CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

2 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I never bothered to see it, although I want to now, but how come Moana did far less than Frozen at the box office? When reviews were even better? Didn't capture young girls hearts like Frozen did? I am rewatching Frozen, and damn this is a great movie. I love the little details in the movie, like showing Anna and Elsa have faults/ supposed "oddities" despite being princesses. 

Moana has become a monster since its theatrical release. Its run has been reminiscent of The Little Mermaid.

• Like 6

There's probably a logical explanation for it that is too complicated to articulate, but bottom line is Frozen was lightning in a bottle. Moana's performance was about the baseline expectation for WDA movies, only inflated at the time of its release because it was the next princess movie after Frozen.

But it definitely has had an ancillary life pretty close to comparable with Frozen.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

There's probably a logical explanation for it that is too complicated to articulate, but bottom line is Frozen was lightning in a bottle. Moana's performance was about the baseline expectation for WDA movies, only inflated at the time of its release because it was the next princess movie after Frozen.

But it definitely has had an ancillary life pretty close to comparable with Frozen.

Source? The Numbers has them not even close.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

For what it's worth, from the time of its release to about February of this year, Moana (in blue) had more google searches in the United States than did Frozen (in yellow). Zootopia (in red) included for comparison purposes.

Edited by Jason

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

For what it's worth, from the time of its release to about February of this year, Moana (in blue) had more google searches in the United States than did Frozen (in yellow). Zootopia (in red) included for comparison purposes.

851a40bf27d52f2e3d54822f712d165b.png

Well it was 3 years older. But Moana never reached the peak levels that Frozen did or anywhere close. Do it by 2004-present and you can see the gulf.

Just now, Menor said:

Well it was 3 years older. But Moana never reached the peak levels that Frozen did or anywhere close. Do it by 2004-present and you can see the gulf.

Well yeah, I think everyone knows that, but I had the impression tribefan was talking about more recently.

Probability distribution of Frozen's final Tomatometer score, assuming ~300 final reviews and random sampling of current reviews (65 in total, 53 fresh). 95% chance that final Tomatometer score is between 72% and 88%.

eba5b052f1f9f3eb40b91cdc3fb7a07c.png

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Moana would have done better at the BO, if not quite Frozen-levels, if it hadn't been cut short at the knees by Sing, coming hot off the first SLoP (2016 was easily the height of Ilumination's popularity). There were multiple markets like DOM and Japan where Moana was gaining WOM but then Sing just came along and hurt it.

Still though, the soundtrack at least has been killing it since. There was one of those Teens React YouTube videos where they had to guess the highest selling Disney songs on Spotify (or was it iTunes?) and both How Far I'll Go and You're Welcome were in the Top 3(!) after Let It Go.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Moana would have done better at the BO, if not quite Frozen-levels, if it hadn't been cut short at the knees by Sing, coming hot off the first SLoP (2016 was easily the height of Ilumination's popularity). There were multiple markets like DOM and Japan where Moana was gaining WOM but then Sing just came along and hurt it.

Still though, the soundtrack at least has been killing it since. There was one of those Teens React YouTube videos where they had to guess the highest selling Disney songs on Spotify (or was it iTunes?) and both How Far I'll Go and You're Welcome were in the Top 3(!) after Let It Go.

Moana clocks in at #42 for the decade on Billboard’s 2010s list. The only soundtracks ahead of it are Frozen (#4), The Greatest Showman (#12), and A Star is Born (#33).

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 2

To be clear Frozen sold over 10x the merch that Moana did. It wasn't even close.

Finding Nemo did almost double what Cars did in theaters. Cars did 20x the merch though. Even cars 3 was still a big success because of merch.

People underestimate just how much they make from it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xftg123 said:

So, I listened to both Show Yourself and Into The Unknown (Elsa/Idina Menzel version).

I got to say, Show Yourself is the song. It is definitely going to be the successor to "Let It Go" compared to "Into The Unknown".

Yes, I have this feeling too. When we have the scence + the song, it will be much more impactful than just listen to the song. 

• Like 1