CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

No studio will beat Disney 2019 numbers at the box office both dom & ww in the 2020's., not even Disney itself.

For this to be true requires streaming to kill theatergoing mighty fast before inflation and market growth do their normal thing.    

When measured in a way that accounts for inflation, ERs, and market growth I think it actually is possible that we'll never see any future year match 2019, but it's very difficult to adjust for those things in a way that people will agree is correct/fair.

10 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

For this to be true requires streaming to kill theatergoing mighty fast before inflation and market growth do their normal thing.    

When measured in a way that accounts for inflation, ERs, and market growth I think it actually is possible that we'll never see any future year match 2019, but it's very difficult to adjust for those things in a way that people will agree is correct/fair.

Market growth isn't infinite. We can see how China slowed down and it won't be too long until Asia as a whole reaches a plateau (with the exception of India and Pakistan possibly opening up more to western blockbusters).

Latin America will probably keep growing for a while but the ERs keep crumbling (political and economic instability will keep going in the near future)

So unless we get an economic boom in Africa, it doesn't seem like the market growth we saw in the 10s is sustainable. 

Inflation will get it done, though I'd say ERs and inflation keep each other somewhat balanced.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

This decade was better than the Renaissance overall. Sure, most aren't BatB/TLK masterpiece tier, but almost all of these movies beat the post TLK renaissance excluding Mulan. And Moana is BatB/TLK level. 

For me:

1. Beauty and the Beast

2. The Lion King

3. Mulan

4. Aladdin

5. Pocahontas

6. Hercules

7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

vs.

1. Frozen

2. Zootopia

3. Moana

4. Tangled

5. Wreck-it Ralph

6. Big Hero 6

7. Winnie the Pooh

I would say the first pack is better by a decent margin and I don't say it because of nostalgia. I watched most of them as an adult.

I dunno, I feel like a lot of the stuff between the Renaissancce and this decade is about on par with each other. Lots of 7-8/10 movies with one or two really strong stand-outs thrown in the mix. But I guess compared to the weaker movies, stuff like Pocahontas and Hercules are way more interesting and memorable, both in the good and bad, than stuff like Big Hero 6 or Wreck-It Ralph, which are just kinda flat throughout. So I guess props to the Renaissance?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Torrance said:

I dunno, I feel like a lot of the stuff between the Renaissancce and this decade is about on par with each other. Lots of 7-8/10 movies with one or two really strong stand-outs thrown in the mix. But I guess compared to the weaker movies, stuff like Pocahontas and Hercules are way more interesting and memorable, both in the good and bad, than stuff like Big Hero 6 or Wreck-It Ralph, which are just kinda flat throughout. So I guess props to the Renaissance?

I will not stand for this slander against Wreck it Ralph, Hercules, and Big Hero 6

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah a lot of people give shit to the second one but I really enjoyed both, probably the second even more so than the first

The scene where Vanellope hugs Ralph at the end of the 2nd one. I was watching it with my daughter and she hugged me lol. Got me good!

• Like 2