CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

Time flies! I still remember the epic thread of FROZEN and how fun it was to track its box office, I wonder if the users back then are still around. 

Not gonna lie I thought it was gonna be a 90%+ on RT but hey 83% ain't bad at all and I think it's kinda good so we can manage our expectations

Listened to the soundtrack and while I agree Show Yourself is great and could potentially be great in the context of the movie  I definitely understand why they are pushing Into the Unknown more, it's catchier and more show stopping to perform I imagine. And Aurora's adds a lot to the song!

Also Lost in the Woods is so good!

Edited by forg

I started the original thread back when the title was still being confused with a B-grade horror movie released in 2010. Had to add "Disney's" to clarify.

That thread didn't take off much at all until close to the release.  

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, OffTheHizzle said:

So your logic here is:

• Frozen was more popular than Moana
  • But Moana had better reviews than Frozen
  • Therefore the only explanation is racism

tumblr_pz4g51tozp1wwpu99o1_540.gifv

Seriously?

the racist white soccer moms didn't want to take their kids to see a POC princess. We have seen it happen before (princess and the frog)

Edited by HeadShot

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I still don't get doom and gloom over reviews and reactions. They seem very fine to me and presales are hot. And after Alladdin reviews, we shouldn't take them as be all and end all of boxoffice. 

For me 1.45B isn't doom and gloom. To reach 1.6B I always thought we needed insanely good reviews like 75/95

Just now, HeadShot said:

the racist white soccer moms didn't want to take their kids to see a POC princess. We have seen it happen before (princess and the frog)

really liked Princess and the Frog, I wish i got more support from people like Black Panther had. I suppose that if Princess and the Frog get released today it would get better box office.

Princess and the Frog didn't do well because it was a traditonal animation and that style was going out of fashion. That's the biggest reason. It came out at the time when Pixar became a dominant force in animation and that changed people's tastes. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Princess and the Frog didn't do well because it was a traditonal animation and that style was going out of fashion. That's the biggest reason. It came out at the time when Pixar became a dominant force in animation and that changed people's tastes. 

Also I think it being set in New Orleans wasn't a bit draw. In comparison to something like a fantasy world (much of Disney's fairy tales), Imperial China (Mulan), Paris (Hunchback), New Orleans just seems... underwhelming and boring (at least that was my main issue with it at the time it came out, New Orleans was just a bleh setting to me).

I also want to point out that Frozen was an anomaly among Princess animated movies. Moana did the same business as the wonderful Tangled and that bear poop Brave. Expecting that everything would make Frozen money (that isn't Frozen brand)  from now on wasn't realsitic. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 2

Guys, don"t talk like Moana is a failure, $640m was certainly profitable. Sure, it's a movie that I really love as much as Frozen and I wish it did more but to be fair even in Asia it didn't do as much as it should.

Now it's Disney so the movie will get a long life in DVD/Blu-Ray and Disney+ so it'll become more known and loved over time :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1