The Panda

What makes a movie "good" or "bad"?

I thought we were talking about movie quality?

I was, I was making a comparison,Life Itself was a movie that really didn't appeal to me but I could tell as a documentary it was well-made and informative in form, I just personally didn't care about what it was informing me about. However there are many Ebert fans who do and would greatly appreciate it (much more than me) so I'd recommend it to them. Kind of like how a tampon isn't a product useful to me, yet it's still an overall useful product.

There is no point in trying to determine a film's objective quality.  Simply because...there is no such thing.  Its a fool's errand.  Good films are defined by factors that extend far beyond that which can be objectively defined.  You seem to think otherwise...you are wrong.

You can certainly point to consensus, but even then...it's still not an objective standard of quality.  Some people can't stand this notion that things can't be so neatly and scientifically defined...but it's simply the truth of the matter.

Turkish Star Wars is a masterpiece and better than Star Wars.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I was, I was making a comparison,Life Itself was a movie that really didn't appeal to me but I could tell as a documentary it was well-made and informative in form, I just personally didn't care about what it was informing me about. However there are many Ebert fans who do and would greatly appreciate it (much more than me) so I'd recommend it to them. Kind of like how a tampon isn't a product useful to me, yet it's still an overall useful product.

Isn't one of the main goals of a film to engage, inform, or entertain?  It failed at this task with you.

You're not wrong.  This just is not an objectively quantifiable thing we are talking about.

The tampon example is not apt.  You find it useless because you don't have a vagina.  That is a defined product with a specific use...film, is not a good comparison to that.  Entertainment products don't engage by function the way a tampon does.

A tampon is a utilitarian tool, with one specific purpose.Film is creative expression, meant to play on a viewer's specific emotion and baggage as much as to exist within its actual framesBad example

Films have specific purposes, it was a rough example yes, but the director and producers have a purpose for the film (one to make money but an artistic one as well).Guardians of the Galaxy had the purpose to entertain the audience as a comedic portrayal of Marvel's cosmic universe. It succeeded in that goal with flying colors, it may have had a few flaws but they didn't hinder it from completing its intention, so a good movie. That doesn't mean you can't dislike it, but nobody can really deny that it didn't complete that goal with the vast majority of its audiences and critics.

Films have specific purposes, it was a rough example yes, but the director and producers have a purpose for the film (one to make money but an artistic one as well).Guardians of the Galaxy had the purpose to entertain the audience as a comedic portrayal of Marvel's cosmic universe. It succeeded in that goal with flying colors, it may have had a few flaws but they didn't hinder it from completing its intention, so a good movie.That doesn't mean you can't dislike it, but nobody can really deny that it didn't complete that goal with the vast majority of its audiences and critics.

Vast majority doesn't equal objective standard.  Tampons work with people who have vaginas.  Movies work with people who have eyes and ears.  That's the comparison.

But "good" is not defined by the ability to see and hear a film, but a deeper level of entertainment.  That some people didn't enjoy Guardians, and weren't entertained...I mean, come on, subjectivity right there. 

Now if you're arguing a movie is good if we can see it, and hear it...I agree, your movie is a bad movie if it fails to be audible and visible.  That's an objective standard.  But well, that's not what anybody is talking about here.

Edited by kowhite

If tele sees this mess he will flip! :P

btw imho all of this revolves around liking something for its artistic qualities vs liking something because it touches you on a personal level. Sometimes both of those qualities can come together and you get a perfect movie, but most of the time there is an either or scenario. In the end i would say that comparing a movie that you like artistically to one you enjoy on a more personal level is really difficult and outright saying that one is superior to the other becomes pretty meaningless :)

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

Films have specific purposes, it was a rough example yes, but the director and producers have a purpose for the film (one to make money but an artistic one as well).Guardians of the Galaxy had the purpose to entertain the audience as a comedic portrayal of Marvel's cosmic universe. It succeeded in that goal with flying colors, it may have had a few flaws but they didn't hinder it from completing its intention, so a good movie. That doesn't mean you can't dislike it, but nobody can really deny that it didn't complete that goal with the vast majority of its audiences and critics.

But that simply means many people liked it. It doesn't mean it's objectively good.
  • Like 3

Obviously you can never come upon a fact when it comes to this like you can with science. But that doesn't mean objectivity is impossible.For example, I am a male thus I have no uses for tampons, but I recognize they are a very good and valuable product even though I personally have no use for them.

Highly true. Tampons are god's gift.Though, I've seen guys use tampons for nosebleeds.
  • Like 1

Isn't one of the main goals of a film to engage, inform, or entertain? It failed at this task with you.You're not wrong. This just is not an objectively quantifiable thing we are talking about.The tampon example is not apt. You find it useless because you don't have a vagina. That is a defined product with a specific use...film, is not a good comparison to that. Entertainment products don't engage by function the way a tampon does.

Then take Shakespeare for example (yes I know a cliche writer to choose), there are many people who don't like Shakespearean plays but you'd be a fool to think they're bad.That's because anyone with half a brain can tell he's an excellent playwriter even if you don't necessarily like to read them.

Then take Shakespeare for example (yes I know a cliche writer to choose), there are many people who don't like Shakespearean plays but you'd be a fool to think they're bad.That's because anyone with half a brain can tell he's an excellent playwriter even if you don't necessarily like to read them.

But "ii think it's bad" and "i didn't like it" mean the same exact thing...

You'd be a fool to equate "i think it's well made" with "it's good"

sorry for disturbance dear panda..but only I decide if Shakespeare is any good or not..not snobbish old British fucks with due respect  :ph34r:

and I don't care for him..he's not good because he's not entertaining for me

All anyone cares about is whether a piece of entertainment works for them or not. If Shakespeare doesn't work for you, then he's "bad", in your opinion. Yes, most everyone else may think he's brilliant, but on the individual level, your opinion is your opinion.

And Shakespeare is still not objectively good, because there's no such thing.  Because everyone else thinks so...is not an argument for objectivity.

Nonetheless, I think I've contributed enough to this derail.