CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

14 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

Wait a moment, no doubt that Frozen now is more famous than two years ago (while Zootopia is already forgotten) and is a perfect merchandising machine, but you are sure that the chinese market can have a 300/400m animated? I thinh no, also seing that the growth is coming to an end there: after two years of double (and triple) digit of consecutive montly increase, in past six months they have had four down.

In other hand I agree with you that one of the (very) few cinematic brands to invest in China is certainly Frozen, that in almost all the markets, in less than three years, was able to generate sales three or four times bigger than its (remarkable) boxoffice result.

The Chinese market can absolutely have a $300m/$400m animated movie, especially in the future. It wouldn't even break The Mermaid's record.

I don't think Zootopia is a bad investment either, just going by ticket sales. You can say people forgot it, but it was an unknown before it debuted in March.

54 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

Wait a moment, no doubt that Frozen now is more famous than two years ago (while Zootopia is already forgotten) and is a perfect merchandising machine, but you are sure that the chinese market can have a 300/400m animated? I thinh no, also seing that the growth is coming to an end there: after two years of double (and triple) digit of consecutive montly increase, in past six months they have had four down.

In other hand I agree with you that one of the (very) few cinematic brands to invest in China is certainly Frozen, that in almost all the markets, in less than three years, was able to generate sales three or four times bigger than its (remarkable) boxoffice result.

Yeah, I was probably being a little hyperbolic. As you pointed out, growth as slowed way down, and, at the end of the day, China is always a gamble. This could play more like Finding Dory for all I know. However, I can't help but think that this should beat Zoo, given a probable four years of growth (even slow growth) and an already established brand. Sometimes things just resonate, like the original did in Japan.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

The Chinese market can absolutely have a $300m/$400m animated movie, especially in the future. It wouldn't even break The Mermaid's record.

I don't think Zootopia is a bad investment either, just going by ticket sales. You can say people forgot it, but it was an unknown before it debuted in March.

It is known that the ticket money goes almost all (75/80%) in the hands of the Chinese distributors and cinema chains.

However there are 1,5 Billions of potential consumer to sell merchandise ........

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lmja said:

It is known that the ticket money goes almost all (75/80%) in the hands of the Chinese distributors and cinema chains.

However there are 1,5 Billions of potential consumer to sell merchandise ........

In the long run it's better to invest there as much as you can, Disney it's also toys, cartoons, amusement parks, resorts...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

In the long run it's better to invest there as much as you can, Disney it's also toys, cartoons, amusement parks, resorts...

Yes, for Disney the cinematic gross is only a small part of the business. They don't want great movies, they want great brands.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

Yes, for Disney the cinematic gross is only a small part of the business. They don't want great movies, they want great brands.

OK, but they are still interested in movies. If Wreck-It Ralph has a sequel confirmed, I don't see how Zootopia will not have one.

11 hours ago, cannastop said:

OK, but they are still interested in movies. If Wreck-It Ralph has a sequel confirmed, I don't see how Zootopia will not have one.

Regarding Wreck-It Ralph 2 the director Rich Moore speaks about "a good relationship" with a little company called Nintendo. 

By the way in merchandise/toy area WiR works way better than Zoo. 

On 26/10/2016 at 8:59 PM, cannastop said:

Ralph has real potential going forward so that's not surprising, and the fact that they decided to make it about the internet and probably online games will help it to look fresh and innovative so they really wanted a sequel not just to have a sequel but because there was a good reason artistically speaking.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:59 PM, cannastop said:

I know it doesn't mean much at this point, but Rich and Byron did confirm that there is a script for the sequel written. Who knows what will change, but at least it's being thought about. 

2 hours ago, elcaballero said:

I know it doesn't mean much at this point, but Rich and Byron did confirm that there is a script for the sequel written. Who knows what will change, but at least it's being thought about. 

Where did you hear that? I've heard of those rumors before, but it turned out that someone misheard something that Phil Johnston said in an interview. Are there new rumors?

48 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Easy : Elsa will find a boyfriend, I feel it!! :jeb!:

Or they'll try to be innovative : Elsa finding a girlfriend :qotd:

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Elsa getting a boyfriend would be the worst thing ever.

There's 4 types of people:

Those who think Elsa should be forever alone to hit the theme of not needing a love interest to be fulfilled.

Those who think Elsa "must" get a girlfriend so Disney can finally have a front and center same-sex relationship.

Those who think Elsa should get a boyfriend, mainly just to troll the above two groups.

Those who don't give a shit about Elsa's relationship status, so long as it's well-written and not forced into the story just because.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Those who think Elsa should be forever alone to hit the theme of not needing a love interest to be fulfilled.

Those who think Elsa "must" get a girlfriend so Disney can finally have a front and center same-sex relationship.

Those who think Elsa should get a boyfriend, mainly just to troll the above two groups.

Those who don't give a shit about Elsa's relationship status, so long as it's well-written and not forced into the story just because.

I'm the bottom one.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Where did you hear that? I've heard of those rumors before, but it turned out that someone misheard something that Phil Johnston said in an interview. Are there new rumors?

I looked into it and you are absolutely right. Phil was talking about a different film entirely.

Here's a pretty good Q&A to listen to.

http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2016/10/zootopia-q.html

No new information, but I could listen to these guys talk about the production process forever.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

There is a fifth type (I'm in): those that are interested in the development of her relationship with Anna, that is, in itself, the most beautiful and innovative thing ever done in Disney history.

• Like 3