CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

For the first time since its launch the Frozen brand lose the top spot for the licensing market in Europa. The comeback of the Pokemon dethroned it. Similar signs of slowing down coming from North America.

ifqyb8.png

Maybe this trend can convince Disney to release the sequel of its most lucrative brand as soon as possible? Or They are waiting to see if, after new movies (BH6, Inside Out, Zootopia) totally failed to generate sales out of cinemas, Moana will be the new golden pot?

28 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

For the first time since its launch the Frozen brand lose the top spot for the licensing market in Europa. The comeback of the Pokemon dethroned it. Similar signs of slowing down coming from North America.

ifqyb8.png

Maybe this trend can convince Disney to release the sequel of its most lucrative brand as soon as possible? Or They are waiting to see if, after new movies (BH6, Inside Out, Zootopia) totally failed to generate sales out of cinemas, Moana will be the new golden pot?

Maybe Moana can sell half the merchandise Frozen did.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2016 at 8:41 AM, CoolEric258 said:

It's so obviously gonna be 2019.

Disney's building the Frozen franchise bit by bit every year.

2013: The movie

2014: Once Upon A Time 

2015: Frozen Fever

2016: Frozen: Live at the Hyperion and Frozen Ever After

2017: Frozen: The Christmas Special

2018: Frozen on Broadway

They keep giving the fans a new thing every year in different shapes and forms, each one bigger and better than the last. If some new major Frozen thing comes out each and every year, then the sequel's a definite, as where else can you really go?

There's a Frozen comic out now too.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2016 at 3:57 PM, Mojoguy said:

Frozen 2 will be bigger than Zootopia 2.

That's obvious given how huge Frozen is, even now, when it comes to toys and other things for kids.

Frozen 2 will be exciting to see when it comes to box office. :o

By then China and many other emerging markets will be way bigger than in 2013! Inflation and population growth in the US could help a bit too.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2016 at 5:11 AM, CoolEric258 said:

It's so obviously gonna be 2019.

Disney's building the Frozen franchise bit by bit every year.

2013: The movie

2014: Once Upon A Time 

2015: Frozen Fever

2016: Frozen: Live at the Hyperion and Frozen Ever After

2017: Frozen: The Christmas Special

2018: Frozen on Broadway

They keep giving the fans a new thing every year in different shapes and forms, each one bigger and better than the last. If some new major Frozen thing comes out each and every year, then the sequel's a definite, as where else can you really go?

Wow, well-said, seen that way that could be really huge :) I loved Elsa and Anna in Once Upon A Time by the way :)

On 07/09/2016 at 11:16 PM, edroger3 said:

ifqyb8.png

I really hope Moana will have a real breakthrough, it's so beautiful and fresh, my most anticipated movie of the year :)

• Like 3

Meanwhile it seems that they and their licensing partners (Hasbro, Lego, Jakks Pacific) have more hope in new Disney Channel's brand Elena Of Avalor, the first Latina among Disney Princesses. 
It is named as Sofia The First spinoff and shares the same universe, but has a plotline more similar to Frozen (teenage indipendent princess/queen. adventure, music, sisterly bond). It quickly became the #1 kids tv show in USA, already appeared in theme parks and will have a worldwide launch soon.

Edited by edroger3
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

That's obvious given how huge Frozen is, even now, when it comes to toys and other things for kids.

Frozen 2 will be exciting to see when it comes to box office. :o

By then China and many other emerging markets will be way bigger than in 2013! Inflation and population growth in the US could help a bit too.

When I went to China this summer, Frozen merch was still huge everywhere. Frozen 2 is going to beat Zootopia there easily, and I wouldn't be surprised if it passes Furious 7.

16 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

When I went to China this summer, Frozen merch was still huge everywhere. Frozen 2 is going to beat Zootopia there easily, and I wouldn't be surprised if it passes Furious 7.

Eh, I doubt that. We still don't know how big Frozen 2 is going to be anywhere.

39 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Eh, I doubt that. We still don't know how big Frozen 2 is going to be anywhere.

Fair enough given that we don't even have a release date yet, but it's a brand that is still going strong three years removed from the actual movie. Disney is in a position where they can build hype for this years in advance. 

• Like 1

The Broadway production of Frozen has entered a month long development lab: http://www.playbill.com/article/stage-adaptation-of-disneys-frozen-getting-month-long-lab-in-ny-starting-today

They've pulled on a new director for the production. The Lopezes and Lee are involved in the Lab (although Kristen Andersen-Lopez is also at work on another show, so seems to be splitting her time.) Apparently there are possibly a dozen new songs. I wonder if we'll see some of the pieces that were parts of earlier drafts of the film make an appearance in the stage production, at least musically. It's pretty clear that in the film, there are a lot of gaps to fill. As it stands, the three act structure breaks down with the following songs:

Act 1:

Vuelie (Which is listed on the soundtrack as part of the score, but will probably play as something of an Overture.)

Frozen Heart

Do You Want to Build a Snowman

For the First Time in Forever

Love is an Open Door

Let it Go

Act 2:

Reindeer are better than People

In Summer

For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)

Act 3:

Fixer Upper

Act 1 is pretty solid for most requires plot beats (although if they wanted to add something with the Trolls it might be good to aid in a transition and to possibly set up a connection to Fixer Upper). Act 2 needs a few additions. Act 3 needs pretty much all major plot beats covered.

I'd expect that the intermission (end of Stage Act 1) to happen right after the Forever reprise.

One interesting thing is what they might do for the moment when Anna fully transforms. I remember an interesting discussion after the film's release that posited that it would have been nice if there was a small, haunting, Do You Want to Build a Snowman reprise right there. I think they may have even entertained that, but felt that going for the silent shock was better on the screen. I could see them choosing differently for the stage, though.

Exciting stuff! Even if the sequel is possibly not moving forward quite so strongly, the stage production is really something to look forward to.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Wait a moment, no doubt that Frozen now is more famous than two years ago (while Zootopia is already forgotten) and is a perfect merchandising machine, but you are sure that the chinese market can have a 300/400m animated? I thinh no, also seing that the growth is coming to an end there: after two years of double (and triple) digit of consecutive montly increase, in past six months they have had four down.

In other hand I agree with you that one of the (very) few cinematic brands to invest in China is certainly Frozen, that in almost all the markets, in less than three years, was able to generate sales three or four times bigger than its (remarkable) boxoffice result.

Edited by edroger3
  • Like 3