jj99

Tuesday #s | 'Ninja Turtles' beats 'Guardians of the Galaxy' by $2,303

Possible, BO.com long range tracking in July had it atOW $13,000,000 finals $34,000,000 and similar to TMNT facebook likes had shortly before the release, better poitive:negative ratio with the tweets, but I am not sure, I think less tweet counts => maybe bcs of that since last Friday it has If I Stay     OW $19,000,000 final $53,000,000

I've got it at 23-24M for OW

Giving Marvel Studios the #1 & 2 films at the NA box office year to date!!

And on #5 their distributer Disney/BV has then also now on #4 Maleficent, and on #14 the hold-over of last year's Frozen

Planes was not good at BO, but helps to push along the insane merchandise money Cars still makes (franchise = $2b per year)

Need for Speed did not bad ww... a bit of hold-over for Saving Mr. Banks (nearly $40m)....

No idea how the Hundred Foot Journey will end with ww's

Their only really 'bad' movies seems to be Million Dollar Arm, and that Muppet's movie, but both had not a 'John Carter budget', ...

Looks like not a too bad domestic year-to-date for them

• Like 1

I think If I Stay will win the weekend, but how can anyone really predict the #2 and #3 spots. Guardians will probably hold better than Turtles, but really, who knows? Sin City will probably be #4...

Out of BO.com

The asterix* stand for 'guessed' including TV... promo => not what I'd call 'profitable' via BO alone, but they'll get DVDs... and TV (12% OW in the US) + international TV/DVD/... income.

No other merchandise income => that get Marvel/Disney

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PG-13)

Opening Weekend: $91,608,337 | Total Domestic Gross: $202,853,933 | Worldwide Gross: $708,294,960 | Total Budget*: $330,000,000

That's a very generous under estimation of budget + promotion.  ASM2 reportedly cost $255m to produce and Deadline had the Marketing/Promotional budget at around an astounding $180m: $435m total. 

That's a very generous under estimation of budget + promotion.  ASM2 reportedly cost $255m to produce and Deadline had the Marketing/Promotional budget at around an astounding $180m: $435m total. 

Hmmm why do you think Deadline had it right? They are definitively not without fault (e.g. reported at the weekend/Monday GotG had now reached a ww of over $500m => wrong, RS is tweeting repeatedly about their checking-mistakes)

I prefer to compare within one system, as in if I look for certain details, I stay with one site and do not jump from one to the next as all of them vary a bit with certain details like print costs....

BO.com seems to have a pretty good insight to domestic advertising numbers. I've seen their estimates up to +/- 20% of the later found out numbers (exceptions ignored, there are always exceptions)

As far as I know only MOS had that kind of promo budget and bcs of that several pro sites wrote an article about the amount (but also including the extreme high income via product placement... of $160m to $170m before the movie was even released)

According to e.g. The Wrap Sony released this:

The studio is counting on Drew Goddard's “Sinister Six” and Alex Kurtzman's “Venom”

With great budget comes great responsibility.

Sony's pricey “Amazing Spider-Man” sequel must earn massive box office to justify the cost and also set the stage for future sequels and spinoffs. If Spidey stumbles, studio brass could draw more fire from investors like hedge fund guru Daniel Loeb.

It swings into U.S. theaters Friday with two more sequels and two Spider-Man spinoffs in development — “Sinister Six” and “Venom” – and it isn't cheap: “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” has a $250 million-plus production budget and a hefty marketing budget around $100 million.

http://www.thewrap.com/amazing-spider-man-2-vital-sony-future/

To a degree the half the production budget is a good rule of thumb, but usually not counting for the really big-budgets, there I see a ~ stagnation of around $70m (depending on the project and need for later plans!)

Btw, whatever the details around all this are, the film production boss at Sony Amy Pascal got a few days back her contract renewed for I think 2 years or so => I always calculate with at least 3 years to learn more about the real numbers (if at all to find), sometimes to find in a quartely or yearly report to the share holders or in a tax revenue public record like in UK filmed projects or...

I'll wait and see and work for the moment my lists with BO.com estimates and adjust when I find official press releases or public tax reports...

Maybe they shouldn't count on existing franchises and start creating new ones?

In a way, that's what they are trying to do. But just using properties they already own. I'm pretty sure that's their thought process anyway.

Regardless, this should be discussed on the TASM2 thread.

Numbers... ;)

Let's Be Cops

$2,505,100 19% 3,094 -- $810 $30,829,485  

Boyhood

$267,591 11% 771 265 $347 $14,152,133  

Chef

$20,616 17% 122 -120 $169 $29,335,433  

What If

$143,969 21% 787 767 $183 $1,322,998  

The Fluffy Movie

$5,252 5% 51 -105 $103 $2,796,284