ thoughts right now and more bullish on my 550m+ target.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Lol people get so triggered by that stuff. Gay or not who cares? Screw it bring it on. It's so much easier to be not just tolerant but welcoming of that content. I encourage all to open themselves up to it. Seriously understanding different perspectives in life makes you a better person. I can attest to that.

First it was women, now it's the gays. These damn minorities are RUINING everything these days. Next thing you tell me they'll make a studio movie with an all Asian cast that makes massive money. What a horrifying thought. Oh wait.

28 minutes ago, cookie said:

Let the ga(y)mes begin.

Why do people want to shoehorn characters being gay into everything again?

You want a character to be gay, fine. But have it be an original character who's not already established from a previous movie and not shoehorn an orientation in to push a "representation" agenda when gay people are only 4% of the population when people want to push it and act like its 20%.

Like a character for their actual character, don't just say "I just like this character because they're gay for no reason".

Edited by FrozenUnicorn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

21 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

You want a character to be gay, fine. But have it be an original character who's not already established from a previous movie and not shoehorn an orientation in to push a "representation" agenda when gay people are only 4% of the population when people want to push it and act like its 20%.

Like a character for their actual character, don't just say "I just like this character because they're gay for no reason".

Are you saying that LGBT representation is 20%? Oh, to dream...

11 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

Ah yes. Let it be "natural" and "not shoehorned in".

There's one itsy teeny tiny little problem with this idea.  For many folks having any LGBTQ+ characters, new or not, is never natural and is almost always "shoehorned in".

It's one of this impossible to define situations that is a convenient "out" for many.  Not saying you in the specific, but it's one of those near-impossible to define qualifications that holds back LGBTQ+ representation.

As for this:

15 minutes ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

and not shoehorn an orientation in to push a "representation" agenda when gay people are only 4% of the population when people want to push it and act like its 20%.

when it comes to Frozen II in specific and Disney animation in general, remind me again how many confirmed LGBTQ+ characters there are in Disney Animated Films?

I personally haven't been keeping track but I suspect the answer isn't even close to 4% never mind 20%.

(I do know the answer is in fact "not zero" when it comes confirmed as opposed to speculated/seen as)

====

Finally, there are quite a few people who think it is very natural and not at all shoehorned in that one particular character in Frozen is LGBTQ+. 

And I think that is just about all I have to say in regards to the point about something being "natural" and "not shoehorned in".

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And I think that is just about all I have to say in regards to the point about something being "natural" and "not shoehorned in".

I feel like every single time we have a movie or TV show that features any minority that has been underserved throughout history getting spotlight we have people complaining about something being shoehorned in or having an agenda or that no one would be praising said movie/TV show if it wasn't about (fill in the blank with your minority of choosing) out of insecurity. Diversity has to start somewhere.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Nobody gives a fuck about your stupid violin. And they’re not going to turn Elsa gay. There’d be so much backlash.

This is 2019 not 1999.  I think the alleged backlash you suggest would matter not at all in the end when it came to the box office.

• Like 1

Tbh I think part of the problem is spec shipping is a sensitive issue within fandoms in general, whether it's gay or straight. Half of them are going to be pissed no matter what so I predict they keep her single and sexually ambiguous.

Edited by tribefan695

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is 2019 not 1999.  I think the alleged backlash you suggest would matter not at all in the end when it came to the box office.

I remember all the hoopla over BatB which a) didn't end up mattering and b) was for a character that was implied gay for all of three seconds in the actual film.