Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

#Shazam had a advanced screening in #Japan yesterday and WB has allowed the reactions from the Japanese audiences on social media, and they have been just amazing. The movie only comes out on the 19th of April in Japan. Confidence level 1000.

Possible huge superhero breakout, it might make $11M in Japan! :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Worst case scenario, Shazam performs like the first Ant-Man ($62 million adjusted). With the exception of Fantastic Four, no Marvel/DC live action movie since 2013 has missed $60 million adjusted on opening weekend. Considering how unknown the character is, and how he wasn't introduced in previous DCEU movies, there's a big chance it does perform like Ant-Man. I think it will do better than that, but I wouldn't rule it out. So let's set $60 million as the absolute floor for Shazam. How much would Dumbo have to open at, and how much could it drop on second weekend, for it to prevent Shazam from being #1? I don't think that's a very realistic prediction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

175 DOM

125 China

250 OS-China

I think those are very realistic numbers and definitely enough to turn a good profit and keep WB happy. At the same time, it would be labeled a disappointment across the internet, so...

Unless this has a 90% RT score and does 700+, people will still have a hard time counting it as a win for DC.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Unless this has a 90% RT score

Seems likely based on how well the critics screenings are going thus far tbh

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

and does 700+

Maybe it'll be a WoM beast? Still can't see it hitting that high

Yeah people will only look at the box office result and not at the budget. If the budget is 80M and the movie earns 500-550M that is a hefty profit. Not to mention the fact that Shazam being a kids friendly movie will probably sell a lot of toys as well further leading to more profit.

2 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Damn. Still no Wonder Woman reference. :( 

I saw set pics last year from the toy store scene where they have some WW plushes, but I have no idea what’s in the movie. 

4 minutes ago, RollyCult said:

I'm really interested in seeing people's predictions for this film. Some fonts here(and a lot on r/boxoffice🤧) seem very cautious and pessimistic about its turn out for some strange reason. 

$1bn !!!

The pessimism seems to be about Shazam being ignored due to Captain Marvel and Endgame.

I'm in the middle. I think Shazam will do well. About 500M give and take. But it will be hard for it to much further if nothing unexpected happens. It has to overperform in places like China to become a break out hit.

3 minutes ago, LordNox said:

The pessimism seems to be about Shazam being ignored due to Captain Marvel and Endgame.

I'm in the middle. I think Shazam will do well. About 500M give and take. But it will be hard for it to much further if nothing unexpected happens. It has to overperform in places like China to become a break out hit.

Hmmm CM is gonna be in her 5th weekend when Shazam comes out yah? Doesn't that make it a bit of a nonfactor? I guess I'm pretty much in the minority, I think both movies can coexist(Shazam and EG that is). EG is gonna be huge no doubt, but I think Shazam can benefit from the inevitable spill out. Than again I'm pretty new at this, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. :shy: Just being optimistic ig. 

4 minutes ago, RollyCult said:

Hmmm CM is gonna be in her 5th weekend when Shazam comes out yah? Doesn't that make it a bit of a nonfactor? I guess I'm pretty much in the minority, I think both movies can coexist(Shazam and EG that is). EG is gonna be huge no doubt, but I think Shazam can benefit from the inevitable spill out. Than again I'm pretty new at this, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. :shy: Just being optimistic ig. 

Welcome to the boards! ;)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RollyCult said:

The pessimism is definitely down to the release date (along with the perceived failure in marketing required to overcome the release date). It's sandwiched in-between two MCU uber-blockbusters and next to another Disney family movie. So, potential siphoning of audience with Dumbo (I don't think it will be a huge impact, but I also don't agree with people using the MPR/AQM situation, as the release date was different and the target demos were different), and it being a smaller budget, smaller stakes superhero movie, featuring a little-known character. This, in the middle of the two MCU movies, could simply mean people won't spend that much through the Mar-Apr period on movies, and Shazam is the more likely of the major releases to suffer.

I don't necessarily agree with those points, but I can see where people are coming from. The way the box office was barren for the first two months could just as easily mean that every big release from here on breaks out as people are starved of must-see movies... I'm sticking by my mid-level hit predictions (550-600 WW with 175-200 DOM), but hoping for more, as I'm liking everything I'm seeing from this so far.