CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

Bigger previews. I2 did 18.5. F2 should be bigger. 

I am curious why you think so. That had 13-14 years of anticipation and was superhero based animation. This is female driven movie with a talking snowman. Not sure it will play as much 4 quad like I2.

I could be wrong. Its PS has not even started and so I will compare this to TLK when it starts. That had higher previews than I2 and so would be good comparison. @captainwondyful I am sure has more data to compare.

At least shows have started to appear at plexes but so far its limited(1/5th of current SW preview show count and 1/3rd of Joker final show count)  . Nothing screams uber previews. But I will wait for PS to start before providing better perspective. I have a month of data across 2 chains and I do have TLK previews data for Empire 25.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@captainwondyful I am sure has more data to compare.

I have no data to compare because Frozen II Tickets Haven't Gone On Sale Yet

I am also on the I2 Train for this.  It's basically gonna be Endgame for Little Girls.  The board might not be excited, cause it's mostly not the demo for Frozen, but Elsa Is Coming.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

I have no data to compare because Frozen II Tickets Haven't Gone On Sale Yet

I am also on the I2 Train for this.  It's basically gonna be Endgame for Little Girls.  The board might not be excited, cause it's mostly not the demo for Frozen, but Elsa Is Coming.

I am not talking today. You have data when the PS starts.

I dont agree with Endgame comparisons. That had 11 years and 20 odd movies of build up. This is a sequel to a big WOM blockbuster. So movies like I2 or TS4 will be good comparison. TLK should be good as well as both were family movies thought that had more than a generation of audience build up vs 7 years for Frozen. We will see how Endgame for girls work out. Generally women driven movies tend to have strong PS. But Family movies have limited PS though I2 and TS4 did very well. TLK was uber strong but it played more than family movie.

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am curious why you think so. That had 13-14 years of anticipation and was superhero based animation. This is female driven movie with a talking snowman. Not sure it will play as much 4 quad like I2.

I could be wrong. Its PS has not even started and so I will compare this to TLK when it starts. That had higher previews than I2 and so would be good comparison. @captainwondyful I am sure has more data to compare.

At least shows have started to appear at plexes but so far its limited(1/5th of current SW preview show count and 1/3rd of Joker final show count)  . Nothing screams uber previews. But I will wait for PS to start before providing better perspective. I have a month of data across 2 chains and I do have TLK previews data for Empire 25.

4 quad isn't necessary for big previews. A dedicated fanbase is. Relative to OW, female driven films with a large fanbase tend to have extremely large previews. Look at Twilight. Look at TFioS. Look at Hunger Games. Look at Harry Potter. Frozen has a fanbase on That Level. The previews are going to be massive, but it will look a little frontloaded over the weekend.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Is it good or bad??

It will all depend on WOM in China. But if that predicted opening is good enough for #2 in 2019, then Chinese moviegoers really don't like animated movies that much (with the exception of the local megahit Ne Zha).

Edited by MrGlass2

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It will all depend on WOM in China. But if that predicted opening is good enough for #2 in 2019, then Chinese moviegoers really don't like animated movies that much (with the exception of the local megahit Ne Zha).

Frozen 1 grossed only $49M total in China back then...

Hope this one will perform better...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Frozen 1 grossed only $49M total in China back then...

Hope this one will perform better...

I think that Zootopia had a fantastic, leggy run in China after a modest opening. That is why WOM matters so much there especially for animated movies.

That kind of breakout is unlikely to happen for a sequel if they didn't like Frozen. On the other hand, the Chinese market has grown a lot since 2013 so it should do much better than that.

Edited by MrGlass2

https://deadline.com/2019/10/frozen-2-opening-weekend-projection-1202773437/

Disney’s Frozen 2 hit tracking this morning at a very loud level with females and it’s poised to do $100M, maybe even more.

While no animated film outside of summer has ever opened to $100M, even over the Thanksgiving 5-day, make no doubt that women have fueled the November box office before with The Hunger Game pics, the second film in the Lionsgate franchise, Catching Fire, being the highest with $158M.

More fuel adding to Frozen 2‘s projection: the sequel’s first teaser racked up the most ever for an animated pic back in February with 116.4M views worldwide in its first 24 hours, besting the 113.6M of Incredibles 2. 

7 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

I think that Zootopia had a fantastic, leggy run in China after a modest opening. That is why WOM matters so much there especially for animated movies.

That kind of breakout is unlikely to happen for a sequel if they didn't like Frozen. On the other hand, the Chinese market has grown a lot since 2013 so it should do much better than that.

IIRC, Frozen's run in China was also leggy. It looked extremely disappointing at first, but it held onto modest business and was even extended beyond the original 30 day release window. I don't believe there was any indication that audiences disliked the film, but rather that it was something of an unknown that still got people interested.