CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

will finish on RT about 20 points lower than TS4 and will lose the Animated Feature Oscar to it. Who would have thought that originally?

Many of us did. I mean, did you expect Frozen 2 to be at Toy Story level, RT-wise? Frozen barely got over 90% on RT. It would be hard for the sequel to top that. Meanwhile, TS3 is at 98%. It was more likely for TS4 to get higher RT score than Frozen 2. I didn't want to make this Pixar vs WDAS. I just wanted to show how clueless that statement was.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Zootopia and Tangled are better than Frozen. 

I liked it but is overrated imo.

Many animated are better than Frozen, or deserves a sequel more than Frozen, but its merchandising sales are way bigger than these movies combined.

So not over-rated but over-sold or over-exposed or over-marketed.

If you had a brand that sells a billion a year and one that sells nothing (like Zootopia unfortunately), which would you push? 

At the beginning of 2014 the Disney CEO said that Frozen's positive effects on profits would go on for 5 years.

2014+5=2019 - Check.

On the other hand, those who sell licensed products linked to the Disney brands are pushing for another Frozen and are worried about the idea of another Zootopia.

After the reviews, I'm not really sure if I should watch the movie in cinemas anymore. It doesn't look like the kind of film I expected from the trailers. I'll probably wait a few more days before booking tickets.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm in love with the soundtrack (except for that Josh Gad song). I'm still lowering my expectations but I'll probably book tickets for this thursday tomorrow.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Reviews so far aren't too promising compared to every other Revival era film. Really hope WDAS stops with the sequels and goes back to what they do best (originals/fairy tales), but this is still going to make a crapload no matter what. What I've heard of the soundtrack is super dull though, so I can't see it being any kind of phenomenon like the first since that one's success was so dependent on the soundtrack being massive.

• Like 1

So the entire soundtrack is on Youtube now and god, I really wish they wouldn't undercut these big. beautiful moments with this stringed contemporary guitar.

Also P!ATD Into The Unknown > Idina's.

Spoiler

I can hardly hear Groff's singing over the piano.

& Kristoff has apparently turned into Starlord if his songs are to be believed.

Edited by Morieris

I never bothered to see it, although I want to now, but how come Moana did far less than Frozen at the box office? When reviews were even better? Didn't capture young girls hearts like Frozen did? I am rewatching Frozen, and damn this is a great movie. I love the little details in the movie, like showing Anna and Elsa have faults/ supposed "oddities" despite being princesses. 

29 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I never bothered to see it, although I want to now, but how come Moana did far less than Frozen at the box office? When reviews were even better? Didn't capture young girls hearts like Frozen did? I am rewatching Frozen, and damn this is a great movie. I love the little details in the movie, like showing Anna and Elsa have faults/ supposed "oddities" despite being princesses. 

I can't speak for everyone, but my daughter was 7 when Frozen came out, so she was just the right age to be caught up in it.  The whole thing with sisters, the music being very singable, the characters are charming, and, mostly, Elsa is essentially a female superhero and a queen, which is something pretty awesome to young girls.  It really made me think back to being 7 and watching Empire Strikes Back and realizing that Leia was also a Jedi.  I think she struck a chord with me for the same reason.

Moana was a great character and a lovely movie with a really sweet message, but she couldn't build an ice palace with her magic fingers, so that's just not going to come close to Frozen if you're a little girl.  Also, I think that as much as Frozen was about magic and all of that, it was ultimately about a sister going after another sister when she was hurting and that's something that kids get, whereas Moana had a more complicated story that didn't really resonate as well with young children.  Again, just my own observations from watching my daughter.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

It's because nobody in the audience cares about critic reviews, they decide for themselves if a movie is worth seeing. Frozen was something far more memorable in the eyes of the public than anything else WDAS has offered in this decade.

I think what contributed to the success of Frozen (apart from the great soundtrack) was the connection between the two main heros. Family is rarely the main theme of kids' movies these days.

• Like 4